HELP Making Goodman Handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah ... i know and that makes sense ... but my light didn't come with goodman hard handle so that part is out ... and why aren't you carrying a screwdriver at depth? :)

i hate how they have metal screws in plastic holes ... ugh!

I know absolutely nothing about cannister lights but why wouldn't you install stainless steel helicoils in the plastic? Is there not enough area around the screw hole?

Heli-Coil ( HeliCoil Inserts ) Helicoils Screw Thread Inserts | Emhart.com

I remember many years ago working on dirt bikes. The better bikes came with helicoils from the factory because they knew you would be taking them apart, frequently...

Richard

GREAT IDEA, but we would NOT be taking them apart much ... to be honest, we just want to be able to lock it down ... and when it loosens over time, i want to be able to tighten it without stripping ... the heliocoils are a great idea but a bit extreme here ... especially with the thickness of what we can sink them into

um ... ok ... thanks, does everyone have a copy of this book?

Hmm. No need to get all snippy. You asked for schematics, this book is the gold standard for DIY handles, and has everything you need - scale drawings, descriptions, etc.

Best of luck.

gombessa, sorry for coming across that way ... i was actually saying it with a grin on my face ... you actually seem to always give good advice. i appreciate it and was just messing around ... i dont know much about that book and do assume it is a quality text, but for the level of tech i plan on working with on my own gear, it may be overkill ... i have access to a machine shop and thought it would be pretty cool to make my own ... it wasnt really cost driven, but paying more for the text itsel than the cost of a goodman already proven does kind of tilt me towards not doing it ...
thats all
thanks though

Yahoo groups has one dedicated to dive lights. maybe you'll find what you need there.

I can take measurements of mine and a picture or two. Will that help?

gombessa, sorry for coming across that way ... i was actually saying it with a grin on my face ... you actually seem to always give good advice. i appreciate it and was just messing around ... i dont know much about that book and do assume it is a quality text, but for the level of tech i plan on working with on my own gear, it may be overkill ... i have access to a machine shop and thought it would be pretty cool to make my own ... it wasnt really cost driven, but paying more for the text itsel than the cost of a goodman already proven does kind of tilt me towards not doing it ...
thats all
thanks though

Ah, no harm done. I'm borrowing a friend's copy of the book now as I investigate the possibilities of building a DIY can light, but will likely need my own (as an aside, Airspeed has by far the most useful scuba field guides I've seen - regulator repair, exposure suit repair, gas mixing, etc.). If you're at all interested in some DIY aspect of a dive light, I'd suggest it's well worth the price.

Currently, r2t's link to the $30 DR handle is probably the best I've seen - I'm trying to get some info on dimensions, if it fits the lighthead it seems like a very inexpensive and convenient alternative.

But if you're looking for a true DIY job, I'd recommend checking out the DIY forum or maybe candlepowerforums - DIY can lights are not too uncommon, and the folks who make em have some good ideas for handles cheap (handle and light head holder all made from cut and heat-shaped pvc) and expensive (machined aluminum/steel).

If you're not married to the idea of a metal/hard goodman, another option to explore is whether you can modify the Oxycheq light sock to fit a standard MR11 light head.

Best of luck!

Not to sound cavalier here Ron, but how hard can it be? Take a chunk of AL and bend it in a U shape, put some holes or a slot... walla! It's done. I'm assuming you have some sort of ballasted light head??

Take a look at Oxycheq's website for some ideas on a hand sock, or whatever they call it. I've also seen 3/16 bungee cord used as a handle for a variety of light heads. I've seen Velcro straps used for 'em too.

On mine, made 2 aluminum slotted brackets, screwed them to the light(with a drop of locktite) and used a velcro strap...adjustable, comfortable, and easily repaired if the strap breaks

I'll do it. I'll try to get some pictures tonight, post tomorrow. I'll be busy getting all my stuff together and packed for the Gilboa meet and greet this weekend. :)

Back
Top Bottom