Help to plan 4 diving days in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you will see much more with a guide. on maui shaka doug is awesome for shore diving and 5 caves is a must. i felt i got more out of the shore dives then i did out on a boat..and much cheaper too.
i also put my vote in for a night manta dive on kona...it's on my list of must-do's

September is a great time to be here. Warm water, small crowds, great diving. You're gonna wish you had more time!!

Have you set up your accommodations on Maui yet? It would be a good idea to start putting that together in advance. If you are looking, please check out Tracy's Tropical Treasures - Vacation Rentals in Maui, Hawaii for an excellent condo experience close to all the good diving. Tell Tracy I sent you! :)

By the way, where are you coming from?

The only way I would hit all those islands on a relatively short trip would be on a cruise... I would seriously suggest reconsidering your plan. As much as it may seem like a good idea, you're going to see less, not more. You won't really get to experience any of the islands. You'll waste too much time packing and traveling from place to place. You also don't leave yourself any room to reschedule something you really want to do but weather or something doesn't cooperate. Or to repeat something like the manta night dive if you get skunked. With diving of course you have the added schedule complication of avoiding flying too soon after diving. With Hawaii you also have to be concerned with driving some places too soon after diving. And then there's that traveling with wet dive gear thing, assuming you are taking your own and not renting, which might be a better idea for some of it in this case. (IIRC gear rental was included or very inexpensive with all the day ops we've used in Hawaii, but I don't know if that is a general rule.)

I've been/dove Maui once, and the Big Island several times. Also been to Oahu a couple times but never dove there. I think a combo of Maui and the Big Island would provide a good set of diving opportunities for a first trip there. They also both have lots to see on land. Oahu had lots to see on land too, and I've done quite a bit of it because I was there anyway, but most of it I could take a pass on too. Depends what you are most interested in, and there's lots of Hawaii travel info out there that talks about the land stuff.

Back
Top Bottom