Hi from Missouri!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluOrchid2:
Welcome from another Missourian. :) We're in the KC area, and went to Cozumel in January 04. You'll love it. :D

Well hello K.C.! Nice to know I have a few neighbors out here! Where do you do most of your diving?

Hi and welcome to the SB. There are several of us in the St Louis area that regularly dive, every weekend when possible. We dive Table Rock, Mermet in IL, Bull Shoals (I personally have not been there yet). Feel free to PM me for details.

In fact, I have a trip going to Mermet this weekend if you care to go. There are currently 4 of us.

Brian

Tabasco1955:
I am new to ScubaBoard so an introduction is in order. I live in Central Missouri and dive the lakes in Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas. I have not had an ocean dive yet but am planning a dive trip to Cozumel in January which I am looking forward to very much! I have been actively diving for about 3 years now, I am currently certified by SSI but was origianlly certified by PADI back in 1982. I was actively diving for about a year and then stopped until 3 years ago. I am soon to complete my Master Diver certification and plan to do so in the next month or two. I am looking for a dive buddy/buddies in my general area so I can get more diving in without being limited to organized and group dives.

I am currently considering/researching pony tanks and underwater cameras/housings and would appreciate input from those of you that are knowledgable in these areas.

Feel free to drop me a line anytime, for any reason, even if only to say Hi!

Haven't done much diving, I'm afraid. OW cert was done in Beaver Lake, AR....then Epcot's Living Seas while on vacation, and then Cozumel and off the Riviera Maya coast, south of Cancun. That's it! FAR TOO LITTLE.

Welcome to SB! So...how is the capital of Missouri?
You'll enjoy your stay here at SB; great place to learn, to fight and laugh...you'll see!
Wish you all the happy divings in the world...and take care of the histoplasmosis!!!

bebo:
Welcome to SB! So...how is the capital of Missouri?
You'll enjoy your stay here at SB; great place to learn, to fight and laugh...you'll see!
Wish you all the happy divings in the world...and take care of the histoplasmosis!!!

The capital on Mo if alive and well, not much diving here though! Thanks for the welcome bebo, you have a good one!

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

Pony bottles are very popular for discussion around here - Por & Con. I don't dive without mine, but I'm just now getting it where I can hang it upside down and turn it on and off easily. Some would say it should be carried in a way that it can be handed off, but I am not interested in handing mine off. It's first and foremost for my needs, although I will offer air to anyone who needs it - from my primary or pony. They just have to follow me.

When I compared sizes, weights, and prices, I chose a 19 cf. The 13 cf is not that much lighter or cheaper, whereas the 30 cf is a big jump. A 6 cf might be enough for ascent and stops, but as long as I'm going to carry one, with a reg and hangar, why not spend/carry just a bit more.

I'm not bing on cameras, but I'm hacking around. If it weren't for digital, I wouldn't bother. BTW, when you get to Cozumel, be sure to tell the Dive Guides (some of whom may actually be Dive Masters?) that you are a Master Diver, but you've never dived off a boat or in the ocean.

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile? Some ideas for your Profle might be taken from looking at mine. Click on my Username to the upper left, then click on my Profile, and see what I've done. For your's, click the [CP] in the upper left of the screen, then click [Edit Profile]. If you need any more help, PM me direct.

:D

For those "locals" planning a dive to Bonne Terre, when you make your reservations--ask for the "St. Louis pricing or special". Unfortunately, these are NOT the morning dives--but you are able to save some money if you are willing to make the dives in the afternoon!

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Becarefull, it's addictive!!!

Good friends and good info. What could be better?!?!?!?!

P.S. - Don't forget to fill out your profile.

BluOrchid2:
Haven't done much diving, I'm afraid. OW cert was done in Beaver Lake, AR....then Epcot's Living Seas while on vacation, and then Cozumel and off the Riviera Maya coast, south of Cancun. That's it! FAR TOO LITTLE.

Well, after all the places you have been diving, I don't imagine Beaver, Table Rock, Bull Shoals, or Norfork hold much intrigue for you. I am really looking forward to diving Cozumel this Winter but that is the one thing that scares me, I still very much love diving the lakes here in Missouri but I'm afraid once I dive in the ocean, the lakes here won't seem nearly as exciting as they do now. Oh well, that's just a chance I have to take! I dive every chance I get, I guess I have logged about 17 dives so far this Summer and plan to log many more, some this weekend. We are doing 2 or 3, day dives and 1 night dive at Table Rock this weekend and I have an invitation to go with a group to Mermet next weekend but I'm not sure yet if I will be able to make it or not. You guys really need to get out and dive more if you really enjoy it, the Summer, and life is too short not to!

DandyDon:
Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

Pony bottles are very popular for discussion around here - Por & Con. I don't dive without mine, but I'm just now getting it where I can hang it upside down and turn it on and off easily. Some would say it should be carried in a way that it can be handed off, but I am not interested in handing mine off. It's first and foremost for my needs, although I will offer air to anyone who needs it - from my primary or pony. They just have to follow me.

When I compared sizes, weights, and prices, I chose a 19 cf. The 13 cf is not that much lighter or cheaper, whereas the 30 cf is a big jump. A 6 cf might be enough for ascent and stops, but as long as I'm going to carry one, with a reg and hangar, why not spend/carry just a bit more.

I'm not bing on cameras, but I'm hacking around. If it weren't for digital, I wouldn't bother. BTW, when you get to Cozumel, be sure to tell the Dive Guides (some of whom may actually be Dive Masters?) that you are a Master Diver, but you've never dived off a boat or in the ocean.

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile? Some ideas for your Profle might be taken from looking at mine. Click on my Username to the upper left, then click on my Profile, and see what I've done. For your's, click the [CP] in the upper left of the screen, then click [Edit Profile]. If you need any more help, PM me direct.

:D

Thanks for the reply and info Dandy Don! It sounds like you came to about the same conclusion I did about the size of the pony, I think I have decided on the 19 cf myself, I consider it to be the smallest size I can get that will still give me a reasonbable amount in a difficult situation. I still don't know enough about the types of mounts or how to carry it yet to have come to a conclusion on that.

In my opinion, digital is the only way to go for someone who is going to have to buy a new camera. Not that I have anything against film, I own one myself, but it seems to me digital is more flexible and has more capabilities.

Actually, I have done lots of boat diving, just not in the ocean. Thanks again for the info and I'll remember the advice for the dive guides!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom