Help with getting unusual odor out of a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I figure 2 days in the cenotes and 6 days diving Cozumel can get rid of any lingering odor? Who knew neoprene sucks up cigarette/cigar smell like that?

I used to keep my SCUBA gear in the garage most of the year and my husband often smoked in there. When I pulled out my gear and put it in my friend's car, we could really smell it. As soon as I went diving and the bag and all the gear was wet, there was no more smoke smell. That was it for keeping my gear where he smokes... It should come out during the dives if not wetsuit shampoo before. Good luck...

skimmed over this thread and saw some answers, i just was my wetsuit in woolite on gentle cycle and it smells good afterwards.

Helo everyone. I recently bought a secondhand dive computer that reeks of smoke (Oceanic air integrated with the compass on it, so it's quite big). I'm worried about using anything strong on it, and charcoal, baking soda, and sitting in a tub with dish detergent have not helped. Any suggestions? Maybe it's not as fragile as I'm concerned it is. Mostly hard plastic, some rubber, and a little metal. The screen has a protector on it. Any ideas?

The OP's 16 year old son would be 21 now.... Time flies! I wonder if he's still diving.

Dr X
New
Helo everyone. I recently bought a secondhand dive computer that reeks of smoke (Oceanic air integrated with the compass on it, so it's quite big). I'm worried about using anything strong on it, and charcoal, baking soda, and sitting in a tub with dish detergent have not helped. Any suggestions? Maybe it's not as fragile as I'm concerned it is. Mostly hard plastic, some rubber, and a little metal. The screen has a protector on it. Any ideas?

Try ATMOSKLEAR. I bought a used wing that teamed of smoke inside and out used ATMOSKLEAR on it and it got ride of the odor after a couple of applications. It should be safe on your DC.
Today at 6:52 AM
Like+ QuoteReplyQuote in Conversation

I won't read every post. I put baby shampoo on it and rinse well after every dive. This removes the PEE smell. it may work on smoke smell. I smoke a pipe on occasion (while during S.I.). Haven't noticed tobacco smell on wetsuit--but I can't smell much anyway (says my wife)......

I can't understand how that DC could absorb any smoke. There could be some residue adhering to it that a soak in a safe solution should remove.

You would be surprised (I was). The odor is strong, from nooks and crannies and seams in the console and compass. And the rubber boot (not removable). The hose itself smells very little.

I tried soaking it in a tub of very soapy water (dishwashing liquid) over 24 hrs last night. Definitely improved, but not gone. The rubber boot especially seems to have absorbed a lot of odor.

I'm thinking of attacking the console with a baking soda slurry and a toothbrush to get into the hard to reach areas. Or dish soap and a toothbrush.

The rubber boot I might try soaking in febreze or atmosklear. What do you all think?

BTW, thanks everyone for responding.

I would try soaking in white vinegar and water.
Vinegar will do wonders for odors. If you leave a load of clothes in a washer too long running it again with vinegar will take out the mildew and sour smell.

Last edited:
I have had good luck soaking my stinky boots in a tub of water with Simple Green mixed in. Let it soak, rinsed, and took care of the stink. Mirazyme has also worked for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom