Help Stop the Spread of Burmese Pythons in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csstoreonline_2070_10841510

I'm curious, are there any native large snakes that could be collateral damage?

Having owned large boas, they really are nice animals. The only friendly Burmese I ever saw were highly socialized or were albinos (for some reason they are much mellower), the rest would just as soon bite you as look at ya.

A gurkha with a kukri was a pretty formidable foe http://www.himalayan-imports.com/gurkha.html

Boa Constrictor/Python safari's could bring money into some areas. An airboat, a shotgun. a license and you're in business. The only worry is the customer shooting a hole in the bottom of the airboat.

they need to go ..i also raised a few boa's and python's ...but the burmese need to go ....hunt them out and sell the meat flash frozen back to asia skins as well ...

I used to help clean cages at a store that sold ALOT of snakes. Got quite a few back as well when mom found out they bought it! But they had several albino burmese and they were very docile compared to the non albinos. In fact out of the boas, reticulated pythons( tend to be thinner but fast and sneaky like the 6 footer I had around my neck not realizing every time I took a breath it tightened up just a little more), and anacondas they had, the plain burmese seemed to be the most aggressive. They did have one big python that was 13 feet long an was over 150 lbs. He took three people to handle him when the cleaning the cage. Ate two full grown live chickens at feeding time. The first one took about 5 minutes to get down. The second one alot faster. As for running into one in the wild, it would have to be really big to try to take on a full grown adult. Kids and pets is another story. Not living in Florida I'm a bit removed from just how big an issue it is but if they are more or less declaring it persona non grata and advising people to kill them it must be bad. Now what are the PETA kooks gonna say about this?

they estimate the population @over 10.000

Moby Dick was a minnow the last time UF lost to Auburn....

Moby Dick was hardly a minnow in 2007 when Auburn beat the gators in the Swamp. :D

Pete.

Great post, and I appreciate you posting this point of interest to me.

I just saw A program on the Discovery Channel about this Huge problem in Florida , and how damaging it is to the Crocodile and American Alligator, I am pleased to hear the authorities are finally doing something about it all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom