Help! Ducomi Pier - Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caloy, than you passed me probably at Mikes shop, I was hanging around there (and at other places) Sat evening...

Yeah, there was some Metal and leather around... more pictures on my world-famous dumaguete-site... Big bikes in Dumaguete City - Dumaguete Forum

It is actually a charity bike run to Bayawan and Back, raising money for school supply for poor kids

Attachments

• Dumaguete-Bikes-5.jpg
    Dumaguete-Bikes-5.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Dumaguete-Bikes-4.jpg
    Dumaguete-Bikes-4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Dumaguete-Bikes-9.jpg
    Dumaguete-Bikes-9.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 38
Hello all:

I'm Mario. My family and I attempted to dive DUCOM pier yesterday (Monday). Alas, only my younger son was able to complete the dive. My older son had problems descending and me, my wife, and he aborted. The condition wasn't good. Moderate waves and surges caused a lot of stir. Viz about 6 feet at 20 ft depth, half way from shore to one of the smaller anchoring piers. The inner small anchoring pier had big puffers and bat fish according to my son (he isn't experienced with critter life yet). There was definitely on going work on the pillars especially those closer to the cemented foundation.

A group from Manila and a foreigner couple hosted by my friends (NERDs Dive club) were supposed to dive the pier last sunday. I'll get some info from them.

Cheers!
Mario

Hello all:

A group from Manila and a foreigner couple hosted by my friends (NERDs Dive club) were supposed to dive the pier last sunday. I'll get some info from them.

Cheers!
Mario

Mario, we were that group hosted by Attorney Gold. And yes we canceled that Ducomi dive and transferred to Dauin Sur. We stayed at Private Residences.

Thanks Rhoody, it's good to have a great resource person for 1st hand knowledge.

I kinda find it neat that the worker jumped in the water dressed like a regular auto mechanic...

I dived this site in April 2008 during a holiday in Dumaguete. It was the best site out of 36 that I explored whilst in the Philippines. I hope the work they need to do to maintain the pier structure doesn't destroy the natural habitat too much.

If you'd like to see what the dive site holds (or rather did hold), please follow this link to my short video. Hopefully one day, when the work is finished, it will be like this again.

YouTube - The Pier, Dumaguete (aka DuCoMi), Philippines [Video 1]

Enjoy!

I dived this site in April 2008 during a holiday in Dumaguete. It was the best site out of 36 that I explored whilst in the Philippines. I hope the work they need to do to maintain the pier structure doesn't destroy the natural habitat too much.

If you'd like to see what the dive site holds (or rather did hold), please follow this link to my short video. Hopefully one day, when the work is finished, it will be like this again.

YouTube - The Pier, Dumaguete (aka DuCoMi), Philippines [Video 1]

Enjoy!

Very nice video, thanks for sharing :)

Here is a shot I stole...

workpier-1.jpg

uwworkducomi-1.jpg

Looks like they're making an effort to preserve as much as they can. In the video that was posted by Mozart, the dive brief is showing a depth of 18 meters... is that correct? If so then they're leaving 15 meters of the piling untouched... (do I understand this correctly?)

Guess that's better than the alternative of waiting until the pier collapsed. Thanks for the photos Rhoody. Although bad enough, not as bad as many had feared. I've been given hope now that it will all come back once the work is completed.

Great video and well worth watching. Very much like the painted frogfish swimming.

Thanks for this.

Is this place a designated MPA yet?? It is one of the crown jewels of Philippine diving and ought to be.

Am planning to join a group to Dumaguete this April 23-26. Should I push through with it or wait till next year?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom