Underwater photography course recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unaware6905

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am an experienced land photographer. I am very happy with those skills and photos. However, I am very disappointed in the underwater photos I have been taking. I cannot seem to get well focused shots, well lit shots, and frankly they are boring. I am curious about attending an underwater photography course to get some one-on-one instruction. Does anyone have any experience, advice, and/or recommendations for such courses?

Reef Photo and Video does a photography course, as does Pura Vida, in West Palm Beach. Mickey Charteris, at Cocoview Dive Resort, does a week long course also.

I think of underwater work as being the "backwards, on high heels" of photography. The task loading is intense, and there's a lot to think about for even simple images. To your question, PADI has online photography instruction, which couples with dives for a merit badge. Backscatter has lots of good instructive videos, many of which are geared to specific equipment. I am a big fan of Martin Edge's book, The Underwater Photographer--it covers a lot of ground quite well, and I review the lighting section regularly. Unaware, what camera and lights are you using?

While I haven't taken their class, I like Reef Photo. I have taken Mikey's class and he is amazing. I would also throw in a Mike and Mike trip on Aggressor.

I think of underwater work as being the "backwards, on high heels" of photography. The task loading is intense, and there's a lot to think about for even simple images. To your question, PADI has online photography instruction, which couples with dives for a merit badge. Backscatter has lots of good instructive videos, many of which are geared to specific equipment. I am a big fan of Martin Edge's book, The Underwater Photographer--it covers a lot of ground quite well, and I review the lighting section regularly. Unaware, what camera and lights are you using?
I can see what you mean about the complexity of underwater photography. I have watched a lot of Backscatter videos and used their suggested settings. I don't think it's a hardware problem for me. I have an Olympus E-M10 Mark IV, Octo housing, and single YS-D3 II strobe (second one on its way). I guess I'll just have to keep plugging away and try not to get discouraged.

I can see what you mean about the complexity of underwater photography. I have watched a lot of Backscatter videos and used their suggested settings. I don't think it's a hardware problem for me. I have an Olympus E-M10 Mark IV, Octo housing, and single YS-D3 II strobe (second one on its way). I guess I'll just have to keep plugging away and try not to get discouraged.

I shoot the same camera, albeit I use different strobes. Backscatter has a newly released video for the Olympus camera using the RC mode, if you have not seen it yet give it a look. I'm a huge fan of Backscatter and their videos but I also know they have their own way of doing things. I use their suggestions as a starting point but then I tweak my settings for what works for me.

I would not pay the money to a "wannabe professional UW photographer" for one-to-one teaching (as many offering such courses are). Instead read the book by Martin Edge (cited above), even better to my opinion (didactically excellent) is "Underwater Photography Masterclass" by Alex Mustard.

Afterwards a course within a small group and learn from a real master, who is very patient and didactically skilled (I made two workshops so far and can only recommend his workshops): WORKSHOPS – ALEX MUSTARD

Wolfgang

I would not pay the money to a "wannabe professional UW photographer" for one-to-one teaching (as many offering such courses are). Instead read the book by Martin Edge (cited above), even better to my opinion (didactically excellent) is "Underwater Photography Masterclass" by Alex Mustard.

Afterwards a course within a small group and learn from a real master, who is very patient and didactically skilled (I made two workshops so far and can only recommend his workshops): WORKSHOPS – ALEX MUSTARD

Wolfgang
I appreciate the advice. I've ordered both of those books, and will keep those courses in mind.

Back
Top Bottom