Help with a DEPP Claim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was going to insure my stuff I'd first check with the local people who insure my household belongings to see if they would cover my diving gear so that if anything happens I would be able to confront them on a one-to-one basis not some mystery person at the end of a prolonged telephone and email situation. As far as a camera case flooding goes I'd feel REAL lucky if they paid off unless it was cracked because of some manufacturing malfunction for some reason and not a seal letting go or leaking.

If you have contents insurance on your house / apartment it is real easy to add your gear on to the policy. We did this the first time i bought a underwater video housing. and yes it flooded. made the call to my agent, brought the damaged video camera in, along with a receipt for the replacement camera & they issued a cheque. I had already sent the housing back to the manufacturer (Amphibico) who promptly replaced it with a newer upgraded model (to match my new camera). easy peasy, no hassles anywhere.
I list everything including the batteries.
Adding your gear to your contents policy is a no brainer since it is really stupidity insurance - it covers all situations: theft, damage and loss (oops i dropped it overboard!). Note that this insurance has no special connection to diving - it covers all activities.

I have news, last week of December the CEO of the company contacted me and requested a notarized sworn statement of the robbery, I sent it right away. After a few weeks they requested an english translation of the police report, I already sent it. So I am keeping my hopes up. I guess the process will take time but it seems that they are working on it. I will keep you informed of any updtes.

Want to see some claims they denied? DAN is an excellent organization and their Dive Insurance or similar is essential, but the rest of their brokered for profit insurance line is not so great, IMO. They added those of members suggestions, but - well, ever been a member of a Co-op?
Are there alternatives to DEPP with good reputation?
Allstates Personal Article Policy is the best. They canceled me after a few claims, but well - I left way ahead anyway. For the claims I made, they were fast and easy.

Next best would probly be a home owners rider.

Six months and no check. Forget it.

I finally got a check from DEPP in November (sorry for not posting this sooner).

This is the last response I got from them before I got the check:

Mr. Harris,

Please except my apologies for the extended time frame in getting your check. As an explanation, DEPP is not a refund program and when we do refunds it has always taken longer. With that said the insurance company is also now doing their own due diligence with every claim instead of only occasionally checking. This has extended all of our claim payments. Your check is mailing today #1518 for $720 which shows the $80 deductible with held.

Best Regards,

Sandy Hall

Along the way I got this response from DEPP:

Mr. Harris,

Your claim has been approved and is in the que to be paid. They are paid in the order they are received and completed. You are currently about 15 claims back in the que. I will let you know when the check is mailing and forward a check number as well.

Sandy

By the end I figured out who the insurance broker was and contacted him directly.
His name is Deane Lehrmitt and his email addresses are DWL@IPGInsurance.net and/or DWL@IPGInsurance.net. He did send me this email after I contacted him:

Mr. Harris: Your claim was authorized on 08/24/2010. It was referred to
us due to the lack of specific claim information provided on the claim
report. However, as indicated, the claim has since been authorized on
08/24. Sorry for any delay, and we appreciate your business.

Sincerely:

Deane Lehrmitt

Needless to say they never contacted me for additional information or I would have provided it. They bounce this around internally until you either give up or bother them about every other day. No way to run an airline!!!

The worst part of this whole process was the lack of communication from them. I replaced the camera that was flooded, but when my policy comes up for renewal in April I will be looking elsewhere.

Duke

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom