HELP!! Need Advice!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sassalin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving as in not even certified yet. My husband and I are going to Nassau in March to complete our cert dives. It has been about a month since my last pool session so I decided to go to the pool with the current class to pratice so I will not forget anything. I planned on doing this until our trip so everything would be fresh in my mind but now I don't even know if I want to dive after the following experience.

I went with a buddy that I trusted. I did not know the instructors. They never even bothered to introduce themselves...I had to do that. Most of the time they called me "hey girl". They barked orders like I was in boot camp again. We entered the deep end of the pool and started to pratice on our own (we were told to do this). One of the instructors (I later found out he was just a "helper") asked me to flood my mask. I have never like this but was able to finally overcome my fear of it. As we all know the gear that you use in class is not the best and never fits. This was the case for me. The BCD was too big and the regulator was also. I had to hold the regulator in my mouth or any small current would knock it out. I flooded my mask but made the mistake of taking a breath from my nose instead of my regulator. I tried to cough it out but just could not get the water out of my throat/nose. I decided it might be better if go to the surface. I admit now I was acending too fast but at the time I didn't feel that way. Out of nowhere hands grabbed me and held me where I was. I started to panic even more at this point thinking this crazy person was holding me under the water to complete what I started. He had no idea what was wrong with me. He had total control over my movements. I eventually fought my way to the surface. This persons first words were "you have to work through your problems". Not are you ok. He then told me that he was saving me from over lung expansion and the bends by "helping" me acend at a slower pace. Now, I understand that you can get over lung expansion in as shallow as 5ft but if the man had not grabbed me I would have been breathing while coughing which is the cause of over lung expansion -not breathing. Then I had to fight to get from him on the surface. I asked him to release me three times and finally when I started to raise my voice he let me go. Bottom line is what he did scared me beyond belief. If I was to dive do I have to worry about people doing that to me? Is this normal in the diving world and should this be reported to the dive shop? I don't have alot of experience yet but that is why I am going to the pool to make my mistakes instead of the ocean.

Any advise will be helpful!! Thanks!

If I were you, I would have walked out at the first "hey girl"

In other words, my advice to you would be to find another instructor.

IMO, you're putting 'the cart before the horse' ie get certified completely thru one place, get a few dives locally under your belt, then plan a nice relaxful dive vacation.....That worked for myself, wife & oldest child(age 14 then) in the summer of '85....We got certified the very end of that summer, made about 25 dives locally on our own that fall & hit Belize that December ready to go----all dives were to 90+ feet for 30 minutes(no computers then & was taught on the navy dive tables ie more bottom time)....That's what I would do.......but, you've already made some costly plans....you'll make it, just have to be sure of your skills....

NO, it isn't normal, they were a bit overly aggressive for people who weren't certified yet. But the guy was right about resolving your problems underwater, you have got to learn to do that. He really didn't didn't handle it correctly, didn't do you any good with your fears, etc. so that is bad. I would go to the Dive Shop and discuss this with them in a reasonable manner. The GOOD news is that it will be soooooo much better in the ocean and you will do fine. Do not worry.

If you have problems with rental gear not fitting (I had the same problem, I am 5'3", small and curvy). As soon as I got certified I bought my own gear..... no problems with that ever again!

Where did you do the "25 dives locally"????

IMO, you're putting 'the cart before the horse' ie get certified completely thru one place, get a few dives locally under your belt, then plan a nice relaxful dive vacation.....That worked for myself, wife & oldest child(age 14 then) in the summer of '85....We got certified that summer, made about 25 dives locally on our own that fall & hit Belize that December ready to go----all dives were to 90+ feet for 30 minutes(no computers then & was taught on the navy dive tables ie more bottom time)....That's what I would do.......but, you've already made some costly plans....you'll make it, just have to be sure of your skills....

Welcome to the board, sassalin. Looks like you have an instructor from hell. Or from the Navy Seals. Change instructor like Nick W suggests. I don't think any certifying agencies approves of the treatment your "hell" instructor practises.

I would agree "Absolutely not."

But I'd like to hear what the "instructor" thought.

To share something with you about an experience I had while doing my OW checkout dives. It was the second day of diving, 1st dive of the day I believe. Looking back on the whole situation I probably should not have been diving that day (many personal things had happened and my mind was not where it should have been, on diving). We where told we where doing to do to skills, one remove mask, replace and clear as well as fin pivot with oral inflate. We descend, I'm first in line. Instructor asks if I'm ok, I signal ok, instructor signals remove mask.... so what do I do? Remove my mask and spit out my regulator..... Instructor grabs regulator and puts it back in my mouth, I replace mask, attempt to clear, while attempting I suck water in my nose and start to cough. My first instinct was to head for the surface (25 feet), but I didn't, I held my reg in my mouth and coughed and coughed and coughed... once it finally subsided I finished clearing and than coughed some more. Of course when he went down the line than he came back to me to do it again. No issues the second time.
I realized something during that whole thing, as long as I have my regulator in my mouth I CAN breath and I will be fine. Keep in mind next time you may be in 30, 40 or even 60 feet for water, going to the surface may not be an option. I think the instructor was not trying to scare you but merely trying to get you to work through it. I hope things go better next time and you get your certification and enjoy many years of diving.

My suggestion: Go back to your original instructors and ask if you could participate in pool dives with classes they are conducting. Explain your rationale and motivation, along with your experience with these other instructors. Hopefully, they'll allow you to practice, work out any rough spots with skills, and re-establish your confidence.
In my experience, the "teaching" practices you experienced with this set of strangers is NOT the norm among diving professionals. Most are extremely thorough, patient, and expert in relating skills to their students (and other new divers). Somehow, it seems that these guys went almost out of their way to make you uncomfortable. I hate to suggest it, but it smacks of resentment because you were not one of "their" (paying) clients. If this was the case, their actions would only be that much more reprehensible.

Where did you do the "25 dives locally"????

Toledo Bend........made about 250 of them there till about '89 when I stopped diving it---went to offshore for local dives.......But as we speak, one of my '08 resolutions is to get back in Toledo regularly, just got a new wetsuit that will bring me to a 6/5...actually made about 10 dives there this past fall just to get wet in between 'biggger-nicer' dives....

EDIT:.......we need to plan some sometimes, I don't necessarily want to make them solo---but if I have to I'll have to...lol....---my wife said no more T.B. diving after our 1st Belize trip in '85 & all our kids are not local anymore......plus all my old T.B. dive buddies have moved away, hardly anyone dives it anymore......

Back
Top Bottom