Help planning a trip to Togean, Bunaken, Banda in June/July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to see whether I can convince her to do the open water in Bali :D.

Your pictures of Lembeh look amazing! See you even spotted a whale shark, when did you go?

Regarding the other places: I know my wife does want to check the typical bounty / white beach vibe and just walk into the sea easily. I'm going to check out the resorts and place mentioned again.
The whale shark was a complete blessing from above! The DM was as blown away as we were...he had never seen one in the straight before, had only heard rumours.

As for the picture perfect beaches...Murex does have a beautiful beach as does Blue Bay Divers. In fact Blue Bay has just opened up a new resort in N Gorontalo called Saronde Island Resort, which looks pretty and ticks the white sand beach box for sure.

My wife hated snorkeling but fell in love with diving. So if your missus already enjoys snorkeling then it shouldn't be too much of step to get her underwater... Good luck!

Regarding the other places: I know my wife does want to check the typical bounty / white beach vibe and just walk into the sea easily. I'm going to check out the resorts and place mentioned again.

The most enjoyable beach in bangka is at coraleye resort with an outstanding and easy house reef… 😍😍 They do also OW course.. 😉

. In fact Blue Bay has just opened up a new resort in N Gorontalo called Saronde Island Resort, which looks pretty and ticks the white sand beach box for sure

A friend of mine build the villas there for blu bay the last winter… he say that the location is beautiful and the beaches are wow!! 👍

Hello everyone, sorry to intrude but I'm trying to plan a similar trip as @speedof1 (some beginner diving/beautiful beaches/bit of jungle and culture), but in August.
I'm spending days reading everything, watching videos, weather charts.. it's becoming a full time job.

Some considerations which can become questions for the experts here.
- Bangka looks very promising, apart from the prices. Eventually we might go for Togean+Bangka.
Anyone tried the Sea Souls resort there?
- Alor islands don't seem to be the best choice for summer.. wind and choppy seas..am I wrong?Also we are beginners, maybe it's not the best spot for us.
- Bali also..great for diving, but it seems the beaches are more suitable for surfers than snorkelers.
- Any possibility to combine diving and idyllic calm beaches in the Komodo-Nusa Tenggara area?
- I checked also Weh island.. Nice but I read about strong currents and not so great sealife
- Belitung and Karimunjava islands: beaches look great, not much info about diving. Anyone tried?
- And finally, how about Maratua in the Derawan archipelago?? It seems the perfect place to have everything in one place.

Thank you very much.

Bali also..great for diving, but it seems the beaches are more suitable for surfers than snorkelers.
It's all shore diving up at Tulamben, well worth it.

It's all shore diving up at Tulamben, well worth it.
I meant, besides diving/surfing the beaches themselves don't look as fantastic as other locations in Indo

I meant, besides diving/surfing the beaches themselves don't look as fantastic as other locations in Indo
For sure, white sand beaches are not part of the deal in Tulamben...or any of the dive spots in Bali.

When it comes to diving trips with non-divers, Indonesia is the land of compromise. The best diving in Indonesia simply does not include miles of calm and deserted white sand beaches. I have lived here for 14 years; my wife is not a diver. Rest assured, I have looked and looked, and having "...everything in one place..." ain't happening. It looks like your wife dives, but you also want a bit more to do than dive, dive, dive all day. I get that.

By far, the best compromise is the Gili Islands off Lombok. Gili Trawangan is the party island, so don't do it. Gili Air is a more family-friendly island and one of our favorite spots in the world. The beaches are awesome, and the water is calm. There are no cars or motorbikes- just bicycles and footpaths. There is superb snorkeling everywhere. There are all sorts of restaurants and pubs with all sorts of food. The sunsets are world-class. As a new diver, you will enjoy the heck out of seeing more turtles than you can count, sharks, scores of fish, and solid macro. It is also a great chance to push your skills into more challenging conditions found in places like Komodo and Alor.

Maybe try half your trip on Gili Air, and the other half in a more diving-centered location that seems to check the other boxes as much as possible. The Gili Islands are a special place. Give them a look.

Torajaland, or walking from Mamasaland to Torajaland is a trip of a lifetime (beats Bali any day) to mark the occasion. The people are wonderful. The culture, the architecture, the scenery. No hoards of tourists. Been there, done it. A number of well-established tour ops in Makassar will lay that on with your own van, guide, pony to carry luggage. Journey from Makassar takes a few hours but it is a wonderful chance to see the countryside. Flights from Makassar to Manado are short and frequent which takes you to diving at Manado, Lembeh or Bunaken. Lumbalumba Resort has orchid gardens, a pool - which is deep enough to do your training in. They go over to Bunaken (hope for pilot whales and dolphins as you travel across) and there is excellent diving on Manado-side of the bay also - classic place for giant sepia laying eggs (cuttlefish). Toilet on boat, excellent snorkelling too, with snorkel guide if needed, ratio for diving is usually 2 guests per guide which is ideal for newby diver. Lumbalumba partner with Black Sands at Lembeh as previously mentioned. Tours up into the highlands, volcanic lakes and the famous Tangkoko reserve.
So there you go, the diving, the dive training, the paradise gardens, the pool, the food. No I don't work for them. I've just had many hours of superb diving in the area.
And Manado airport is a good hub for other destinations.
If you're interested in Torajaland then let me know - we are still in contact with the two guides we used and they may be able to recommend the best tour op in Makassar who can quote a package.
1680025541248.png

For sure, white sand beaches are not part of the deal in Tulamben...or any of the dive spots in Bali.

When it comes to diving trips with non-divers, Indonesia is the land of compromise. The best diving in Indonesia simply does not include miles of calm and deserted white sand beaches. I have lived here for 14 years; my wife is not a diver. Rest assured, I have looked and looked, and having "...everything in one place..." ain't happening. It looks like your wife dives, but you also want a bit more to do than dive, dive, dive all day. I get that.

By far, the best compromise is the Gili Islands off Lombok. Gili Trawangan is the party island, so don't do it. Gili Air is a more family-friendly island and one of our favorite spots in the world. The beaches are awesome, and the water is calm. There are no cars or motorbikes- just bicycles and footpaths. There is superb snorkeling everywhere. There are all sorts of restaurants and pubs with all sorts of food. The sunsets are world-class. As a new diver, you will enjoy the heck out of seeing more turtles than you can count, sharks, scores of fish, and solid macro. It is also a great chance to push your skills into more challenging conditions found in places like Komodo and Alor.

Maybe try half your trip on Gili Air, and the other half in a more diving-centered location that seems to check the other boxes as much as possible. The Gili Islands are a special place. Give them a look.
Thanks a lot Matts!
I was considering splitting destinations like that.
Let me please exploit your kindness and experience and ask you if you have been to Belitung or Karimunjawa and what is your opinion. They look even better than the Gili's..

Thanks a lot Matts!
I was considering splitting destinations like that.
Let me please exploit your kindness and experience and ask you if you have been to Belitung or Karimunjawa and what is your opinion. They look even better than the Gili's..
I haven't, and they are not on my radar, as there isn't any diving... I mean, of course, one can dive there, but...yeah...the beaches do look beautiful for sure. Both are super easy trips from a number of major cities in Indonesia, especially Jakarta, yet the reason you are not finding out much about the diving is just that...there ain't much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom