Help with mosquitoes!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol, thanks all for the tips! The main problem with this particular quarry was that we had to park and load our gear onto carts and walk a quarter mile to it, so it wasn't really feasible for me to pre-assemble my gear :( I do like that idea though and will try that for places where we can park right next to the water.

I think what I will do going forward is wear a light long sleeve and my yoga pants and just coat myself with deet (I do like the sound of that permathrin stuff!), assemble my gear, then scramble into my suit as fast as possible, then respray myself ASAP after the dive.

I'll try the foggers too, for the most part when I see people use those though it doesn't even phase the mosquitoes :rolleyes: I've been meaning to try out the Avon stuff too, will have to pick up a bottle of it.

51bQ-S0lWIL.jpgAmazon.com: Off! Clip-On Starter Kit: Health & Personal Care

I was actually wondering about those yesterday...the reviews aren't encouraging though.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

The mosquitos are especially bad this year, even in the sun. I can tell you that Avon Skin-So-Soft doesn't work, nor do those little clip on fans. Using deet is the only way to deter them, unfortunately.

i've seen a few organic based insect repellants -- they seem to work okay down here... i don't think the fans work very well either..
could consider a lycra dive skin --

Heh, the mosquitoes out here bite through jeans, so unfortunately I don't see a lycra suit deterring them even a little bit. Although I suppose it would help me get into the wetsuit faster...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ThermaCELL® Mosquito Repellent – Olive Drab Appliance : Cabela's

I do a lot of hunting and fishing in rice country and this is what we use. You can buy refills and it will last a few hours per chemical mat and does an awesome job except on really windy days. Just fire it up when you get ready and it will usually work good for a 10-25 ft. radius. It does get warm so turn it off and let it cool before packing it near plastic or flammable materials. This is your best bet from my experience in mosquito country where I have lived all my life.

What "nogoslow" said... they really work! :thumb:
Academy sells 'em too.

Back
Top Bottom