Help with C-8080

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone,

Thank you again for all of your responses. To answer a few of the questions:

1. The strobe was in sync with the camera (I tested it on land before my second dive)
2. The camera was set for external strobe only and defaulted to "Slow1"
3. The strobe was set on TTL
4. All shots that I posted were shot from 10 feet or less.
5. The strobe was aimed correctly for this distance.

That's about all of the detail that I can think of for now. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Bob

Just from the images posted, I am skeptical that either a) your strobe is in sync or b) your have them aimed correctly

Here's why. Most of the shots posted show no color, even in the foreground. Even if you were too far away, you should have color there. Its either a sync issue or a TTL issue or an aiming issue.

Just my uneducated guess. Others will have a more informed opinion and I defer to them.

Terry

Everyone,

I had a chance to play with my C-8080 and DS125 and did discover a sync problem but a rather odd one. The camera and strobe work fine when the strobe is set at 1/2 power or less. At full power however, the strobe is no longer in sync with the camera. The shutter trips (opens and closes) before the strobe fires.

I was using the camera in manual mode and it was set for external strobe only and defaulted to "slow1" (although neither the "slow1" nor "slow2" settings would sync properly). I believe what is happening is that the strobe is receiving two pulses from the camera like it is working in "red eye reduction" mode (you vcna see the two flashes in 1/2 power or less). To my knowledge, when using an external strobe there is no way to activate (or de-activate) the red eye reduction. Has anyone else had this problem and is there anyway I resolve it ??? I bought this camera specifically for underwater photography and will be very disappointed if I can't use my strobe at full power. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thank you.

Bob

Bob

Glad that you have identified the problem .

Try e-mailing ryan@reefphoto.com - he should be able to help you if no one here can .
There must be a solution .

Good luck

You CAN you use the camera at full power in manual mode, (non-ttl) I do it all the time. I had a simalar problem with strobe sync. Turns out I had a bad sync cable. Contact Ike at Ikelite. Send it in, if it's bad they will fix it or send you a new one....most likely.

Of course, since it is only having the problem when dialed down to half power and seems erratic, maybe your TTL conversion board is wacky. You would have to send the entire housing in then.
Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom