Here's the thing about underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does it not irk you that the first post in this thread is someone saying "nice HDR" even though that photo must have been "processed".

Not at all. HDR is not a sin. It just really isn't practical for underwater photography.

The simple fact of the matter is that the human eye is far more sensitive than film or ccd/cmos sensors are...

Post processing is a tool, one tool in the toolbox.

My only reason for saying it wasn't HDR is... simply... that it wasn't an HDR. Entirely different workflow.

I respect your opinion and your preferences, but yours are different than mine. That's fine, no worries.

To each their own.

I am a bit concerned to hear that you would consider giving up photography just because other styles and workflows are popular... I say fly your flag however you want to fly it, and the rest can take a hike. If you like limited PP and shooting a certain way, then who CARES what other people think. Do it your way, and stuff all who don't like it... that is their problem.

You don't have to like the way I do it, you just need to like the way YOU do it.

That's kind of how I look at it. I have a style, and if people don't like it, then that's their problem, not mine. I do this for a hobby, I don't try to sell stuff. I don't have to satisfy anybody but myself (that just sounds wrong, doesn't it?).

Which is what I meant to say, and not what I DID say. :D

I assumed as much, but am in an overly-corrective mood. :wink:

I do this for a hobby, I don't try to sell stuff. I don't have to satisfy anybody but myself (that just sounds wrong, doesn't it?).

Very good point - and I guess the point of everything we do as a hobby :)

Seeking "perfection" - and in particular in the eyes of others is an excellent way to suck the joy out of what you should be doing for your own enjoyment.

My shots are mediocre at best, but I shoot stills and short video clips to be able to share my diving with my wife and close family none of whom dive. So as long as I accomplish that, I'm doing great.

Henrik

Very good point - and I guess the point of everything we do as a hobby :)

Seeking "perfection" - and in particular in the eyes of others is an excellent way to suck the joy out of what you should be doing for your own enjoyment.

My shots are mediocre at best, but I shoot stills and short video clips to be able to share my diving with my wife and close family none of whom dive. So as long as I accomplish that, I'm doing great.

Henrik

I second this statement. My shots are also mediocre, but those shots are for me, my buddy, my family and friends, but specially for me. I do not shot under order or shot for sale. I think that my shots could be better, but I shot to remember the moments under water, I do not dive to take shots.

My shots are also mediocre, but those shots are for me, my buddy, my family and friends, but specially for me. I do not shot under order or shot for sale. I think that my shots could be better, but I shot to remember the moments under water, I do not dive to take shots.

I think it is great that you do this... shooting your buddies and families and to remind you of your dives.

It isn't why I do underwater photography... I do it to take pictures of the plants and animals and landscapes that I see down there... I am a photographer both on land and in the water, it is what I enjoy doing... I would (and do) dive without a camera, but I also do some dives expressly to take pictures as well...

But just because I and others do that doesn't mean that it is in any way better than what you are doing... it's just different kickstrokes for different folks.

I do it to fill empty space on my walls at home. Rather then spending money on art I travel and make my own.

What say you?

I'm sorry but I disagree :wink: I've seen some really really bad underwater photography, just a blur of green with a dark spot that is supposedly a fish. Some people are happy with this and that's cool, but it doesn't make it a good photo. I dislike how society these days thinks people should get kudos for effort. They should to some degree but that doesn't mean everything should be considered good as long as someone has put effort in. I think it does take talent and practice to take good underwater photography and make the picture look outstanding, it is not just the marine life.

fppf:
And that is what I hate about photography. Almost to the point of quitting. Its not about who can take good pictures in tough elements anymore. Its all about who can take a really bad shot and has mad photo shop skills.

The only post process my shots get is a little cropping. I don't even own photo shop and I'm proud of it. It really blows my lid when someone comes to my house, sees a great shot, and says "that must of took a lot of photo shop work"

I took me years to get the skills to take "good" shots, not "great" shots, and not "mind blowing" shots. I'm happy with good natural shots. Sometimes I get lucky and take a great shot. Mind blowing shots are very rare, unless there fake.

Oh please, get off your high horse. Photoshop can only help so far and it takes talent and time to post process. I don't see backscatter when I see marine life (well not often anyway) but I do see it when my photos turn out (no strobe :( which can help lower the amount of backscatter)

For example, here is one of my favourite shots (dunno why I like it but I do, don't care what others think of it, photography is about pleasing me):

3237_92640088689_729713689_2446829_2096698_n.jpg

I spent about 10mins removing backscatter and did slight colour correction in Picasa (I don't own photoshop either). This is the original:

n729713689_1942809_6828.jpg

The second shot is not what I saw. The post processed shot is what I saw. Backscatter makes things ugly and I hate seeing photos come out that I love but are ruined by backscatter. It's not a competition so who cares how others do it as long as the shots make them happy? No way is the correct way and it is incredibly pretentious to say otherwise.

Interesting issue.

I believe it is sort of neat that one can take images that exceed what most people see... from the very early days of photography, that has been one of the enduring goals.

Many of the great (if not all) photographers of the 20th century were shameless image "adjusters"...photoshop has just brought that to the normal person level...

And photography has always been (land or underwater) about capturing an image of something, and then presenting that image in an appealing way...sometimes just for yourself, sometimes for a wider group.

The only thing I see that has changed is that it is far more accessable... and I think the world is a better place for that.

I'm sorry but I disagree :wink: I've seen some really really bad underwater photography, just a blur of green with a dark spot that is supposedly a fish. Some people are happy with this and that's cool, but it doesn't make it a good photo. I dislike how society these days thinks people should get kudos for effort. They should to some degree but that doesn't mean everything should be considered good as long as someone has put effort in. I think it does take talent and practice to take good underwater photography and make the picture look outstanding, it is not just the marine life.

Oh please, get off your high horse. Photoshop can only help so far and it takes talent and time to post process. I don't see backscatter when I see marine life (well not often anyway) but I do see it when my photos turn out (no strobe :( which can help lower the amount of backscatter)

For example, here is one of my favourite shots (dunno why I like it but I do, don't care what others think of it, photography is about pleasing me):

3237_92640088689_729713689_2446829_2096698_n.jpg

I spent about 10mins removing backscatter and did slight colour correction in Picasa (I don't own photoshop either). This is the original:

n729713689_1942809_6828.jpg

The second shot is not what I saw. The post processed shot is what I saw. Backscatter makes things ugly and I hate seeing photos come out that I love but are ruined by backscatter. It's not a competition so who cares how others do it as long as the shots make them happy? No way is the correct way and it is incredibly pretentious to say otherwise.

Lovely work...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom