Help on drysuit weight systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's another option. LP has them too, but their picture wasn't very good.

Trident Diving Weight Belt Suspenders WB-3101 with reviews at scuba.com

Not a good idea if you intend the weight to be ditchable though. You have 3 buckles to release, 2 of which may be obstructed by the BCD.

I purchased one of these for my son who was having problems with a weight belt slipping down his butt. It did solve that problem, but once we tried a DUI harness this contraption was parted out and we purchased 2 more DUI harnesses. Hands down the best way I know of to handle the 30+lbs needed for big guys & cold water diving.

Not a good idea if you intend the weight to be ditchable though. You have 3 buckles to release, 2 of which may be obstructed by the BCD.

Have to agree this is true but I have enough ditchable in my trim pockets plus the redundant buoyancy of the drysuit that I feel safe enough. But the "ditchable" factor does need to be taken into consideration.

hello,

I just started diving, and in my OW class I was set up with 36# in a drysuit (cold water). I found a few times I had trouble sinking and a few uncontrolled (but slow) ascents from 20' or so. The next dive I put on 40# and no problem. I have been for two other dives since and I used 40#'s. I was using rental gear. I used a 16# weight belt and 24# in the BCD pockets. I was very good with my trim and buoyancy, even to the point where the master divers complimented me! YAY! I recently bought my own weights at a good price. I have a 30lb weight belt and the rest I want to put in the BCD. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions to this?

hello,

I just started diving, and in my OW class I was set up with 36# in a drysuit (cold water). I found a few times I had trouble sinking and a few uncontrolled (but slow) ascents from 20' or so. The next dive I put on 40# and no problem. I have been for two other dives since and I used 40#'s. I was using rental gear. I used a 16# weight belt and 24# in the BCD pockets. I was very good with my trim and buoyancy, even to the point where the master divers complimented me! YAY! I recently bought my own weights at a good price. I have a 30lb weight belt and the rest I want to put in the BCD. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions to this?

I will say that in general the more weight you put on your belt the more "fin heavy" you will be. In the water you could find it difficult to maintain horizontal trim and subsequently you will kick up the bottom. The more weight in your BC the more "head heavy" you will be. In a drysuit this will cause you feet to rise and stay there (very annoying).

I would experiment in a local pool before you do an OW dive with new weight distribution. Because you are adding so much weight to the belt you could find your self ruining the visibility and overall having a lack luster dive.

A big factor in weight is the type of drysuit and it's undergarment. In a shell style suit it is the undergarment that is most buoyant. Obviously a neoprene or crushed neoprene suit will have buoyancy along with the undergarment. So, point being, to reduce weight required due to buoyancy consider the characteristics of the undergarment and see if a quality, less buoyant but warm under garment will work. Combine this with smart distribution of weight (backplate, steel tanks, v weights etc) and you may find you do not require a weight belt (with a properly balanced rig ditchable weight pouches can be small and added to your set up).
I'm currently shopping for undergarment. Any recommendation? Water temps of 45-60degrees. I have mid weight smart wool (very light and thin merino) long underware as a base.

I'm currently shopping for undergarment. Any recommendation? Water temps of 45-60degrees. I have mid weight smart wool (very light and thin merino) long underware as a base.

I dive in 45 degree waters. I wear cabelas polar base layers, two thin fleece tops and one thick fleece pants. Two layers of socks and I stay pretty comfortable. I can't put myself to spend hundreds on a undergarment.

I recently bought my own weights at a good price. I have a 30lb weight belt and the rest I want to put in the BCD. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions to this?

Since with a DS you "rarely" will consider ditching weight at depth, maybe look at weight pockets on your cam bands on your BC, That will keep the weight at your most buoyant point (lungs), and will thus not make you unbalanced (at least it works for me). I run about 10 pounds there (5# each side).

Since with a DS you "rarely" will consider ditching weight at depth, maybe look at weight pockets on your cam bands on your BC, That will keep the weight at your most buoyant point (lungs), and will thus not make you unbalanced (at least it works for me). I run about 10 pounds there (5# each side).

Also, be careful that you don't have so much weight on you belt that if you want to take off your BC at the surface you sink like a rock.

I wouldn't consider anything less than a 400g or equivalent. I wear a light layer of fleece under my 400g and when the water gets below 48 degrees I am only warmish but get cold if I don't swim a decent amount.

Both DUI and Whites have nice stuff, but there are many other companies, like Santi, etc.

Even with all that undergarments I get away with 26 lbs of lead. Although I use heavy Jet fins, and a BP/W with no fluff aka floaty foam.

Also, be careful that you don't have so much weight on you belt that if you want to take off your BC at the surface you sink like a rock.
Good point! Although with a drysuit you can close the valve and pump up the suit a little before doffing, although not recommended. Since I dive off a small boat I always have to take my BC off before getting back in the boat. The first thing to come off is my 21 lb weight belt for safety.

Anything over 30 lbs of weight could be a potential problem if a gear failure leaves you without a wing or with a drysuit flooded. I couldn't swim that much weight up.

I have a Santi 200 gm Thinsulate suit that works for me in that range, although I'm getting cool below 50. If I was going to buy a warmer one, it would be the Santi 400 gm suit.

Back
Top Bottom