Help Stop the Spread of Burmese Pythons in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Us Gators do it in the Swamp all the time! :D

Except for when you play Auburn. We beat you in the Swamp and on The Plains.

END :hijack:

Actually you can just kill an invading species at will. Look at any Southern state that has a wild hog population. There is no season or limit and you kill them on sight. If it is not a native species then it is doing some harm the entire ecosystem that it is in. Im all for open season on dangerous or destructive non-native species of any animal.

This article is specifically talking about WMA Wildlife Management Areas. IN these areas census are taken by DEP scientist who consider what resources there are and how large of a herd it can support. The "Take" for that year is then set for each area for each species. Very often at Praries Lakes WMA there is a no bag limit no size limit on feral hogs because the population is strangling local native wildlife.

The Python is such a critter. On private lands you can kill the Non Native species you want no season, bag limit, or size restriction.

Personally I think this should be practiced with other envading speices from the North

This article is specifically talking about WMA Wildlife Management Areas. IN these areas census are taken by DEP scientist who consider what resources there are and how large of a herd it can support. The "Take" for that year is then set for each area for each species. Very often at Praries Lakes WMA there is a no bag limit no size limit on feral hogs because the population is strangling local native wildlife.

The Python is such a critter. On private lands you can kill the Non Native species you want no season, bag limit, or size restriction.

Personally I think this should be practiced with other envading speices from the North

So you support no limit of non native species on private land but not in the WMAs?

What other species would you be referring to from the north?

So you support no limit of non native species on private land but not in the WMAs?
At issue in most of these WMAs is the legality of carrying firearms. "But officer, I am really hunting pythons" would make it harder for FWC to crack down on poachers.
What other species would you be referring to from the north?
Mostly non-native felines... but not to worry! We hear that they are mostly toothless nowadays! :D

At issue in most of these WMAs is the legality of carrying firearms. "But officer, I am really hunting pythons" would make it harder for FWC to crack down on poachers.

That is understandable.

Mostly non-native felines... but not to worry! We hear that they are mostly toothless nowadays! :D

Well right now nobody knows what condition they are in.

So why is this program not being instituted in the Everglades? Just to big of an area to try and manage?

It IS being instituted in the Everglades. All hunters everywhere are being asked to kill them wherever it is legal to hunt!

It IS being instituted in the Everglades. All hunters everywhere are being asked to kill them wherever it is legal to hunt!

Oh ok. I thought I read in the first paragraph of the article that it was not being done in the Everglades yet.

I think the hunters will help out tremendously. I know we take our hunting pretty serious up here and do what we can to preserve it.

You know, I paddle my kayak in the glades quite a bit, a Sit on top, the same one I dive out of, and I have been thinking just exactly what I would do if a 10 foot python decided to slither on my boat. Now I realize this is a pretty remote possiblilty, but it could happen.

I remember handling 10 foot boas when I was in Jungle Warfare School in Panama. Those critters are heavy! And they have a bazillion very sharp teeth. So I quess my questions are: Do I carry a machete, shotgun, hand grenades, or what? Or just trust to luck. I hate that option.

Actually I suppose I should worry more about lightning. And I do. I don't know what to do about that either.

Life is just full of these unanswerable questions.

A sharp knife is really all you need. Nothing big.

csstoreonline_2070_2895484

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom