help me build my first BP/wings setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too think a good scuba tank buckle is a worthwhile investment. I tried out the Scubapro Knighthawk and they have got an awesome buckle there too. I think it may have some advantages over the Halcyon in that the cam action does not leverage the buckle against the tanks (no tank scratches) and the fit was tight when I used the brand new buckle dry (I hear the Halcyon webbing is so stiff it is difficult to adjust unless it is wet and once wet it loosens a bit). The Halcyon webing is wider however and may provide more stability.

The best thing about it is that the buckle comes apart when released so you can change tanks without lifting your BC over the tank, a welcome relief if you have weight in your weight pockets. Does the Halcyon do that? I can't tell online.

Thanks for the advice about fredT, I have contacted him and am awaiting a response.

Interestig that you say you use a 27# bladder without problems. I thought this was too light. Hmmm....

DiverAnderson once bubbled...

The best thing about it is that the buckle comes apart when released so you can change tanks without lifting your BC over the tank, a welcome relief if you have weight in your weight pockets. Does the Halcyon do that? I can't tell online.

The new style halcyon metal buckles do not come apart while the older style does. I have the newer style and doesnt cause me any problems changing tanks.

I too think a good scuba tank buckle is a worthwhile investment. I tried out the Scubapro Knighthawk and they have got an awesome buckle there too. I think it may have some advantages over the Halcyon in that the cam action does not leverage the buckle against the tanks (no tank scratches) and the fit was tight when I used the brand new buckle dry (I hear the Halcyon webbing is so stiff it is difficult to adjust unless it is wet and once wet it loosens a bit). The Halcyon webing is wider however and may provide more stability.

Thanks for the advice about fredT, I have contacted him and am awaiting a response.

Interestig that you say you use a 27# bladder without problems. I thought this was too light. Hmmm....

Actually, the Halcyon straps do not slip when wet...at least, in my experience.

They ARE a little tough to tighten when new but after a few dives they tighten down pretty darn easily. I have some of the older 'come apart buckles' but they were a PITA so I replaced them all with the new ones which don't come apart. I find it much easier to change tanks with these.

Yah...a big yee hah for the 27# wing...works just fine. I can go through how I work it with my weighting with different setups, if you like.

SA

I have a back plate with a Diverite 40lb Trek wing and my own unique harness which I find perfect.

Used to have the DIR rigging but found this chaffed my underarms when doing lots of dives on the GBR which was very uncomfortable. I made my harness as shown in the pic with a couple of D rings sown into the centre of the webbing and a chest strap. The only clips are on the chest strap and crotch strap and the rig is indestructable. I have 2 shoulder D rings and 2 hip D rings and a Halcyon lift bag stowed in a pouch on the back plate.

One other item, the wing is bungeed and this does not increase drag as so many DIR fanatics point out. At the speeds that anybody swims any additional drag caused by bungee cords etc is nil. Unless we start swimming at 20 knots or faster this will stay nil.

marco once bubbled...
Used to have the DIR rigging but found this chaffed my underarms

One other item, the wing is bungeed and this does not increase drag as so many DIR fanatics point out. At the speeds that anybody swims any additional drag caused by bungee cords etc is nil. Unless we start swimming at 20 knots or faster this will stay nil.

I have never heard of anyone chafing. If this is an issue I would recommend following these instructions for setting up the harness:

http://www.baue.org/faq/backplate_sizing_inline_images.html

I have owned a bungy wing and a Halcyon. The bungy wing does drag more, and the Halcyon is superior in a few other ways as well.

However, I really don't care what you dive, nor what your religion is. I do take exception to being called a fanatic. I don't think it's necessary to belittle others in order to be taken seriously.

I spoke with a couple LDS employees I know and they said that a Halcyon 27lbs wing would be fine for the diving I'm doing. I checked with the BAUE which suggested a 30lbs wing but I don't dive deep and compression isn't as much of an issue.

link about choosing a wing size:
http://www.baue.org/faq/wing_size.html
My LDS has Halcyon Pioneer 27lbs wings for $264 which is not too bad right?

