Hello from Utila, Honduras!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UtilaSarge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just signed up for the board and am glad to be here. Master Instructor (PADI). My wife and I retired to the island of Utila, which was the best decision we ever made! Now we run an all inclusive for dive couples and small groups, and we get to share our beautiful island and it's diving with others. Looking forward to interacting with other board members as topics come up.

Welcome, many folks have recommended Utila.
Thank you for the welcome! We have absolutely loved every moment of living in Utila. It is just coming up on many folks' radar and is unspoiled. Nothing fake or forced, just REAL island life from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave. My buddy LeRoy covered it when he said "When you come to Utila, you area a true traveler not just a tourist." Gorgeous diving on an unspoiled island - who could ask for more?

Welcome!

I'm seriously considering a similar lifestyle once some life things are sorted. Keep us jealous with pics and stories. :wink:

An multi month long extended stay on Utila is when I fell in love with the tropical diving life, over 20 years ago.
I arrived as a backpacker and left a diver, fair to say the experience changed the direction of my life. Great memories.

Thank you for the welcome! We have absolutely loved every moment of living in Utila. It is just coming up on many folks' radar and is unspoiled. Nothing fake or forced, just REAL island life from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave. My buddy LeRoy covered it when he said "When you come to Utila, you area a true traveler not just a tourist." Gorgeous diving on an unspoiled island - who could ask for more?
I'm curious, what fraction of the population is Spanish speaking? Any Maya or other non-Anglo languages spoken in public?

I'm curious, what fraction of the population is Spanish speaking? Any Maya or other non-Anglo languages spoken in public?
The official language on the island is english. As recently as a couple years ago it was what 80% or so of the population spoke. In the last couple of years, "mainlanders" have come to the island so now it's about 50/50 english amd spanish. Haven't heard any more ancient or exotic languages here.

Welcome!

I'm seriously considering a similar lifestyle once some life things are sorted. Keep us jealous with pics and stories. :wink:
From my first visit to the island, I knew my wife and I would move here. It took 3 years of doing at least one thing a day to get us to the point of being able to, but well worthit, as here we are! One step at a time instead of getting bogged down in the big picture is the way to do it! You can do it too!

Welcome to ScubaBoard. Hope you'll post us some photos and dive reports. Any shore diving there?

Richard.
Most diving is done from boats as we have a reef totally surrounding the island, but that also lends itself to a few great "walk out to the edge of the reef and go down" dives. Once I figure out how to post vids and or pics, I will. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom