Help! Case for PT 020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Though you've made your purchase there's always tomorrow for more gear. :)

I had the same issue and rather than having two Pelican cases, one for photo and one for video, I bought a Lowepro Mini Trekker backpack which easily holds the housing. I use a backpack on the plane anyway and this holds the housing and the video camera, nicely protected, and my book, etc in a good carrying backpack. The single regulator case is separate. The wife carries her own now. :)

Nay:
Hi,
My husband bought me a C5060 with a PT 020 for xmas with a pelican 1450 case. I was playing with it last night and I don't think the PT 020 will fit.
What do other PT 020 users use? I have no strobe yet but had planned on leaving a space for one. The concern I have is the height of the housing. I'll mostly be doing local boat trips with minimal airline travel. I have a boat trip Sunday and wanted to take everything with me.
Thanks

Try putting the housing in with the back lid hinged open or remove the lens port, its not a good idea to fly with the housing totally sealed any. The pelican cases really should be for the cameras non water proof items and other electronic devices. The housing and strobes arms etc. are meant to be knocked around, warping them in your wet suit or towels with the other dive gear should work.

The strobe's battery covers should also be left loose, in order for them to vent at 35,000 ft.

Dive Safe

HMMmmmmmm I can't say I entirely agree with f3nikon. I would never transport the case open. Any possible hit might bend the door attachment leading to a leak. I do not transport the housing with the o-rings in it. They are safely tucked into their own ziplocks for travel. This protects against pressure buildup while traveling. removing the port, however, is OK in my book. While the case may be able to take more "knocking around" than the camera, why let it, if it is avoidable. I protect everything as if I could never afford to replace it. Why? because I CAN'T afford to replace it!

Allison Finch:
HMMmmmmmm I can't say I entirely agree with f3nikon. I would never transport the case open. Any possible hit might bend the door attachment leading to a leak. I do not transport the housing with the o-rings in it. They are safely tucked into their own ziplocks for travel. This protects against pressure buildup while traveling. removing the port, however, is OK in my book. While the case may be able to take more "knocking around" than the camera, why let it, if it is avoidable. I protect everything as if I could never afford to replace it. Why? because I CAN'T afford to replace it!

Why would you worry about an open case? What would the UW housing hit in a FOAMED Pelican case? UW housings take on more abuse during a dive than it would warpped in a wet suit, as I said. I have seen tanks and weight belts dropped on bare housings or housings dropped form cleaning tables. Then why go through all the trouble, buy an ice chest and use it for all the UW gear.

I leave the housing open just to load or remove the camera. After that, I always leave the housing shut. The weak point of any housing is an open door. Anything that would hit or tweak an open door might bend the hinge or clamp that closes it and seals it shut. That might permanently damage the housing. The housing is at it's toughest when it is shut. Yes, then it can take a lot of abuse, but why would you want it to?
Again, I think it is asking for trouble to transport the housing with the door left in the open position. Just my humble opinion.......

Nay:
you know, it's like technology buys. Always buy something bigger or more than you think you need so you don't have to re-buy it in six months. I was just in denial.

You're going to have a blast in La Paz. Ever been? It is my wife and I's favorite place to dive. Here are some pictures we took in LaPaz with our Olympus C-4040. (just the camera and housing)

http://community.webshots.com/user/tlp473

triggertravel:
You're going to have a blast in La Paz. Ever been? It is my wife and I's favorite place to dive. Here are some pictures we took in LaPaz with our Olympus C-4040. (just the camera and housing)

http://community.webshots.com/user/tlp473

Thank you for the photos! You've got a few great manta shots. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom