Help with Decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lp85s are a great choice for drysuit diving up to the 200ft range, and hold up well past there to about 250 (maybe 270 depending on your plan) with just the addition of a stage. Really great tanks. Pair with a 40lb doubles wing and a simple backplate and you've got a top notch platform. Wing and plate can be had used for cheap on ebay if you're patient, tanks are probably about 500.

For cave stuff you really need the extra volume of a set of 104s and a 50-60lb wing. I suggest crossing that bridge when you get there.

wreck penetration and/or technical diving with decompression is really no place for a single tank, H lave or not.

MA3,

As much as it sucks to have to replace gear, I'd go with a set of doubles. They are not cumbersome if everything is balanced, and I wouldn't be comfortable doing penetrations without independent gas supplies. LP85s would be good for this, and if you overfill them you can carry a lot of back gas. I would also buy a used BP/W from here or one of the other forums. You may prefer it over your knighthawk for all your diving.

... wreck penetration and/or technical diving with decompression is really no place for a single tank, H lave or not.

There are a lot of enjoyable wreck dives in the Great Lakes Huron, Michigan, and Superior that can be enjoyed with a single tank + bailout. I liked best touring around the outside of the wooden wrecks. I liked diving the debris field, too, but usually wouldn't do this without the capacity and redundancy back-mounted doubles afforded. I never really liked penetrating--neither wrecks nor caves--so didn't do much of this, and when I did, or when I wanted to stay at depth longer, I wore back-mounted doubles.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Do you double the 130s or is this single mount? If single what do you do for redundancy?
I know a lady who runs dual 130s. She's a very serious cave diver. Her rig weights more then she does. It's all doable, but you have to be strong and move cautiously. Nothing good happens fast when you are walking with that kind of weight.

Are doubles that much more balanced and safe than a big steel 130 with a y valve and a 40 cf pony.? Please don't flame me, just inquiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of enjoyable wreck dives in the Great Lakes Huron, Michigan, and Superior that can be enjoyed with a single tank + bailout. I liked best touring around the outside of the wooden wrecks. I liked diving the debris field, too, but usually wouldn't do this without the capacity and redundancy back-mounted doubles afforded. I never really liked penetrating--neither wrecks nor caves--so didn't do much of this, and when I did, or when I wanted to stay at depth longer, I wore back-mounted doubles.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

ya, outside stuff is cool with a single. but inside stuff? nah, not a smrt move.

Are doubles that much more balanced and safe than a big steel 130 with a y valve and a 40 cf pony.? Please don't flame me, just inquiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would simply write "Yup" but SB requires a reply be at least 5 characters.

:d

As mentioned above, a Y-valve helps you ACCESS the gas in your tank if you have a first stage failure but does nothing for you if AMOUNT of gas is your issue.

Every diver moving forward has been in the same spot you are in now. A lot of gear configurations will work, but the real question is what works the best. IMHO the Y or H valve is a no go. The current mainstream training is back mounted doubles, with side mounted indies coming on strong. We all wanted to try and save some money to move on with current gear, but the more you learn you will soon find out that single tank rec gear in any configuration is a no go for were you want to be.
YMMV
Eric

Chances are, once you get into a BP and wing for your doubles, you'll want to use it for single tank diving too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom