HI, new guy from England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi im the new guy .
I'm interested in becoming an instructor at some level or other and making an income from a passion . Does any one know of any goverment grants towards this ( I live in the uk with my family so wouldn't be going abroad ) or is it possible to obtain a student loan ( I'm 43 ) .
I look forward to any feedback, maybe there is another way of doing this that I have not thought of please let me know.

Many schools have scuba available. you pay like 30 a class and the state pays the rest. so go form zero to hero and use the money for equipment.

Many schools have scuba available. you pay like 30 a class and the state pays the rest. so go form zero to hero and use the money for equipment.
Thanks for the reply , but we don't have that here in England unfortunately . But still hopefully there is a way .

Welcome to SB. A great place to learn and contribute.

Hi im the new guy .
I'm interested in becoming an instructor at some level or other and making an income from a passion . Does any one know of any goverment grants towards this ( I live in the uk with my family so wouldn't be going abroad ) or is it possible to obtain a student loan ( I'm 43 ) .
I look forward to any feedback, maybe there is another way of doing this that I have not thought of please let me know.
There aren't any grants or funding for scuba in the U.K. Not since the commercial operators abused the NVQ system, many had to pay back the money.

Not that it's impossible to earn a living from teaching scuba, but there are so many zero to hero gap year instructors who will work for nothing it's highly unlikely. Plus in the UK you have to meet HSE standards, like a suitably qualified surface support and a HSE medical - so you can't teach on your own.

If teaching scuba is something you want to do why not become a BSAC instructor with you local club?

There aren't any grants or funding for scuba in the U.K. Not since the commercial operators abused the NVQ system, many had to pay back the money.

Not that it's impossible to earn a living from teaching scuba, but there are so many zero to hero gap year instructors who will work for nothing it's highly unlikely. Plus in the UK you have to meet HSE standards, like a suitably qualified surface support and a HSE medical - so you can't teach on your own.

If teaching scuba is something you want to do why not become a BSAC instructor with you local club?[/QUOTE

If teaching scuba is something you want to do why not become a BSAC instructor with you local club?
Thanks for your reply , I'm at a club at the moment ( padi ) where I dive weekly and just done my dry suit course with them and have booked other courses with as am keen to expand my knowledge . Are you a padi instructor ? And how would I go about converting to the dark side as I have never considered BSAC.

Thanks for your reply , I'm at a club at the moment ( padi ) where I dive weekly and just done my dry suit course with them and have booked other courses with as am keen to expand my knowledge . Are you a padi instructor ? And how would I go about converting to the dark side as I have never considered BSAC.
All the PADI clubs I've seen are just holding pools for the commercial operation, i.e. you pay for everything they provide. In a BSAC club you learn how to plan and do things for yourself. I'm a BSAC instructor and run the South Scotland regional training which is free to the students.

We recognise diving qualifications from other agencies. As a qualified diver you just go diving.

Back
Top Bottom