I'm going to keep the harness as simple as possible and upgrade if I feel I need to.

The backplate and STA is still a problem though. I dive in cold water primarily but would like to be able to occasionally transition to warm water without too much trouble (or expense). I'm looking into a combination of heavy SS backplates, weighted STAs and channel weights to accomplish this. What I would like is a backplate/STA that weighed ~18lbs for cold water leaving me with a ~8lbs weightbelt and then ~8-10lbs for warm water with possibly no weight belt. Does that sound about right? In warm water I use a 2mm shortie and I'm 6' 166lbs.

options:
10lbs backplate, 1-2lbs STA and a 8lbs channel weight. Dirch the channel weight for tropical.

9lbs backplate, 9lbs weighted STA and switch to lightweight STA or possible STAless backplate for tropical.

I spoke with a couple LDS employees I know and they said that a Halcyon 27lbs wing would be fine for the diving I'm doing. I checked with the BAUE which suggested a 30lbs wing but I don't dive deep and compression isn't as much of an issue.

link about choosing a wing size:
http://www.baue.org/faq/wing_size.html
My LDS has Halcyon Pioneer 27lbs wings for $264 which is not too bad right?

I'm going to keep the harness as simple as possible and upgrade if I feel I need to.

The backplate and STA is still a problem though. I dive in cold water primarily but would like to be able to occasionally transition to warm water without too much trouble (or expense). I'm looking into a combination of heavy SS backplates, weighted STAs and channel weights to accomplish this. What I would like is a backplate/STA that weighed ~18lbs for cold water leaving me with a ~8lbs weightbelt and then ~8-10lbs for warm water with possibly no weight belt. Does that sound about right? In warm water I use a 2mm shortie and I'm 6' 166lbs.

options:
10lbs backplate, 1-2lbs STA and a 8lbs channel weight. Dirch the channel weight for tropical.

9lbs backplate, 9lbs weighted STA and switch to lightweight STA or possible STAless backplate for tropical.

Why even bother with an STA if you're getting the Pioneer? I'd recommend you retain some ditchable weight. Yes, that means a weight belt, but a <10 lb weight belt is almost unnoticeable.

You can also pick up an Al backplate from Leisurepro for $32. If you plan on doing tropical diving, there's no reason not to buy it. You can then do whatever you want for cold water (personally, I have a SS bp with an 8 lb channel weight that I poured).

Here is my suggestion. It will take a standard BP, a "standard" STA, a pair of Halcyon camband trim pockets and a regular old weight belt.

I don't think that you're gonna need 26# total weight after you switch from your Ranger to the BP. I'm thinkin it's gonna be more like 22#. For warm water in your 2mm I bet you won't need more than 8# total.

If you want a BP/STA combo for both you won't want to use a heavy plate. I suppose you COULD use a 9# BP and No STA and have it work but I'm not sure that's the route I'd take.

I'm thinkin a standard SS BP that weighs in about 6# with the harness. Then you could add a "standard" 3# STA. Then, with your shortie, you could dive without a belt...easily be able to swim up your rig with a full tank and no air in your wing...and probably be about right to be able to easily hold a safety stop when almost out of air. If you wanted to have some ditchable weight, then leave off the STA and put a few pounds on the belt.

When you go to cold water...you could add weight to your rig in your trim pockets...about 6#...and wear a belt with about 8#...for a total weight of 23#. I'm pretty sure that you would still be balanced AND trimmed out nice, as well. And...you won't even notice the 8# on your hip. Then if you think you might need a little more weight, you could put a few more on either your belt or in the trim pockets.

I would get the Halcyon 27# Pioneer. In fact, I think that I would just go to the 5thD website right now and order the 27# Pioneer MC system with the SS BP for $505 - it includes the harness and all the hardware:
MC System

Then add the Halcyon STA for about a hundred bucks:
STA with cambands and SS buckle

And a set of $46 trim pockets:
Trim Pockets

For a grand total of 700 dollars.

Probably a few other ways to do it...and maybe be able to save a few bucks...but with the above setup I think you'd be stylin'.

SA

Back
Top Bottom