help me build my first BP/wings setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverAnderson once bubbled...

from Koplin
1/4" Backplate $175
Weighted STA $98

from 5th dimension
45# Pioneer wing $338
20# ACB Weight syste, $132
webbing kit $61

$804 total for a BP/wing. This seems expensive. How much do you figure I can reduce this to?

O.K..first I think that 18lbs on your back is a little much...especially if you ever happen to dive a steel tank....

Since you are diving mainly singles, you definetly do not need 45#s of lift it is overkill and probably not very streamlined.

Now those two things being said, fifth dimension has a 36# single tank set-up (everything you need) for 555$..you don't need one of those ACB weight systems.

Oxycheq sells plates (the koplin plates) and soon will be selling wings. FredT also sells plates, and they are a bit cheaper. All 3 (5d, oxy, fred) sell STAs in different weights. Reefscuba sells all the hardware & webbing for a harness and bent D-rings.

However, before you jump off the deep end, I suggest trying a BP somewhere and seeing if you like it. Also do a weight check as I think 26lbs. is too much weight. How big are you? (me...I'm 6', 240, and wear a 6.5mil john, 6.5 mil shorty, hood, gloves, etc.....and I wear 21 lbs.).

That's my input

Koplin suggested I get a medium 1/4" and weighted STA (weighing in at 18lbs) and a 45lbs wing. I'd be left with ~8lbs ditchable weight.

Probably just wants the extra $129. You are probably a bit over weighted at 26 pounds and switching from the Zeagle will save you some weight. 45# is definatly overkill.

I'd go with the Pioneer 36# MC system as others mentioned. $550 and you got it all. Take the 6# on your back 2 more for dropping the Zeagle and another 2-4 just because you are probably over weighted and you are down to needing 14-16. If you want that weight to be non-ditchable (not really recomended when diving a thick wetsuit) then get a P weight from Fred T and save your money while keeping the tank closer to your back.

Sub-topic: what brand Halcyon vs. Diverite vs. whomever?

I'm not a big fan of Halcyon or Diverite, or any company that tries to fix their prices but Halcyon is the only one out there with a good backplate solution for singles.

Good advice James...

The more weight you can have that is on your back the better. Weight belts with too much weight pull your pelvis down too much and destroy trim. If you get a SS backplate and perhaps a weighted single tank adapter you may only need a few pounds on a belt or you cak use keel weights, then you will be in great shape!

DiverAnderson once bubbled...
First I should give my background. I began diving in Monterey three years ago. Dive with 26 pounds of lead, 7mm suit and a Zeagle Ranger BC. I use an Air2 octo, rent aluminum 80s and only dive single tank, mostly shore dives, No penetration dives, no deep (>100ft) dives. Occasional night dives and hunting.

Koplin suggested I get a medium 1/4" and weighted STA (weighing in at 18lbs) and a 45lbs wing. I'd be left with ~8lbs ditchable weight....
Damn, that's a lot of weight in a backplate.

Consider NOT getting the weighted STA, and putting the money from that into your own steel tank - if you're used to using AL80s, look at a LP80 or E7-100 tank, that will shave 4-5 pounds from your weighting requirements immediately. I used to dive an 11 pound backplate/STA combination, and I was so overweighted up-top, my head was pointing at the bottom. I dropped the heavy STA for a lightweight one, and my trim improved dramatically. An 18 pound backplate would had me on my head (6'3", 220lb). The 45lb wing is not overkill for Monterey.

The tank is part of your overall weighting solution - take a step forward and get your own tank, and eliminate one variable from your weighting from dive to dive, and stop throwing money away on rentals. It doesn't take many dives each year for a tank to pay for itself.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
somewhere and seeing if you like it. Also do a weight check as I think 26lbs. is too much weight. How big are you? (me...I'm 6', 240, and wear a 6.5mil john, 6.5 mil shorty, hood, gloves, etc.....and I wear 21 lbs.).
Is that 21# plus your plate or including the plate? I'm 6'3", 215, and wear 18 on my belt plus a heavy Fred-T and STA (about 11 pounds)... this is with a PST HP120.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

TLS350, Bare Polar Extreme (200g Thinsulate, 200g Polartec).

I was just curious as i use almost the same set up.I use a fredt heavy plate with a 2 pc STA and a 9lb channel with a 7lb weight belt. I dive with a Faber LP95 tank. I use trilam drysuit with 300gm undies from janice.

I also dive a set of double 72's and actually prefer them over diving singles. They dont weigh a whole lot more and its nice to have the redundant first stages.

Hey thanks for all the help so far everybody, I've gotten some very useful information. To clarify some things, I have tried a Halcyon 36# setup once and loved it. I felt like the tank was part of my body. Also, with all the air out of my BC, I have to exhale to sink which I think means I am properly weighted. With the heavy northern surge and the savage rocks, when you shore dive like I do it is best to stay under the water than being underweighted and thrown against the rocks.

Also, steel tanks are great and I really want one but I travel around and, since aluminum 80s are the standard, I'd like a system that I don't have to fiddle with. Good advice tho.

Any thoughts on harnesses? I've seen webbing that crosses over your shoulders, webing that doesn't, setups with metal rings and chest straps and some without. Share your experiences with these?

Thanks again, I think my first BP / wings setup is going to be good, thanks to you!

Lots of good ideas here...let my add mine.

All of the plates listed thus far are quality plates but I would vote for the FredT. Not only does he make a fine product but he also is a stand-up guy. Pick your plate based on your weight requirement...a 9# heavy FredT with a 3# or 6# STA is hard to beat for use with a thick wetsuit. Fred also has a webbing/hardware kit. I bet, if you're watching your pennies, Fred's plate and harness would be hard to beat.

Figure your weight so that you don't need more than 10# or preferably 8# on your waist. Make up the rest on your back with a combination of plate, STA, P-weight, or my personal favorite - Halcyon camband trim pockets. The trim pockets are great for quick tweaking of the weights. (I hear that Diverite has some that are quite a bit cheaper than the Halcyon pockets.)

Also, consider Halcyon cam bands...the stainless steel buckles are great. If you get their STA it should come with these bands. Their STA is a about 3#. They advertise a heavy STA (6#) but I've never seen one for sale. I think maybe FredT has SS buckles available, too.

I like the old fashion weight belt with hard weights. If you keep it under 10# then you really don't notice that it's there. I have the Halcyon quick release pockets, too. They are O.K. I guess. But if you go with the 27# wing you might not want to put all of your weight on your rig.

I'm looking forward to Koplin's single wing...especially his 30# wing. But until they are available, the Pioneer is your best bet. I like the 27# wing and I use it with a heavy wetsuit as well as when I dive dry. I can understand some folks liking the 36# wing better but the 27 works for me just fine.

Good luck pickin' your gear and...

"Have fun stormin' the castle!"

SA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom