Helpful hints for new divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

femalediver

Reaction score
Hello, I have only dived one in my life and it was a very scary but wonderful experience. I would like to hear some ways that could make the experience more enjoyable and less frightening. I will be going to Puerto Rico in April for the first time and would like to dive again while I am there. However, the last time I went diving I did not have the best instructor as he was more annoyed with the fact that he had to teach us and wanted to get in the water. I cannot say that I can really blame the guy, but it did suck for us. Thanks!

Where were you that you had an instructor that was annoyed at having to teach you? Sounds like one of those resort specials. I would recommend you check out a dive shop in your area and take an open water course before you go on vacation. They will go through all of the theory and skills necessary for you to be safe underwater. This should help your enjoyment and confidence, and of course your safety.

I think someone like that has no business instructing anyone. Steer clear and get some real instruction. There are enough people who care about safe scuba diving and introducing new people to the sport that you should have no problem finding one. Good luck and keep diving, its one of the most rewarding activities one can partake in.

Well, femalediver, it sounds as though you had a Discover Scuba experience that wasn't a good one. Those things are kind of rushed by definition, and work fine for people with good in-water comfort, who have no issues with basic skills. But not everybody fits that definition!

The answer to your question is to find a good dive class close to home, with an instructor who will take time and make sure you are comfortable before going on. You CAN, if you wish, do all the classroom and pool work at home, and do the open water dives in warm water at your destination. (Although that takes two days out of your diving time on your vacation, because the checkout dives are largely just skills demonstrations.) Or you can do the entire class at home, and dive on your trip.

Where are you in California? I'm sure somebody on this board can give you a recommendation for a reallly good local dive education experience.

I second what TSandM said.
If you go to the Norcal/Socal Forum you can get a lot of good local advise on where to go to get scuba certified, what you can expect, and what you should know.
I'm always creeping the Norcal forum along w/ a few other divers ;P.
Forum->Regional Travel & Dive Clubs ->United States -> CA Kelp Divers
That'll bring you to the Socal and Norcal forums

And you have every right to blame that instructor. You don't make money teaching scuba. Why anyone would choose to become an instructor and isn't passionate about teaching scuba is beyond me. 9-9

From the sounds of it, it appears that you did a discover scuba dive. If you like scuba diving and plan on doing it again, even just for vacation, I would highly recommend getting certified. There's so much that they don't tell you during Discover Scuba. You're basically relying on the instructor to keep you safe, and there's plenty of things that you can do wrong without knowing.
Being certified is a lot more liberating. And you can still dive with instructors or divemasters when you're on vacation.
Don't want to scare you but just holding your breath at 4ft and standing up on scuba can hurt you badly.
My Discover Scuba Instructor never told me that. =\

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Obviously, feeling comfortable and relaxed is very important. Knowing your personal comfort-zone, and diving safely within the limits of your level of skill and training, is a big part of the art of enjoying diving. The good news is that your level of comfort will almost always improve as you gain more experience.

Scubaboard can be a helpful resource for info on reputable dive operators. You might consider doing a little research in advance of your trip to possibly help narrow the choices in the area(s) you will be staying. I would also always be up-front with anyone providing you services about your expectations and/or past concerns. May I ask what specific aspects of your experience made it frightening?

I agree with the earlier recommendations. I am very thankful that my OW class had several pool sessions before we ever got close to a lake or the ocean. These times in a controlled environment gave me the chance to become comfortable with the equipment and the procedures that I would use while diving. If my first experience was jumping off the back of a boat I might have had WAY more stress and WAY less enjoyment. Take your time and get used to breathing underwater.

DSDs and intro dives do not have to be such horrendous experiences - and not all resort instructors are as crappy as your own. I have to say that because I am defending my corner here - and I've conducted quite a few (understatement) DSDs over the years! :D

Of course - it is a brief introduction to scuba, and it is a marketing tactic for people who are curious, but either don't have the time for a course, or are unwilling to pay up front in case they don't enjoy it. What exactly was scary about your own experience, or was it simply that the instructor did not give you confidence?

If you loved it, then yes, getting certified is a much better option because you will learn a great deal more and this will only increase your comfort level in the water. If you can't afford this, or don't have the time, and your only real option is a repeat DSD, spend some time talking to the dive shop, preferably the instructor who will conduct it, and if at any point you do not feel 100% comfortable with them - walk away.

When you do get back in the water - I hope you enjoy it!

C.

Last edited:
You've gotten great advice, but I just wanted to chime in that, imho, anyone who would describe their first diving experience under your conditions as both "scary but wonderful" is going to make a great diver.

All you need is a good instructor as you obviously have the aptitude for diving.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I agree with all of the above, being comfortable made my OW certification a blast. I had a great instructor who was patient and full of knowledge. We had a few "slow learners" that he took extra time with (this allowed the rest of us to explorer our learned skills a little more on our own). Most are out of their comfort zone under water (makes sense to be, at least to me). Having a good instructor allowed me to relax and learn the needed skills to be safe. Because of my instructor, I am even more amped up to expand my diving experiences. Heck, I have only gotten my OW cert. and I already have all my gear and am planning trips for the Spring. Keep it quiet, my wife doesn't know I bought all this stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom