Hello!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island Style

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My name is Brent and I live in Kaneohe.

I just got into diving having completed the PADI Open Course out of the Ocean Concepts store in Pearl Harbor.

Looking forward to getting more dives in...I just came back from Maui and although I didn't get to dive there...the waters were awesome.

I now need to pick up a BC and regulator set...

Looking to pick up a size lg ScubaPro Knighthawk with Air2 and an Atomic Regulator set...anyone have one they want to sell?

Thanks,

FWIW, If I had to do it all over again, I'd recommend looking into a backplate and wing setup rather than a more traditional bc like the knighthawk. As a former user of an Air2, I'd also recommend against that and in favor of a longhose setup as well. You might want to get in touch with ONFLOAT SCUBA Quality Gear at quality prices for gear, they are local as well.

Matt

Welcome Brent! My wife and I live in Kailua and love the diving here in Hawaii. I have a LG KnightHawk w/ AIR2, but I don't plan to part with it anytime soon I'm afraid. For my two cents, it's an excellent BC, and the AIR2 works fantastic and leaves me one less hose to deal with. In fact, my wife just bought the same setup (ladyhawk of course) and we've been over in Kauai enjoying it for the last few days. I highly recommend it.
Now all I need is an Oceanic DataMask and I'll be handsfree!! j/k, my wallet is about to go on strike as it is. :11:

Something to think about...

How well does an Air2 deliver gas (air) at depth. It might be fine during drills when you are calm, and your buddy is calm..but when the doodo hits the fan, personally i would not want to trust my life and in turn my buddy's life to an Air2. This of course is just one point of view...so take it for what it is worth.

Welcome to the underwater world. Anytime you want to go diving just drop a line out here or a pm and somebody will get you out.

Jay

Brent,
From my experience the Air2 delivers plenty of air to keep up with two divers, but the hose is really too short to be comfortable to use for any length of time. At the minimum I would recommend a traditional octo, best would be a long hose and bungied back-up :)

Matt

I'm with you boys...... Death to the Air2. Pain in the neck to teach rescue students a proper ascent while on an alternate while venting air from the BCD.

Standard Octo = Good Choice,
Long Hose = Better Choice

Oh and so not to get off topic..... Welcome Brent, come check out the FOKDers (Friends of Kaimana Divers)

G

Welcome to the diving world....if you want to check out some diving up on the north shore pm me sometime. I am a instructor, and we are always up on the north shore doing fun dives, plus you can learn the area pretty well that way. As for gear setup, I have had a nighthawk, probe (jacket style) and zeagle. All are very good, however I now went to a bp/w setup with long hose config. I love it and will never go back to anything else. Fits perfectly and the longhose is great if you should ever run into problems. As for the AIR2, I used the atomic ss1 in the past which is pretty much the same, however the hose is way too short and if you are not going to do the longhose setup, at least get a standard octo. the standard octo at least gives you some room for emergencies. As for regs, atomics are great breathers. I have had those and s600 scubapros. You cant go wrong with either of them. But PM me sometime if you want to do some diving.
As for where to buy gear....Talk to bob over at aarons in kailua. And if you want alot of info on backplate and wings, check out island divers hawaii at hickam. They have rental halcyon eclipses and I am sure they would let you try it out in the pool above the shop if you want to see what a bp/wing feels like before you buy anything. Also Dive Oahu is located at MCBH Kaneohe.

I've used an air2 for teaching for years and haven't had an issue with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom