Help me choose a coldwater wetsuit, need advice ASAP :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know why you are diving wet in those temps..........I dive a XCEL which is a very good suit in SoCal, but that second dive still gets chilly.

Because i'm half crazy and i'll only be doing one dive a day when i do dive. other people do it wet at those temps and i guess i'll find out real quick if i can.

GOAT:
Because i'm half crazy and i'll only be doing one dive a day when i do dive. other people do it wet at those temps and i guess i'll find out real quick if i can.

I'm crazy too, that's why I know and limit myself to one dive per day during winter months. In that case I would recommend the XCELL. Integrated hood and chest zipper. The also have more flexible material in the ankles for ease of donning the suit......enjoy.

GOAT:
i bought some 5mm hyperstretch gloves and 7mm hyperstretch boots.

Thanks for the Harvey number. I might have to tell my stepdad to give them a call. it's very hard for him to fit in anything not hyper/superstretch. he's a big man with a 52" chest, 19" calves, huge thighs etc etc but just a 36" waist., and 5"11, 240lbs. You think a short XL or XXL would fit him? I'm really trying to keep him away from Hyperstretch as he is Extremely rough on things, i think he would ruin it in 2 days.

Most definitely, I would go with the xxl or xxxl because of his chest size. The question would be will he need a short or regular suit? Harvey’s site isn’t up right now so I don’t know the exact size he will need. I’ll look for their size chart and post it if I come across it.

Copy and paste the link below to your address bar for Harvey's size chart:

http://www.diverdiscount.com/harveyssizes.html#MEN'S%20STANDARD%20SIZING%20MATRIX

hey, thanks a lot for that link. i think he just may be able to get some sort of a harvey's that would fit him really good.

Glad to know there's a company out there that realizes all the various sizes of people :)

I would recommend that you take a look at the O'neill 7000x. It is a 7mm Full and is usually priced around $240. I was able to get mine at Sports Chalet in San Diego for $200 during some sale, you may be able to get a deal from them if you talk to them. It is a really great suit, I would wear it while the other guys were diving dry suits and be quite comfortable. If I didn't wear a hood, I would get an ice-cream headache, but the rest of my body would be perfectly comfortable. I'm a big guy, mine is a XXL, and it fits quite nicely. I had more trouble getting into the Hendorson suits that are supposed to be easy to get on, than I did with the 7000x.

Good Luck and stay warm,
James

Used my new drysuit for the first time today so I sold my buddy my wet suit combo. This has worked good down to 48 degree water-- Deep Sea one piece 7mm with a D.S. 4mm hooded vest underneath, D.S. 6.5mm boots and gloves.

I just got in my Akona 7mm jumpsuit. It's a very nice suit for just $145. It has 7 different areas that incorporate superstretch material. Half the arm(the bottom side) is superstretch stuff it it really gives great mobility. The other areas are the calf, sides of legs, and crotch. The zipper really seals of great too.

I'll be making a dive in it this coming week. I had to give it a little splash to see how it was :wink: I got some hyperstretch 7mm gloves and boots. a little pricey but the boots just fit soooo good. i just couldn't cough up the money for a henderson suit though.

The Large size Akona fits me great and the length of the legs and arms is Plenty long, almost two long. But i'm glad it's long, i would hate to bend my arms or legs and have the suit ride up, i hate that.

well post back soon with dive results

Went diving today. 48 degree water. My first cold water dive. The wetsuit worked great. I stayed 40 minutes in the water with NO problem from the suit. Nice and warm. I only felt the sting of the cold water on my face. I'm happy, really happy. Now I know I can dive all year long :D

and to top things off... my stepdad will be buying an air compressor soon. oh happy times are here....

btw, Henderson Hyperstretch boots and gloves are GREAT.

I'll second the cudos for O'Neill, although I own the 7000J, which integrates the hood. This is the best fitting wetsuit I own, & I too have skinny legs and hips, but after looking at the website's VERY detailed size table, I discovered all measurements were exactly in the zone. I bought mine on ebay quite relunctantly, as I have only had a 50/50 satisfaction rate buying things there, but at a $120, I really lucked out (worn 5 or 6 times). I used it all last summer diving MN lakes - including a 40 minute dive down to 39 degrees Lake Superior. I chill very easily, but have yet stayed amazingly toasty w/ the O'Neill. Fit is an important factor, but what also contributes to this suit's virtue is the integrated 5mil vest that is velcro'ed on over 1 shoulder before sliding into the upper 7mil half (with the sleeves). I quickly discovered however, the all important baby shampoo solution-in-a-spray bottle trick in order to get back into this tight suit when doning it wet for a 2nd dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom