help with D-70s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs:
for wide angle the 12-24 is the best choice, but if on a budget, the 16 mm fisheye works quite well as well as the Sigma 14 mm.

have to dissagree!

the sigma 10-20 is best wide angle budget lens out there as this is almost half the cost of the 12-24.

going straight to fish eye is not a good idea

clive francis:
have to dissagree!

the sigma 10-20 is best wide angle budget lens out there as this is almost half the cost of the 12-24.

going straight to fish eye is not a good idea

I am not familiar with the 10-24, I havent read any reviews on it. May be worth looking at. it it available in a nikon mount?

Anyway, the 16 mm fisheye is not all that "fishy" when used on a small sensor DSLR such as the D70, and these are dirt cheap on the used market now. the 16 mm is great for close focus wide angle on the D70 due to its incredibly short min focus distance.

I do agree that a true 180 degree fisheye is not a good choice for a novice.

Sigma 10-20 let me do some research and see if it is compatible with the D-70s, but if it does looks like a good choice, cheap and easy, just what i'm looking for

Rafael:
Sigma 10-20 let me do some research and see if it is compatible with the D-70s, but if it does looks like a good choice, cheap and easy, just what i'm looking for

I believe the lens comes with in a Nikon AF bayonet format. The bigger issue is whether you can get the proper port for it with your housing.

I just got the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC HSM lens. The Ike 6" dome port for it is the 5503.50 port. According to the port chart it does not require a diopter (minimum focus is 9.4"). I'll find out how it works this weekend.

I keep looking at the ike housing, and i love it, but with strobes and ports is over 3K, i think i will have to hang on for a while till i can afford that.

Too bad caz diving season is around the corner for me.

The Sigma 10-20 works great, a very nice lens. It is kind of a pain to get into the Ike housing. The front of the lens is too big to slide the zoom gear to slip over. You have to install the zoom gear with the lens off camera from the rear of the lens. Then the lens is mounted through the front of the housing. All a very tight fit but it does work nice. Worth the extra effort.

DSC_2254.jpg

There is a higher res one in my gallery. It' not full res as it was shot in raw.

Rooster:
The Sigma 10-20 works great, a very nice lens. It is kind of a pain to get into the Ike housing. The front of the lens is too big to slide the zoom gear to slip over. You have to install the zoom gear with the lens off camera from the rear of the lens. Then the lens is mounted through the front of the housing. All a very tight fit but it does work nice. Worth the extra effort.

That's the same with the Nikkor 12-24mm lens. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's not such a big deal after a while.

Rafael:
Hi, i just got the Nikon D70s, and my plan is to use it underwater, but i have no clue what lenses should i get to start, i think i will go for the Ikelite housing, now, my other problem is the most of my diving is in New England, where the viz is just poor.

What kind of lenses and strobes will you recomend for this kind of diving?

I will be taking some classes to get more familiar with the camera and undestand the diferent functions and options better, and for what i have read it is not the best camera for a beginer, i can't find much information or classes for underwather photography.

Thank you on advance for your help.:thinkingo
Hi Rafael,

Please check the link below for the widw angle zoom lenses comparison:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/wide_angles_shootout/index.html

As for the Nikon D70S camera housing, I think Aquatica D70 Housing might be a better choice for you. It's an aluminum housing rated for depth of 300 feet and it won't crack like a plastic housing. In addition, I don't think it's much more expensive than an Ikelite Housing. Please pay a visit at:

http://www.aquatica.ca/index1.html

As for underwater strobe, I think both Ikelite, Sea & Sea or Inon are good. And Ikelite has very good reputation of excellent customer service.

Good luck with your underwater photography.

Best regards,

Terry

oldpeanut:
Hi Rafael,

Please check the link below for the widw angle zoom lenses comparison:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/wide_angles_shootout/index.html

As for the Nikon D70S camera housing, I think Aquatica D70 Housing might be a better choice for you. It's an aluminum housing rated for depth of 300 feet and it won't crack like a plastic housing. In addition, I don't think it's much more expensive than an Ikelite Housing. Please pay a visit at:

http://www.aquatica.ca/index1.html

As for underwater strobe, I think both Ikelite, Sea & Sea or Inon are good. And Ikelite has very good reputation of excellent customer service.

Good luck with your underwater photography.

Best regards,

Terry

Thank you this housing looks like a pretty good alternative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom