Help Stop the Spread of Burmese Pythons in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never seen a more trumped up media hyped story the "burmese python" problem in the everglades. No doubt they are established, but I personally have gone out looking for them 4 times when I had snake hunting buddies visiting from up north and have never seen one--not one time. I have traveled to and from the road to flamingo many times fishing in the morning and evening and never seen one. I own a reptile store in deerfield(not the one who sells venomous or burmese pythons) and I can personally attest this is more media sensationalism than anything. They dont belong here and should be captured and or killed if given the opportunity, but for those worried about being attacked, I would not worry. And for those that think they are posing some serious threat to natural wildlife---that is hilarious. Feral cats cause a million times the species damage than the burmese ever could, but go out with a .22 and start plugging those guys and see how well received that is. Another food source for the american alligator and other natural predators--that is what 99% of the baby burmese that hatch end up as. You have 7 "licensed" collectors who I know personally. Each one is allowed to bring 5 people with them, and last I heard they had caught less than 10--someone here quoted the number of 17, which may be true, but seriously--35 people collecting an area for weeks, and they catch 17? Yeah--sounds like a real serious threat. I heard one report stating that they estimate 100,000 head in the glades?--Give me a break.
Here is another clever fact that you never read about. They want to blame reptile enthusiasts for releasing there pets in the wild which has caused this problem--COMPLETE HORSE****!!---They can trace the entire everglades gene pool to one reptile breeders collection who lost his building during hurricane andrew. So due to a problem induced by a natural disaster, they blame the entire snake keeping community and start restricting hobbyist rights. What a joke. I am not here to endorse burmese pythons, and as a matter of fact, we tried to steer customers away from them, even when they were 100% unregulated, but jeez--talk about typical media induced panic.

I have never seen a more trumped up media hyped story the "burmese python" problem in the everglades. No doubt they are established, but I personally have gone out looking for them 4 times when I had snake hunting buddies visiting from up north and have never seen one--not one time. I have traveled to and from the road to flamingo many times fishing in the morning and evening and never seen one. I own a reptile store in deerfield(not the one who sells venomous or burmese pythons) and I can personally attest this is more media sensationalism than anything. They dont belong here and should be captured and or killed if given the opportunity, but for those worried about being attacked, I would not worry. And for those that think they are posing some serious threat to natural wildlife---that is hilarious. Feral cats cause a million times the species damage than the burmese ever could, but go out with a .22 and start plugging those guys and see how well received that is. Another food source for the american alligator and other natural predators--that is what 99% of the baby burmese that hatch end up as. You have 7 "licensed" collectors who I know personally. Each one is allowed to bring 5 people with them, and last I heard they had caught less than 10--someone here quoted the number of 17, which may be true, but seriously--35 people collecting an area for weeks, and they catch 17? Yeah--sounds like a real serious threat. I heard one report stating that they estimate 100,000 head in the glades?--Give me a break.
Here is another clever fact that you never read about. They want to blame reptile enthusiasts for releasing there pets in the wild which has caused this problem--COMPLETE HORSE****!!---They can trace the entire everglades gene pool to one reptile breeders collection who lost his building during hurricane andrew. So due to a problem induced by a natural disaster, they blame the entire snake keeping community and start restricting hobbyist rights. What a joke. I am not here to endorse burmese pythons, and as a matter of fact, we tried to steer customers away from them, even when they were 100% unregulated, but jeez--talk about typical media induced panic.

I would be interested in reading more about the one gene pool theory. Can you provide a resource?

what pet store do you shop at that has venomous snakes?:shocked2:

I stopped in a petstore in key largo and they had lionfish for sale. You'd think they would notice whats going on with them and think twice but I guess not.

For immediate release: September 9, 2009

Photo: Go to MyFWC.com/Newsroom and click on the headline for this story.

Python control and legislation discussed by FWC

Pythons first appeared in South Florida nearly two decades ago, and they now take center stage as efforts to control their proliferation in the Everglades continue by wildlife managers at both the federal and state levels. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) continues to search for solutions for controlling the further invasion of this exotic species, as well as all reptiles of concern in Florida.
On Wednesday at the FWC meeting in Howey-in-the-Hills, staff presented an update on the reptile of concern programs to date, offered suggestions for further management measures, and discussed potential legislation that could possibly affect the management and enforcement of reptile of concern policies.
After listening to approximately 20 speakers address the issues regarding Burmese pythons and reptiles of concern, the Commission approved a draft rule that codifies an Executive Order, effective Aug. 29, allowing hunters to take pythons in the course of hunting game species in Florida. Commissioners directed staff to bring back a final rule at the December meeting in Clewiston.
They also asked Col. Julie Jones, the FWC’s director of law enforcement, to open rulemaking and look at the science behind personal pet ownership and breeding and sale by Florida’s reptile industry. Commissioners asked Jones to bring back a wide range of options, with complete flexibility, for the Commission to consider.
The Commission heard from the reptile industry and conservation groups before taking the vote.
“Let’s find out everything we can about this problem,” said Commissioner Ron Bergeron. “Then we can move forward diligently.”
Tim Breault, the FWC’s director of the Division of Habitat and Species, began the presentations by addressing the FWC’s efforts thus far to control the spread of Burmese pythons in South Florida. He also spoke about the future of pythons in Florida.
“It’s natural to have a spike in the population of a nonnative species, and I think right now we’re seeing the explosive stage,” Breault said. “As we continue to implement control measures, our large native species will figure out what to do eventually; I am hopeful once that happens that Florida’s native wildlife will take control.”
Jackie Fauls, the FWC’s director of Legislative Affairs, provided the Commission an overview of the possible state legislation, including proposed bills by Sen. Lee Constantine, R-Altamonte Springs; Rep. Darren Soto, D-Orlando; and Rep. Ralph Poppell, R-Titusville, that would provide stricter licensing requirements and increase penalties and fines for violating licensing requirements and for releasing nonnative animals in the wild.
Sen. Eleanor Sobel, D-Hollywood, also proposes a ban on pet ownership of reptiles of concern.
Jones asked the Commission to allow staff to open up rulemaking for reptiles of concern and other nonnatives to strengthen regulatory controls.
“Staff understands the python issue and wants to proactively develop solutions for the future,” Jones said. “Pythons are a sign of a much bigger issue, and we want to apply all the new rules and regulations to all nonnative species in Florida.”
Chairman Rodney Barreto said science and facts must guide decision-making on this issue as answers are sought for a solution.
“There’s a huge battle cry for an all-out ban, but it is uncharacteristic of this agency to have knee-jerk reactions,” Barreto said. “Let’s put everything out on the table and encourage the industry to keep working with us to find the answers.”

Last edited:
“It’s natural to have a spike in the population of a nonnative species, and I think right now we’re seeing the explosive stage,” Breault said. “As we continue to implement control measures, our large native species will figure out what to do eventually; I am hopeful once that happens that Florida’s native wildlife will take control.”

Sounds like he is hopeful the aligators and crocodiles are going to brainstorm the defeat of the pythons. Perhaps I am just reading this too late in the evening...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom