Help identifying Oceanic regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul-toronto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, can anyone help me identify the model of the 1st stage regulator? I bought this set second-hand and want to have it serviced, but the shop is 45 minutes away so I want to call ahead and make sure they can service this specific model.

The brand is Oceanic, written on the black plastic knob, but I don't see a model name and haven't been able to find it by googling. I'm not even sure how old it is.

The 2nd-stage regulators are called "Oceanic Alpha" and "Cressi-sub fx" hopefully that's enough information for the shop to say whether they can service those.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 68
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 74
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 96
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 82
oceanic dx2

Thanks! I can’t find much info about this model online... must be older than I thought, maybe older than the internet. At least now I can find out if it’s still serviceable.

Update: the shop says this model is no longer supported and can’t be serviced. Feeling a bit of buyer’s remorse, and disappointed I won’t be able to join my friend diving.

I’m sure most people here already know this, but for any newbies looking for cheaper second-hand equipment I suggest finding out the model before you buy and check with a scuba shop if it can be serviced.

talk to a shop that is a trident dealer, the older oceanics should have generic parts available, you just have to find a shop that is willing to service them. the situation only becomes a problem if you need a non-standard overhaul part replaced.

Now might be a good time to learn DIY regulator service. Even if you don't want to service it yourself, having the knowledge will prove useful in making a decision on whether to keep it or not. You can also search through other manuals to see what the parts commonality is.

Here is a manual.

Attachments

• Dx2 Balanced Diaphragm.pdf
    972.6 KB · Views: 157
Now might be a good time to learn DIY regulator service. Even if you don't want to service it yourself, having the knowledge will prove useful in making a decision on whether to keep it or not. You can also search through other manuals to see what the parts commonality is.

Here is a manual.

Thanks couv, this is awesome! Definitely useful to have. After reading it I can tell I’m I’m not ready for DIY servicing... it requires a lot of special tools I don’t have, and several parts say “discard, do not reuse”. It definitely gives me a better appreciation for why servicing in a shop is so expensive, and why they don’t want to do it if the parts are no longer available.

If I can’t get it serviced in a shop I might open it up myself, but just for interest.... pretty much guaranteed it’ll never be put back together in one piece.

My plan was to help a friend who recovers people’s lost jewelry for them. The water is often pretty shallow, sometimes you could almost stand up, but scuba gear is still needed to keep your head and hands near the bottom. If we’re only going to a max depth of 10 feet or so (which I easily surpass without scuba gear), maybe I’ll just use these regulators without servicing, if I’m always just a few seconds from the surface. Hopefully that’s not a crazy dangerous idea?

Back
Top Bottom