Help!....dive problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing wrong with the Gulf of Mexico, and I wouldn't want to trade in my swimsuit for a drysuit, anyday.

I dove W. Palm back in June. Had blisters on the back of my heels from my straps slipping up my booties. ( I got spring straps now and better booties) I washed my wounds when I got back to the hotel. I did 6 dives total off the same area over 2 days. Within 48hrs I had huge blisters on my right foot that were not areas that had been rubbed, I developed swelling and finally cellulitis all in a matter of days. This is a staf infection coming from sewage in the water. There had been alot of rain the week before my dive and alot of particulate in the water. I went through 10 days of potent antibiotics, luckily it was a weak strain of staf...not the tougher one that is called the "flesh eating" type. I was out of the water 2 months because it took a long time for the wounds to heal. I was not about to get into water until my skin was healed. I now carry iodine with me on all dives. It will kill a fair majority of bugs, it stings like heck but now every cut gets treated and I scrub out my booties after each dive. I also now wear lycra socks that reduce any friction rub. Rob Stewart (SHARKWATER) developed the nasty staf infection and almost lost a leg. It got in his system from cuts on his feet. So it can affect anyone. It's just the reality of the dives and the area we dive in.

Good luck! Make sure your wounds are healed before you get in the water. Also remember, your immune system is a bit weaker after being on antibiotics.

Carolyn:sharks:

There is nothing wrong with the Gulf of Mexico, and I wouldn't want to trade in my swimsuit for a drysuit, anyday.

Apparently there's something wrong with the water the OP was in.

Terry

You can be as confused as you like, however it's most likely related to the sewage that's dumped there.

Although the video refers to Delray, the gulf has the same problems.

I have to say that if I got any significant skin disease around any coastal areas, the first thing I'd be looking into is sewage.

Terry

I dove W. Palm back in June. Had blisters on the back of my heels from my straps slipping up my booties. ( I got spring straps now and better booties) I washed my wounds when I got back to the hotel. I did 6 dives total off the same area over 2 days. Within 48hrs I had huge blisters on my right foot that were not areas that had been rubbed, I developed swelling and finally cellulitis all in a matter of days. This is a staf infection coming from sewage in the water. There had been alot of rain the week before my dive and alot of particulate in the water. I went through 10 days of potent antibiotics, luckily it was a weak strain of staf...not the tougher one that is called the "flesh eating" type. I was out of the water 2 months because it took a long time for the wounds to heal.
Carolyn:sharks:

I was in Palm Beach last week and went diving at a site they called Moray Alley I believe. Anyway, as the Captn was briefing us before the dive he said there was a large pipe in the water that use to carry sewage out from the city. It had since been stopped and was only used now when there had been alot of rain and they used it for runoff.......strange huh?

You can be as confused as you like, however it's most likely related to the sewage that's dumped there.

I have to say that if I got any significant skin disease around any coastal areas, the first thing I'd be looking into is sewage.

Terry

wow... powerful video..

I agree, keep the dry suits for the fresh water springs.

Naw, they can keep those too :)

Apparently there's something wrong with the water the OP was in.

Terry

Maybe, maybe not. It could be a number of things, and its obviously not an ongoing problem as I've never heard of it occuring to anyone else and I live in the area.

Terry

:shakehead:Your probably right, Id better not go diving in Delray........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom