Hey guys what are your opinions of the scubapro nighthawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife recently purchased the LadyHawk. If I didn't already have a backplate, I'd be certainly eyeing the Knighthawk. From everything I've seen with her diving, it's a very well made piece of equipment. She's only had it a little while though, so I really can't comment on it's long-term durability. Sure beats the hell out of a jacket.

The air2 with the long inflator hose is the one thing I'm not too happy about, but then I'm not diving it and she loves it. So what are you going to do? Dive and be happy.

I have a couple of pretty hard seasons on mine and love it, my last being an SP classic
the only slight fading is on the neck roll. the pockets are crap, but then I really don't use pockets so...It fits me like a glove and so far has been extremely durable,not a single point of wear or failure. Good weight system (release) rear non release wt. pockets, excellent tank band, stainless D's, low drag and plenty of dumps make it pretty user friendly. and, as was said by Jack, you can find them on ebay for a good deal. Got mine that way for $325.00 with a 4th gen air 2. For the most part my OMS BPW stays in the gear box, the Hawk is just too comfy to give up!

OK, how many threads do we need about the Scubapro Knighthawk?

Here is what I think of it. I almost bought on but figured out I could get exactly what I wanted, but cheaper, with BP/W. I am rigging my harness today, but am waiting on my wing from NE dive supply before the BP/W is done.

Don

Dragon2115:
Better question, how many BP&W hijacks do we need? :eek:fftopic: :joke:

Hit the nail on the head there Bro!
Love my Knighthawk.

Thanks for all your comments, I have bought the nighthawk and put about 20 dives on it already and find that it is a very good bcd. As for the pockets they are completely useless including the roll down one, but I don't use them so this isn't a problem at all.

hoosier:
Nitro seems to have a lot of questions before getting new gear right after joining in the board J

Which regs would you choose out of MK25/X650/R390 ATX 200/40 or Aqualung legend LX
http://www.scubaboard.com/t92833-which-regs-would-you-choose-out-of-mk25x650r390-atx-20040-or-aqualung-legend-lx.html

Help please guys... Who else bought their D9 from divetank??

http://www.scubaboard.com/t92064-help-please-guys-who-else-bought-their-d9-from-divetank.html

Hey guys what are your opinions of the scubapro nighthawk
http://www.scubaboard.com/t92828-hey-guys-what-are-your-opinions-of-the-scubapro-nighthawk.html

BTW, where are you? You seem to be on board after midnight. You must be in the different time zone. You never answer this question though.

I am wondering how long you have dived and how many logs you made so far?
You said you are an instructor for the open water, didn't you?

You don't have any DMs or instructors near by you.... Why don't you try to use and feel SP and Apeks gears? Based on your past expereinces in the scuba field, I think you can answer almost all your questions by yourself rather than anyone else.

If you are reluctant to use Knighthawk, you had better stick to SP Glide series (relatively cheap) It was not succeesful in U.S. market, but has a good reputation in EU. I am wearing SP Classic plus, Knighthawk, and Glide (only in the pool). I don't feel that much difference in underwater between Knighthawk and Glide. My buddy said that Knighthawk is more streamline on me though

I have been diving for quite a few years now, and I have used most equipment but this doesn't mean I don't want to know what others think even if I can answer my own quetions. I didn't say I was an instructor I said I was going to use the equipment to teach or instruct open water. I am an asistant instructor and divemaster would you like my certfication number so you can check? The number of logged dives does not indicate the number of dives I have actually done.

Hey now.... :)

The question was what people thought about the Knighthawk. I looked hard at the Knighthawk, the various zeagles, and seaquest balance. None of these was what I wanted to spend that kind of dough on.

It wasn't that big of a stretch, seeing that I was in the same position not too long ago. If they are looking at the Knighthawk they may be looking for what I was. The Knighthawk looks to be borderline "tech".

I really do not care what anyone buys. I was just presenting an option that may get them what they really want. :)

No one piece of equipment is for every diver. My wife needed a new BC also. She wanted another seaquest Diva. Not a BP/W. She wanted what she had always had and she was not ready to change. So I bought it for her.

Buy and use what makes you (or your wife!) happy and safe! :)

It's all good.

Don

Hi Don,

My point was quite simply that if you look through many of the other threads asking for advice on whatever bc you will see that eventually it gets hijacked by the BP&W crowd expounding the virtues of their chosen path. There are so many BP&W threads that it's pretty safe to say that if someone wanted to learn about them they would have no problem finding the info they seek.

That said, I did the same analysis not long ago between the Knight Hawk (and other similar bc's) and various BP&W's. The cost didn't come out favorably for the BP&W. Using your own profile the back plate is $80, the 2 pc STA is $50, the harness is $45, and the wing is $300. That's $475 and it still doesn't have any weight integration or any storage pockets yet. (To be fair I have to say that the Knight Hawk can be considered as not having any pockets either. Although it does have one you can use if you're desperate.) I price the Knight Hawk in a local shop at $495 so there isn't any huge cost savings going the BP&W route. There should be given the construction and materials, but they aren't when all is said and done. [edit added] I feel the prices for these wings are way out of line from what they should be. Correct that and the BP&W will have the price advantage it should.

By hunting around a little I found a used Knight Hawk from a dealer that shows no sign of ever being in the water. It came with an Air 2 and upon checkout found everthing to be working perfectly. I paid $225 for it.

Now, to be fair to the BP&W. This configuration lends itself to reconfiguration like no other bc out there. And that is a very appealing feature to some. If someone were leaning toward eventual tec diving it would be to their advantage to go this route since they are going to end up there anyway.

You're right that no one piece of gear is going to work for everyone. Unfortunately some of the BP&W folks still need to figure that out. :)

Back
Top Bottom