Hello Grand Cayman 1-30 to 2-06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nipi:
the mossies there are the size of small birds ...

Yep - small birds. I always felt they were the biggest negative about Grand Turk.

BTW, have you noticed how Grand Cayman mosquitoes are becoming an endangered species, at least around South Sound? In 2000, you couldn't sit outside between 6:30 PM and 9 PM or so. Now, a mossie is a novelty ...

Dive 3 at 5:53pm 67ft 31minutes bottom time
This was a fun dive as the sun was setting and the shadows grew long. We dove the mini wall at turtle reef and this time went to the right the top of the wall is fun as it has large coral cropping or mounds that tons of life call home but this girl went over the wall into the shadows. To the right is really kewl because the wall rises more straight up and at the bottom the water current has was out small caverns. So your wall is 25 to 30 ft straight up and the caverns are 4 to 6 ft in some places. We had fun just swimming the caverns it was somewhat overhead environment but great fun. This time unlike previous dives we turned right and flowed with the current and did a type of drift dive we went to the right only for abput 1000psi as we knew we would swim against it going home. When we both had used 1/3 of our air we ascended up the wall and turned toward home as we got shallower the current was a bit strong so I ducked down into the cuts and swam toward land. It was a fun dive and great exercise and I gotta tell you “To the right” rocks.
Kim P :wink:

Divergirl4u:
2-1-07
Turtle reef
Max 84ft 31 minutes bottom time
This morning we decided to go out to the big wall on turtle reef, if you swim out following the buoys it is about 150 yards out from the shore entrance so we swam the first 100 yards or so and dropped down to the sandy bottom at about 60ft. Here we found worms … garden worms or something like that and they dig tunnels in the sand to live in….. they are long like over a foot and skinny they are in patches all over the bottom … like flower patches. So as you approach them they duck back down into the sand until you swim past. After a swim we came to the top of the main wall it starts in about 70 ft and you can tell by the huge mounds of corals that you are almost there. I found moral eels and had a real good time playing with a very curious baby sea turtle he or she joined up for several minutes of our dive and we hope the pictures come out well. We swam down a cut and out over the edge of the wall … so beautiful. The sea temps you with amazing tropical fish below you (100ft +) but you want to stay down as long as possible you must stay up a bit 80ft and above most of the time was where we stayed. Great dive many, many well everything.
Dive 2
Sting Ray City
What a fun dive this is a total must do for any diver who is not intimidated by marine life … cause those rays are all over you. I loved it so I took my place next to the DM the whole time because he was the one with the squid so all the fish and rays swam around and around him .. and me.
They took us out near a reef in shallow water told us to over weight ourselves to stay securely on the bottom. I was the first diver down and the ray came right up and said hello … got food. They would pass all around you rubbing their soft underbellies against you. The DM instructed us (if brave) to hold our hand out in a fist with thumbs up ..like a time to surface signal and the ray would think you have squid in your hand but due to the fact that their mouth is on the bottom your thumb stuck up stops them , and they stay right there so you can move them around and get under them and stuff before they swim away, like a ray hat. We stayed down for 43 minutes and place with the rays and one very friendly moral eel came out to play as well .. he hung around me for a while swimming up and down me but lost interest and went after the DM’s squid container. I was ok with this because he was like 5 ft long … big boy. But a very interesting experience.
Loved this dive all 12 ft of it.
Dive 3 coming up in a hour or so …
Kim P

2-2-07 Dive Report The North Wall
Hammerhead Hill
33 minutes 91ft 33% Nitrox
North Wall is very much more dramatic then the other dives up to this point. On the West end where the weather has permitted dives until today The main wall is a wall but has a sort of slope to it. Not the North end baby it drops straight down into blueness and is truly something amazing to swim out over. This sigh is a large mound of coral that sit at about 45 to 70 ft Huge. It was beautiful but as we rounded one side you see the drop come into sight. I swam out over the edge and just stopped and looked. I watched the other divers in my group as they swam out over as well some start sinking right away and don’t even notice how deep they are so be careful and watch your buoyancy. I dropped down about 20 ft and looked and the many cracks and crevices there with my light found a cut up through the wall and ascended it following my buddy. This was great fun but they kept us as a small group.

Queens Throne
37 minutes 72 ft 33% Nitrox
The dive master said group or buddies on this dive. My buddy and I ascended took a compass reading and headed back the wall. In this area the top of the wall was about 55ft so we swam and played on the top 20ft of the wall. This is where the giant lobsters live OMG they are huge and looked yummy. We found a really great swim through that got a bit tight toward the top of the wall but plenty of room for this diver girl. Both of these sites have tons of sea life of all varieties. I hope my pictures come out. More to come…
Kim P

I am booked am Dive Tech 2-4-07... join me :)

Thanks for the great reports. My wife and I will be down there in May for our 20th anniversary at Sunset House. We plan on diving Turtle reef while we are there.

2-3-07
Turtle reef 67ft 37 minutes bottom time
Today was a one dive day as the last three days have worn me down. So today we retraced our steps (to the left) on the dive that our camera got flooded and found the large tarpon canyon and got some shots of them in their caverns. We also found a large anemone that had blue tops and it was beautiful. This was a nice relaxing dive and I enjoyed the chance to just relax and soak in the view. More to come tomorrow.
Kim P

2-4-07 The North Wall ….
Tarpon Alley
102ft 30 bottom time …

Lemon reef
66ft 37 bottom time ….

Cobalt reef Dive Tech location
76ft 32 bottom time …

Night dive Turtle Reef (my first night dive)
58ft 25 bottom time ….

Report soon to follow

Eden Rock is a must do ... full of fun swim throughs and just a great shore dive out of George town

Back to Tampa Fl today .... Thanks Grand Cayman ... you will be in my dreams :)

carlislere:
Thanks for the great reports. My wife and I will be down there in May for our 20th anniversary at Sunset House. We plan on diving Turtle reef while we are there.

I wished you would have asked first. The guy running the dive op at Sunset is ex Redsail Sports....so you dive unreasonable profiles (IMHO). First dive 40 minutes....second 50 minutes.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom