HELP, I'm stressing over my Key Largo Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trwmodela:
SNIP...Give Bluewaters a try! Their boat holds only ten divers...this is great. http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/
Tim is right, Brent at BlueWater Divers is awesome, but you'd better call ahead to make sure you're qualified to dive the wrecks planned for the day. They do review dive logs and interview divers for experience. It sounds as though you might have some trouble based on your lack of dive experience so far.

Oceandivers only requires AOW OR proof of 2 deep dives in the last 12 months. This works out great for my husband who has been diving for 28 years and done several 130-140 ft dives to wrecks but thanks to SSI, only has an OW certificate. He was certified through NASDS as an AOW, but when he requested a replacement card from SSI (who merged with NASDS years ago) they sent him an OW card and told him that they changed the standards and if he wanted an AOW then he needs to pay again.

Thank goodness there are operators out there who recognize experience over a plastic card. Actually, Raindbow Reef said the same thing as Ocean divers.

First off, diving off of Largo is about as low stress, high fun diving that can be done. Most of the reefs are no deeper than 40' (depending upon where they drop you and the dive plan) which makes for zero safety stops, easy ascents to spot the boat, and other than buoyancy (which is more difficult shallow) the dives are pure enjoyment.

There are many options for boats. Brent and Blue Water divers runs a FIRST class outfit. If you are AOW, he is NOT going to charge you extra to dive the deeper wrecks... However, if you are NOT comfortable diving them, IMO pay the extra to get someone to accompany you.

The time to decide you needed an instructor is NOT when you are at 100'fsw on the Grove, and panicing because you are uncomfortable.

Brent LOVES to dive the Grove. I booked on a Monday/Tues, and as I was single, he was my dive buddy. He was an excellant dive buddy, and made my Grove Dive MUCH less stressful for which I thank him. On dive two, as he was able to keep up with my air comsumption :D we booked a solid hour on the Benwood. As an instructor he is not always available to dive, but with as much time as he has spent diving the Keys, it's obvious he still loves it, and IMO was the best DM I had over 18 dives in FL when I was last there.

IMO, when diving deep wrecks, do NOT jump on a cattle boat with an AOW cert, little confidence, and a ton of divers that may or may not belong on a deep wreck in current. However, booking a crowded boat for shallow reefs is not all bad if the price is right assuming you can partner with someone who can get 1 hour out of a tank of air (assuming you can).

IMO talk with Brent, and Blue Water Divers. He's a good guy, a smallish OP, and will do you right even if he's about $15 more a day then the cattle boat Ops (IMO worth it.. totally).

Capt Slate (Atlantis) has 3 boats, always has a DM along for the trip. Kinda large crowd, but a good staff. They will match you with a dive buddy, or put you with a willing and knowledgable pair of divers.

Aquanuts (Kellys on the Bay): Good staff, but ownership is changing in a few days. Hope they keep the staff they already have and you will have fun.

Scott Fowler (Partial Pressure / Doul Porpose sp?): Lots of awards, runs a small boat & is probably the best single dive operator in the area. He is also a tech/deep/wreck dive instructor and is willing to share info. Since he runs a 6-pac, he probably won't have a dive buddy for you, but you should call anyway.

It's A Dive: A little hard to find, small boat, good captain, but probably won't have a dive buddy to offer.

I tend to shy away from the cattle boats, but I always have a dive buddy along for the trips. Since you will be getting on the boat as a single, try to aim for the larger operations with more capacity. More of a hastle, but better chance of latching on to an experienced single dive buddy. If you can find a dive buddy on dry land, aim for the smaller charter operations. More personable service, more options for the dive & not as many other folks to contend with. Gotta hate the crowded reef dives when you are bumping into other divers & all of the critters have already been spooked. There is plenty of room on most of the local wrecks to find some clear water.

RonFrank:
SNIP...The time to decide you needed an instructor is NOT when you are at 100'fsw on the Grove, and panicing because you are uncomfortable...SNIP
... that's really the point to make here in this situation.

At the same time, many of us have been with "newer" divers who show incredible aptitude for more challenging dives like the Grove... it was Marvel's first dive and though we had an instructor along he didn't have to do a thing. Marvel was on top of it all the way, and what's more she KNEW she had it under control but was not overconfident.

There are two divers I would worry about accompanying- those who are uncomfortable in the water and those who do not pay attention. Having the AOW helps, but I'd dive with a calm, conscientious non-AOW diver on the Grove and would *NOT* dive with a skitchy or distracted AOW (ever again, lol). Of the latter two, at least the skitchy diver has a clue and is more likely to watch his time/air.

BTW, lol "Skitchy" is a technical term that should in now way be taken as an insult... it has more to do with a person's constitution than their attitude. We're all skitchy under some circumstances.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks as if there are plenty to choose from. I was thinking about the wrecks today. I think that if I do one of them, I will hire an instructor or at least someone much more experienced than I.

To re-iterate a couple of points: I am AOW certified. Just newly, however. Our deep dive was only to 77 feet (ran out of line on the dive flag...) and I have not been deeper on any other dive. I will probably mostly just do the reefs. Also, someone asked when -- I will be there from the 22nd to the 28th of Oct. Keep the replies coming, as I like to have as much information as possible.

-Aaron

Aaron, the Spiegel Grove and the Duane can be easy wrecks to dive, and then a few minutes later the current can kick up, making them much more difficult.

With just 4 dives outside of your classes, now is the time to take it easy and get used to being underwater. The wrecks will still be there a year from now.

Good call Charlie.

The wrecks won't go away (not sure about the reefs, with lots of tourist pressure). Look into visiting the Benwood, a good wreck at about 40' with a decent amount of structure. The Grove can be scary if the current is running and the Dwane has taken at least 2 more fatalities this year. Most of the reefs are nice and easy, and will give you the chance to work on fundamentals (buoyancy, comfort, equipment, navigation, respiration...) If you have a few days to spend in the keys, start out with the easier stuff, and save the harder dives for later in the visit. The Grove is a fun dive, but can be very challenging when the current is up. Don't even think about penetration!

This is another consideration. I'm an OK breather. I can get 90 minutes on an AL80 at 30' with more than 500psi to spare depending upon the circumstances. However when I dove the Grove, I initally used a bit more air than I would have expected. Granted I hit 117fsw for a minute or two, but still, I came up with maybe 600psi, and I would have expected to come up with more.

Granted we had hit our NDL's, done the plan, and did a VERY slow ascent, and SS so my air was fine. However I have dove with a number of people who use a LOT more air then myself.

I think I initially sucked air as I was actually a bit tired from driving, I was also excited and a bit aprehensive, and the current was RIPPING at the surface and much of the way down. We were basically flags on the line.

So make sure you are comfortable with breathing before doing the Grove. If you are a good breather, monitor your air, and if not Monitor your AIR. Thumb up when you hit whatever level your DM has discussed in the plan (likely 1000psi). Don't try and strech it out, it can be your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom