Help Get BC Myths Tested On MythBusters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps it would be more exciting as a "James Bond" theme test. Remember all the scooter and other DPV's in Thunderball? In a modern version of Thunderball, which BC style would result in the fastest scooter diver? There could be a bunch of different scooters and perhaps different operating styles; like holding with two hands, one hand, leashed, superman?

We are talking myth here, not honesty. :idk:

No problem, halemanō,

I personally would like all those who propose that a 6 lb SS backplate will allow you to take 6 lbs off your weight belt, and that somehow this is a net saving in effort, should step onto a scale with both a BP and an BC and see what the difference truly is. Of course the BP will put the weight above your lungs where it belongs. But imagine how much more so for a diver wearing a pointy SS diving helmet! The weight and the streamlining alone will surely allow you to out-race a marlin, or at least a stroke.

:rofl3:

The big weight savings with a BP/W have nothing to do with either the BP or W, but instead come from the harness setup that is used. A lot of BC harnesses have 3 to 4 lbs. of positive buoyancy. Replace that with a one piece continuous strap and you can take 3 lbs. or more of lead off your belt, plus you save a few lbs. on the dry weight of the harness.

Now if, on the other hand, you get the BP/W and rig it up with a fully padded harness system you might not realize any weight savings at all.

They have done many things that dont include blowing up stuff. It all depends on how it's presented. And I enjoy those as much as the blowing up stuff...
Jamie has a lot of diving experience, and I think adam has a fair amount, so they'd be good ones to do it.

Perhaps I was wrong; I thought the majority of SB's members who do not spend most of their time in the Pub were interested in expanding our knowledge of diving. Expanding our knowledge of dive gear seems to me to be a closely related topic.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/345954-jacket-bc-back-plate-wing.html

Above is a link to the most recent SB thread on going from Vest to BP/W, right here in this Basic Scuba Discussions forum. A number of SB posters made claims about BP/W's mythological superior "streamlining" starting with this one and including others;

My Instructor is a hard core Florida cave diver. He gave me the following pros:

1. BPW can be used for nearly all diving styles (Cave, wreck, Rec, tech)
2. Completely customizable and easily field repaired
3. Better center of gravity control
4. More streamlined
5. Less belt weight

I used a jacket in class and found that the bpw was less restricting and forced me to carry only necessary items as opposed jamming my pockets full of stuff. I felt much more horizontal and streamlined as well.

Pros, jgoodstein summed them up well but I'd also add they can often be cheaper than a BC.

By the way, a BP/W is a BC. :idk:

Seriously I bought it with the idea that it I would be more streamlined

I guess some members really are not interested in learning, they are more interested in arguing. :shakehead:

Booo, don't take away my fun! Can never argue too much about BP/Ws and BCs :D

Last edited:
halemanō;5405554:

Probably a local language difference, most people I know refer to a jack style as a BC, and always call a BP/W a BC.

I gues some members really are not interested in learning, they are more interested in arguing. :shakehead:

Coming from the person who won't even try one out... Dude, don't be a hypocrite, you are just as interested in arguing as me.

Here is a link to the most recent thread on the subject in the Equipment / BC forum;

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...995-jacket-style-back-inflating-opinions.html

Streamlining was also mentioned as a reason to get a BP/W in that thread as well;

2 thumbs up for back inflate. Me and my girlfriend both have a back inflate.

- Great for travel
- Streamline
- More Comfortable
- More horizontal position / better trim

The only downside is they tend to push you forward at the surface when inflated. Correct distribution of weight (trim pockets) and a good kick to get on your back and it becomes a non issue.

I have asked in many similar BC threads if anyone can link any studies proving their claims and no one has ever come up with a link.

Now I have initiated a possible path to getting some testing done, but suddenly all those BP/W's are more streamlined posters do not seem to want to get involved.

Kind of makes one wonder why. :confused:

halemanō;5405582:
Kind of makes one wonder why. :confused:

I do not think much of any testing done on gear as to which is best. Split fins v paddles, BC v BP/W. Whatever, it's what you find comfortable yourself and this varies a lot between people.

halemanō;5405554:
Probably a local language difference, most people I know refer to a jack style as a BC, and always call a BP/W a BC.
halemanō;5405554:
I guess some members really are not interested in learning, they are more interested in arguing. :shakehead:
Coming from the person who won't even try one out... Dude, don't be a hypocrite, you are just as interested in arguing as me.

First off, you typed "they can often be cheaper than a BC." I do believe BP/W is what you were referring to when you said "they" so what is communicated is "BP/W can often be cheaper than a BC" making the reader unsure that you understand that BP/W is a BC. :D

If "jack style" is a Vest style BC and you all refer to them as BC's, and you also "always call a BP/W a BC" then your SB typing style is obviously not the same as the way you talk among your mates. If you gave us half a chance, typing the way you talk might make communication easier. :shakehead:

Me trying out a BP/W will not answer the question "which BC style is most streamlined." I am trying to get someone we could all agree to as a source for information to conduct tests so we do not have to argue over something for which there are no known tests. :mooner:

If you really thought you could possibly be right about streamlining you would take your love of arguing over to the Discovery forum and flame me there so this subject has a chance at being studied. :eyebrow:

I'd also love to hear how me trying to get scientific measurements made with regards to a contentious point makes me a hypocrite? :idk:

Back
Top Bottom