Help planning a trip to Togean, Bunaken, Banda in June/July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bangka seems very interesting indeed. I read in an old 2014 Lonely Planet that the Chinese started iron exploration on Bangka, which could damage the island’s ecology. Does anyone know what the current situation is?

i know the situation..to date i have been to bangka 2014-15-16-17-18-19-22..the mine has never opened..they built the structures and did damage in front of their location but they never extracted and after a tough battle they lost the permissions they had with ******* bribery!
If you want to go to bangka go easy... your wife will have some great snorkelling and you some great diving... depending on the resort you will also have a wonderful beach to enjoy!
B67B0471-D318-44BC-9817-36D9E0888194.jpeg

Not everyone cup of tea.

I have not used LP over 20yrs.

Toraja has very unique culture. Fortunately/unfortunately, it is not on tourist trail in the country so getting/leaving there is time consuming. Makassar is the obvious choice and there is connection to Manado for Bangka.

The wealth of info here on SB and its participants blows LP out the water...especially considering you are reading old copies. Ha ha

Read trip reports from places you are keen to go. They give amazing info.

My personal preference is to pick 2 or 3 spots and spend a week or so in the place and really get to know it, feel it, be part of it. Rather than flitting from place to place. But each to their own.

Hey you said your wife to be is not a diver...is there a possibility for her to consider doing her open water in Bali (say Tulamben)??

To echo what's been said already....
Bali has so much to offer, enjoy it.
Bangka is a great mix of diving, while in the Manado area you could spend some time hiking Tangkoko Nature reserve or going into the high-lands. And I know others warned you against Lembeh, but...man the diving is incredible (Flikr album - Black Sands) and if you stayed at a stunning place like Black Sands Dive retreat your wife may forgive you, haha, and spending time on a pitch black sand beach is quite memorable. You can use it as a base to do Tangkoko.
Komodo, well is Komodo. Another option is the Komodo Resort, it looks stunning. Or go on a live-aboard.

So so many choices... enjoy the research and the planning!!

Having been to Siladen back in 2015 it's a nice place to stay, the accommodation, food and staff are excellent.
However there is no "beach" to do shore diving or snorkelling from. Also while we were there, there was a shortage of fresh water for bathing etc.

If you're into critters then Lembeh is also a fantastic place, with some fine accommodation at some great resorts too.

You might be disappointed to put Togean and Bunaken after Komodo. The Togean diving is not bad but not the same level as Komodo.
Moving from one place to another place in Indonesia is not very difficult but will be slow and take 1 or even 2 days of your time.,
Years back, we had an epic family trip from Manado/Bunaken, Gorontalo (IMHO diving better than Togean and Bunaken), Togean, Tana Toraja and ended in Makasar - all was in rush 16 days.
You can also reverse, start from makasar to Toraja - you can use public bus, hire a car or flight. Then from Tana Toraja, hire a car to Ampana. From Ampana you can use ferry or public boat or private resort boat (the owner of Kadiri paradise live in Ampana - they regularly travel) to Togean, then to Gorontalo. From Gorontalo, hire a car or flight to Manado for Bunaken, Lembeh and Bangka.
You need at least 1 month.

Hey you said your wife to be is not a diver...is there a possibility for her to consider doing her open water in Bali (say Tulamben)??

To echo what's been said already....
Bali has so much to offer, enjoy it.
Bangka is a great mix of diving, while in the Manado area you could spend some time hiking Tangkoko Nature reserve or going into the high-lands. And I know others warned you against Lembeh, but...man the diving is incredible (Flikr album - Black Sands) and if you stayed at a stunning place like Black Sands Dive retreat your wife may forgive you, haha, and spending time on a pitch black sand beach is quite memorable. You can use it as a base to do Tangkoko.
Komodo, well is Komodo. Another option is the Komodo Resort, it looks stunning. Or go on a live-aboard.

I'm going to see whether I can convince her to do the open water in Bali :D.

Your pictures of Lembeh look amazing! See you even spotted a whale shark, when did you go?

Regarding the other places: I know my wife does want to check the typical bounty / white beach vibe and just walk into the sea easily. I'm going to check out the resorts and place mentioned again.

Regarding the other places: I know my wife does want to check the typical bounty / white beach vibe and just walk into the sea easily. I'm going to check out the resorts and place mentioned again.
Murex at Bangka

Murex Bangka is great but then show her Alor Divers page.. Home - Alor Divers ...

Hey! I just had a look on Google, just double checking: you mean the one on Pulau Sebayur?

Back
Top Bottom