Help with weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneypit

Reaction score
I am still having a problem with the amount of weight i need. Zeagle Ranger BC-empty(checked by buddy), 500lbs in aluminum tank, Mares Isothermal Semi-Dry 6.5 suit, hood, gloves and boots, 1 breath to float at eye level I have to use 30lbs!!!!!!!!!
Take off the suit, gloves, and hood and boots and I only need 8lbs.
I just ordered a Akona 3mm 1 pc and will see what that takes.
any help would be appreciated. before I sink to the bottom.

The bad news is that 20+ lbs of lift for a new 6.5mm suit is probably about right, at least at the surface. Now you know why cold water divers use large capacity BC's: when you lose that bouyancy at 70 ft, you're going to need a lot of help getting to the surface. The 3mm will create less lift but you're going to find it's inadequate for diving in Michigan but it will be useful on warm water trips.

Start looking at drysuits now so that you'll know what you want when you finally get tired of diving wet in cold water.

Oh, yeah, and welcome to the board and to the underwater world. If you haven't already, stop by the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew forum. There are a bunch of Michiganders that hang out there and they like newbies.

Thanks for the info, Did not have the money for a drysuit at the time I bought the semi-dry and I wanted to get started in the great lakes ( had my diving start in Belize!) Will give the club a call and see about getting with them.

I live and dive in michigan also. I use a ss backplate and al 80's . With a 3mm shorty I use no additional weight. With a 5/4/3 , hood , and gloves I have to wear 6 pounds. But that combo in 47 degree water was not too warm. I am thinking of purchasing a semi dry , not enough money in the budget yet for a dry suit. What do you think of your suit?

For warmth it works great, if I get the seals right I have come out of the suit almost dry. Biggest problem with the one I have is the zipper, across the shoulders on the back, just can't do it myself. I didn't like the neck seal but once in the water I don't even notice. Overall I like it except for the zipper. But since we are all supposed to dive with a buddy...............:)

moneypit:
I am still having a problem with the amount of weight i need. Zeagle Ranger BC-empty(checked by buddy), 500lbs in aluminum tank, Mares Isothermal Semi-Dry 6.5 suit, hood, gloves and boots, 1 breath to float at eye level I have to use 30lbs!!!!!!!!!

When I started I was at 29lbs with a 6.5 farmer jon gloves boots and hood. The lowest I could get down to was 26 and have to work to get down no problem at 15 feet if I need a safety stop. 6'2" 195 lbs.

I tried less once and could not stay shallow "10 feet" without swimming down all the time. With 26 lbs I don't even need air in my BCD until I get below 20 feet. Depending on your weight I would say you are close enough.

moneypit:

mp,

Just a thought... to be absolutely sure your BC is empty, suck the air from the inflator. It's better than a buddy check.

Steel cylinders can reduce some of the load and add capacity.

I give all of you guys credit for diving up north!

Chad

Back
Top Bottom