Help: Macro in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGoran

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have an advice on macro using a Nikonos IV with a 35mm in Belize? I'm looking for good sites, what ratio works best, what photo ops to look for and all the advice you can come up with. Help me, I’m a neophyte.

Don't use a Nikonos but we have a couple around here that do so they'll be along shortly!

Hello,

The nik IV-a is a good unit. To give good accurate info we'll need some things. What type of tubes/lens you are using and what type of strobe(s)?

I use the ikelite tubes, I have 1:1, 1:2 and 1:3. Keep in mind the DOF is paper thin and you can't see real time (thru the lens) I all but threw away my 1:1 tube.

Today if I want macro i'll reach for my housing but i carry my tubes as a backup.

Typical settings depends on the effects:

Black background: F/22, focus at infinity, shutter about 1/125
visible background: F/22, focus at infinity, shutter 1/60

Personaly I like to toy with odd settings on my housing, i've been known to use ambient macro shots with awsome results. I would *NEVER* try that with a nikonos.

Definately play around with it in the bath-tub and a ruler.

Ed

You will need to purchase macro tubes/framers. You can buy a set or just one at a time.

Ikelite no longer makes tubes for Nikonos cameras. The best place to buy is helix

If you were going to buy just one, I would recommend the 1:2 or even the 1:3. They are more versatile than the 1:1 and much easier to place correctly around your subject.

Set camera to f/22, strobe(s) on TTL, focus on infinity and fire away.

I prefer 1/60 for shutter speed, but you can play around with it.

Back
Top Bottom