Help choose the right BC & regulator system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on .. help me !!

I'm 170 cm tall and weigh 54 kg which is 110lbs.

What is the best bc for me?

For now, the best BC for you is probably one that doesn't cost you much, like a rental, so you can get enough experience to choose wisely based on experience with different BC types. I would not buy anything until you have a few dives with a metal backplate/wing set up in addition to soft BCs like the one you're considering.

For the regulator, they all work fine, it doesn't really matter what you get. Diaphragm or piston will make zero difference for your diving experience unless you're diving in a drysuit in freezing temps. The main consideration is ease of maintenance over time. Is there a mares dealer in your area that can service it? If service is a problem, you'll be replacing that regulator eventually, so don't spend a lot.

First thing is that good deals come and go many times a year. Dont be in a rush to buy equipment before you get a feel for diving and learn your strengths and weaknesses. Then target your purchases around your diving goals. From the post it appears you are set on a certain type of gear from research. That is part of the equation. Experience is the other part.

Then get a feel for the type of gear you will be diving before you commit the money. You can rent gear to get a feel for it. Also a lds can size you correctly for the gear which makes a huge difference in comfort. Translate that into easier time focusing on the instruction vs constantly adjusting gear during a dive.

You have a great enthusiasm for diving. Just start out slow to get a feel for the equipment so you can also add your preferences to your purchases.

I had my 10yr old son certified in a BP & DR travel wing... just sayin. Also, had him on a flathead 7 1st with 2 Apeks XTX50's as I like the smoothness of the XTX over the Zeagle 2nd's. I love that flathead 7 1st stage.

Just buy the right thing once.

With the regulator - for recreational diving then pretty much any currently available regulator will do - the differences are down to personal budget and preference - for example, do you want the compact second stage, myflex hoses, extra ports for extra hoses or transmitters and so on. For basic recreational diving up to 30m / 100ft then balanced or unbalanced doesn't really matter for diving purposes - as an instructor I prefer balanced but they are a little more complex and therefore more expensive to service - again, speak as an instructor I can service my own so it's not a big deal but it's a consideration for recreational divers who are not able to do this. If you're financially comfortable then it's up to you how far up the ladder you move from 'basic'.

As for the nitrox compatible or not - as others have mentioned, for recreational nitrox up to 40%, all regulators are compatible, but over 40% (the preserve of technical diving) then yes, special parts and materials are required. The only difficulty I could see with a regulator that is listed as not nitrox compatible would be some uppity dive centre somewhere who won't give you nitrox because it's not listed in the manufacturer's specification and therefore some sort of liability issue. I've never encountered this anywhere I've worked.

As for the BCD - yes - I would look at getting some training/experience/further knowledge about buoyancy but in terms of the BCD - you're a small person and whatever you buy will support you in the water. I weigh around 80kgs/175lbs and for years dived with a size small BCD, even though for regular clothes I am L - XL. And there is my point - BCDs do not come ins standard sizes. Some will take into account the use of thick wetsuits or drysuits and therefore a Large BCD designed to be worn with a thick suit might be way too big if you're diving in a rash vest and shorty - and yes, that includes adjustment. I would guess that the XS size would fit you but that is only a guess and my very strong recommendation is that you try on a particular brand of BCD before buying, or get a recommendation from somebody who is experienced enough with the product to say that yes, this will fit you. Regulators from the internet, yes, because one size fits all, but BCDs, wetsuits, booties, fins, masks, try before you buy unless you know that a particular product will fit you (for example, you used a rental set on holiday which was fitted correctly by your instructor and know that you require this or that size of a particular brand.)

Long answer I know.... hope it helps a little though.

Cheers

Come on .. help me !!

I'm 170 cm tall and weigh 54 kg which is 110lbs.

What is the best bc for me?

I mean the back-inflate mares has xs size too. So why they would manufacture this size for 45lbs lift bc if it wouldn't be suitable for thin boys?

Your height and weight helps with the selection of the size but have little effect on lift requirements. Where do you plan to use your BCD? What tanks do you plan to use? What exposure protection do you plan to use? How deep do you plan to dive? How much weight do you plan to carry?

Manufacturers care most about selling their products; not about making them most suitable for you. Most buyers are rather [poorly informed and manufacturers and retailer may capitalize on that. Excess lift may feel nice on the surface as it props you up above the chop, but it will get in your way UW.

With the regulator - for recreational diving then pretty much any currently available regulator will do - the differences are down to personal budget and preference - for example, do you want the compact second stage, myflex hoses, extra ports for extra hoses or transmitters and so on. For basic recreational diving up to 30m / 100ft then balanced or unbalanced doesn't really matter for diving purposes - as an instructor I prefer balanced but they are a little more complex and therefore more expensive to service - again, speak as an instructor I can service my own so it's not a big deal but it's a consideration for recreational divers who are not able to do this. If you're financially comfortable then it's up to you how far up the ladder you move from 'basic'.
If the OP dives in cold water (around here the local dive areas are quarries and the water is in the 40s F or lower at depth) a regulator designed for cold temperatures might be a good idea. At my local quarry the rules say you need such a regulator to go deeper than 50 feet.

No ..

And it's not explained in PADI book.

There are brief description of the gear, air pressure change and advices for better scuba experience.

I read that back-inflate is uncommon and used for double tanks. And the most common is jacket style.

So, I think I would choose mares spirit or back-inflate for better balance underwater.

---------- Post added April 28th, 2015 at 02:56 AM ----------

For now, the best BC for you is probably one that doesn't cost you much, like a rental, so you can get enough experience to choose wisely based on experience with different BC types. I would not buy anything until you have a few dives with a metal backplate/wing set up in addition to soft BCs like the one you're considering.

For the regulator, they all work fine, it doesn't really matter what you get. Diaphragm or piston will make zero difference for your diving experience unless you're diving in a drysuit in freezing temps. The main consideration is ease of maintenance over time. Is there a mares dealer in your area that can service it? If service is a problem, you'll be replacing that regulator eventually, so don't spend a lot.

I can't rent what I want. The shop is relatively small and they didn't provide me suited gear. The regulator leaks little water and the bc is large.

So I don't have much options.

Why the backplate/wing ? is it light ?

Because I was having a hard time breathing from that regulator, I don't know how a new piston regulator is ? So I decided to buy a balanced diaphragm regulator because I understood that they breath and perform better.

Even if I decided to dive in a freezing temp .. which is a very far possibility, there are of course special gear for rent in that country.

No mares dealer here .. maybe in may hometown.

Yeah thanks for the tips :)

I had my 10yr old son certified in a BP & DR travel wing... just sayin. Also, had him on a flathead 7 1st with 2 Apeks XTX50's as I like the smoothness of the XTX over the Zeagle 2nd's. I love that flathead 7 1st stage.

Just buy the right thing once.

I didn't understand the abbreviations.

So flathead is a 1st stage and XTX is the 2nd stage. Are they designed for boys?

So flathead is a 1st stage and XTX is the 2nd stage. Are they designed for boys?
Correct on the regulator parts. The Flathead is the Zeagle flagship 1st stage. Currently at Flathead 7 (though 8 is releasing shortly, the 1st stages are nearly identical). XTX is the Apeks 2nd stage. No, they aren't designed for boys. Both are great regs and are quite capable of delivering a lot of air.

Based on what you wrote about the reg you used, it's possible you had an unbalanced piston regulator, which does breathe harder as tank pressure drops. More than likely, though you had a regulator in need of service. Since you indicated that you don't have a lot of options renting, I'm assuming that there aren't a whole lot of dive shops near you. If that is indeed the case, I'd recommend limiting your regulator search to the brands that are sold around you. That way you'll be able to get them serviced when needed. What brands are available near you? You don't need the top of the line from any brand, but I'd also stay clear of the bottom of the line as well.

All these guys are making great suggestions. I am just finishing my ow cert. If I would have bought a vest BC cause everyone on the padi video had vest style bcd I would have been very upset after trying my instructors wing. BUT THAT IS JUST ME. Are There no other dive shops in your area? The shop I am doing my course with, the owner was going to loan me his nomad setup just to see if I liked the back Inflate style bcd in the pool. He has now offered it for my lake dives. I am not a instructor Or even that far along on my diving hobby but If I was in your shoe (1 dive shop around) I would drive out of my way to dive with another that had equipment I was interested in. Heck I am going @ 5 hrs to Oklahoma City for a 1 hr pool dive just to try different Back inflate bcd. They have at least 1 brand I was looking at and they think Ill like another brand they have better. So Before I buy even a new or used one, (which they sell) , With them ,My lds or on the internet. I am going to try one out on a dive.

Correct on the regulator parts. The Flathead is the Zeagle flagship 1st stage. Currently at Flathead 7 (though 8 is releasing shortly, the 1st stages are nearly identical). XTX is the Apeks 2nd stage. No, they aren't designed for boys. Both are great regs and are quite capable of delivering a lot of air.

Based on what you wrote about the reg you used, it's possible you had an unbalanced piston regulator, which does breathe harder as tank pressure drops. More than likely, though you had a regulator in need of service. Since you indicated that you don't have a lot of options renting, I'm assuming that there aren't a whole lot of dive shops near you. If that is indeed the case, I'd recommend limiting your regulator search to the brands that are sold around you. That way you'll be able to get them serviced when needed. What brands are available near you? You don't need the top of the line from any brand, but I'd also stay clear of the bottom of the line as well.

Actually, the tank was full .. mostly I didn't feel comfortable with it, and feel like it dragging my mouth to the hose direction.

Yeah, I think because it was an unbalanced piston, I weren't breathing very well.

There are three dive shops in the city .. it's a small city. It doesn't matter of to service it in this city. My hometown is one of the biggest cities in the kingdom, it has more advanced shops.

I'm thinking of the one in the starting post. I just want to be sure if it's balanced diaphragm and nitrox compatible.

If the OP dives in cold water (around here the local dive areas are quarries and the water is in the 40s F or lower at depth) a regulator designed for cold temperatures might be a good idea. At my local quarry the rules say you need such a regulator to go deeper than 50 feet.

Is it best just to rent the special gear for the freezing or cold areas?

First thing is that good deals come and go many times a year. Dont be in a rush to buy equipment before you get a feel for diving and learn your strengths and weaknesses. Then target your purchases around your diving goals. From the post it appears you are set on a certain type of gear from research. That is part of the equation. Experience is the other part.

Then get a feel for the type of gear you will be diving before you commit the money. You can rent gear to get a feel for it. Also a lds can size you correctly for the gear which makes a huge difference in comfort. Translate that into easier time focusing on the instruction vs constantly adjusting gear during a dive.

You have a great enthusiasm for diving. Just start out slow to get a feel for the equipment so you can also add your preferences to your purchases.

I saw different packages, and I think this is the best for me. It has total price of $752 + $89 shipping .. $841

How about this price?

Back
Top Bottom