help with D-70s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
How do you like the Ikelite iTTL? How do you shoot with it, like what settings? Do you use exposure compensation on the flash?

I've been wanting to find someone who is using ikelite iTTL to see what their experiences are with it. Would it be just as easy to shoot manual with the strobes?

Ron, I actually don't have the iTTL. I got my system before Ike broke the Nikon code and by the time they offered the upgrade, I was so used to manual - I have the controllers - that I went without. I have been tempted to go with the upgrade just to get rid of the external controllers and extra wires, but I think I would still use manual strobes.

Those that have been using it seem very happy with it for macro work but end up using manual mode for WA. Personally, for macro, I like the idea of setting my strobes at different power levels and I'm not sure I want to give that up. So, for now anyway, I'm plugging along with the "old" manual controllers. Of course if you buy a Ike housing now, you have to get the iTTL.

There is another way to get iTTL. this german company makes a converter that will work with many strobes including some that are non digital ready. even on the dinosaurs I use it will let me control the output via the flash and EV compensation controls on the D70

http://heinrichsweikamp.net/blitz/indexe.htm

I have the Matthias adaptor on my Oly-7070 and Oly housing. It works nicely with my Sea&Sea auto 90 strobe.

It doesn't look like there is an bulkhead for the Ikelite housings. I wish there was, as I'm moving in the direction of the DSLR and have a D-200 on order right now. Since Ikelite makes the most reasonable housing for the camera at this time it would be nice to have iTTL control without having to buy new strobes.

Could you explain what iTTL is to me?

Thank you.

iTTL is Nikon's TTL implementation for the D70S. TTL measures the amount of light for a shot and automatically shuts off the strobes or flash for the proper exposure. It measures the light Through The Lens (TTL).

ABQdiver:
I have the Matthias adaptor on my Oly-7070 and Oly housing. It works nicely with my Sea&Sea auto 90 strobe.

It doesn't look like there is an bulkhead [from Matthias] for the Ikelite housings. I wish there was, as I'm moving in the direction of the DSLR and have a D-200 on order right now. Since Ikelite makes the most reasonable housing for the camera at this time it would be nice to have iTTL control without having to buy new strobes.

The Ikelite DS strobes are really good, and Ikelite supports them very well. You should consider them. Until your budget allows it though, you can run in manual mode with your existing strobe just fine using the Ikelite housing -- it has a "dumb" manual mode for non-Ikelite DS strobes.

I think it might be possible to use your old YS-90 strobes on the Ikelite housing in full iTTL mode too, but you would have to fool the Ikelite iTTL converter into thinking they are DS strobes. To do that, it seems you have to supply power to the converter, and use an Ikelite connector instead of Nikonos. I think it's pretty simple for a competent engineer to do, although I have not done it. I may try this one of these days with an old strobe. I may add a modeling LED too, its such a pain not having that. I'd like to keep my old YS-90s running for another few years too.

Warren_L:
iTTL is Nikon's TTL implementation for the D70S. TTL measures the amount of light for a shot and automatically shuts off the strobes or flash for the proper exposure. It measures the light Through The Lens (TTL).

To add to this, most DSLR's use TTL metering, in fact I can not think of one that does not. So what you have when you add flash is a camera that uses a built in reflective meter that measures both ambiant AND flash light at the sensor plane. When you add flash, then there is a seperate part of the built in TTL system that measures, and controls the flash via the TTL metering system. In the case of Nikon that is called iTTL.

Your D70's built in flash uses iTTL to control the output.

Most systems use a series of preflashes to try and determine what level the flash needs to be set at. There are a few modes, but broken down most camera's either attempt to balance the flash with ambiant light, or they rely on the flash as a primary light source. Balancing ambiant and flash is generally defined as *fill* flash.

A VERY useful tool in setting flash via iTTL is the flash exposure compensation. Reflective meters are easily fooled, in addition strobes produce harsh flat light. One way to gain a more natural look, and to prevent overexposed highlights when using flash is to back down the flash exposure. So I often shoot with a flash exposure compensation of -2 stops. That allows the flash to fill in shadow area's without really impacting the overall natural light.

This technique can be used with a manual flash as well, but one has to often mess around a bit to get the flash power at a setting that is approximately 2 stops or so less then the ambiant light. iTTL is nice as it generally works well without having to measure ambiant light, and the flash output seperately, or with a ambiant light meter. If shooting in a dynamic environment when light conditions are changing (for example a sunny day with lots of cloud cover so the sun goes from bright to blocked often) iTTL is really nice. If shooting in an environment where the light is constant, manual shooting works very well as one can set it, and basically forget it as if light conditions remain constant, so will the manual flash output, and exposure in camera.

I could likely write a book on reflective and ambiant meters, and their shortcommings. One thing to keep in mind is that reflective meters are easily fooled by very bright, or very dark subjects. This is where the manual settings can work better than allowing the camera to just do it as if one get's the manual flash and exposure set correctly for a nuteral scene in a given light then the reflective meter is not adjusting for highly reflective or dark situations in error.

Nice explaination Ron!! :bang:

I just went with D70s and the DS-125. I was worried about the TTL loss I had from my film camera but with only a few dives on the camera I'm wondering what the fuss was about. I have the manual controller which makes all the difference. Take a shot, check the histogram, take another if its not good, fantastic. After a few shots you start to get a real handle on the power needed for your shots.

Guys thank you very much, i been reading the manuals and i even got a DVD to try to understand the camera better, i been shooting pictures like crazy top side and i love it, the pictures look great, now i just have to save a beat more and get the housing and strobes, for what i understand, the best thing i can do is go for the Ikelite kit, but that will be around 3k, so that is going to take me a while to put together.

I guess i will be taking some nice pictures of Boston cover with snow this weekend.

Thank you again and keep posting, every tip you guys give me is greatly appreciated.

-Raf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom