High prices for Old Gear!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At my age I now know much too late that you shouldn't throw anything out Bubbleboy!

There are 3 versions of the Snark Bob3. Drop in some time and we can look at them and reminisce. I often take one of them into my equipment class to show how beautiful the older regulators were. The Nemrod Snarks were among the most elaborate. You can see them on the vintagescuba site.
For some reason they do not get the big bucks of some of the rarer US regs. You can buy a Nemrod Snark for about $200 which is pretty good as two hose regs go.

on a slightly related subject....

would anybody have ANY old 1st stage single hose regs around?
any condition is fine, working or not, main thing is that they have to be cheap.

Are you looking for the first stage only or an entire reg?
I have several in different states and I usually sell them for about $200 if they are fairly new, in good shape and ready to dive. For non-working about 1/2 that. I have lots of first stages and second stages and hoses from which you could make all the regulators you want.
Private email me if you're interested.

first stage only, mainly interested in the yoke portion.

no offence alec, but looking for quite a bit cheaper than that, mainly looking for the type that bubble boy would be "throwing away" :wink:

I've got an old Conshelf VII and scubapro reg as well as a scubapro bendomatic if anyones intrested

Geek

Great Geek!
That's exactly the kind of info I thought this thread might eventually share - how many readers have any idea what a bendomatic is and why it's called that?
Bendos usually sell for between $50 and $200 depending on their condition and age. There were earlier models than the Scubapro model from which it was copied - all made by SOS but slightly different. I suppose Scubapro gave it legitimacy. Is it still in the case? Do you have the instructions? That kind of info makes a big difference as bob3 indicated.
Send me a picture and I'll make an offer. Include pics of the regs and I might just buy them as well.

I'm sorry Canuck, it may get harder and harder to find throw-aways and I'm partly to blame for that. If you want just a yoke and retainer (the part that holds the yoke to the body) I may have one or two you can have. Is it only the Conshelf yokes you want or any brand? Do you need the body too and how complete if so?
Where are you located? I'll see what I have and you can pick them up or pay the postage.

well alec, your efforts to push the prices of old gear up have been very effective. this is exactly the same as the classic car, boat and motorcycle industry. Speculators trying to make money off the industry is what pushes the prices up, and keeps people with a sincere interest from being able to afford to participate.

I appreciate the offer of the yokes and retainers however, I'm looking for pieces for building a system for filling things like tires and so on from a scuba tank, so I will need a complete 1st stage, does not matter what brand, and thinking about transfill systems, so looking for parts and pieces that I can afford to write off if I mess them up.

and I remembered that a client had given me her late husbands dive mask. She said form the "60"s, but I haven't a clue. It is US Divers "Aqua-Lung". I have looked for other marks or numbers and I cannot find any. A nice "wrap-around" mask. Solid lens on black rubber (?) with heavy white brass frame holding in the lens.....Neat mask, perhaps someone sometime can tell the approx vintage.......

Please don't misunderstand me canuck, I did not push the prices up. I've been collecting vintage scuba gear since before it was vintage. Most of my regulators other than a few I acquired in the last two years cost me nothing or at most $25.
Whether they are worth $25 or $2500 is inmaterial to me - I collected them because I wanted them. They are not for sale. I did not collect them to make money. I show them to many other divers and everyone enjoys seeing and learning about them.

The recent jump in prices is the result of hundreds of other divers deciding they want to recapture their youth and get the 'reg they used to have'. The phenomena is the same as the rocketing prices in hockey cards, antique toys, motorcycles or cars. My contribution has only been to advise divers like yourself about the value of old gear you may have so you would not get taken advantage of. Surely you won't criticize me for telling a diver their old mask is worth more than the $5 someone has offered them for it? Even if that someone is you, my advise is only fair.
I did not contribute to the increase in prices.

When I was in my teens in the mid 60's I enjoyed Classic Comics Illustrated. Some of you may remember them. I had most of my own and managed to find the missing ones so I had a complete set. They origionally sold for 15 cents each. 40 years later the early issues in good condition are worth $500 to $1000. I had no idea that would happen or else I would surely have collected several complete sets.

I do have a couple of 1st stages that would work for you. Lots of divers do the same thing. You can use the air at 140psi for many things including filling tires and running air tools. I also have the adapter so you can use your BC inflator hose to connect to the tire filler, air gun or any other air tools.
I'll give you a complete 1st stage that you'll need to service and make useable. If you want one ready to go I'll sell it to you for $50.

Butch, the mask you describe is from the early 70's and in really good condition might get as much as $150 although $75 to $100 is probably would you should expect. Originally it sold for $39.
I imagine it's like the one at http://www.vintagescuba.com/al/almask6.html .

If it is the model that covers the mouth and has openings for a scuba regulator, it would be much more valuable. See http://www.vintagescuba.com/misc/miscmask1.html .

Let me know if it is either of these. There are other models to compare on the same site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom