History of Scubaboard...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jroy017:
I,f i remember well started by KingNeptune and wife and sold to netdoc around a year or two ago thats when the board changed face was remodeled and ads were added !

It's also when things started going down-hill. This board USED to be a great place to talk serious diving. The really great and knowledgeable contributors were run off in favour of this highly comercial version. I miss SeaJay, Karl, etc. Thank God PUG stayed!

Walter:
Herman, I think Tech Admin is member number 1 and he's still active. Other than him, you might be the oldest active member, you and Natasha both have me beat by two months. You both joined the month SB started operating. Dee is also still active and she joined about the same time I found my way in here.

Your right Walter, I grouped TA in with the original owners/operators and not a "regular" member. I realized I forgot about Dee this morning....serves her right for not being active much lately :)
It would be nice to see Mario or Warhammers names pop back up just for old time sake.

but that's what happens when it's thunderstormy outside...

The original 10 members:

Last Logon Name
1. 08/19/2005 TechAdmin
2. 12/15/2003 Ladydiver
3. 10/18/2001 Scubashark
4. 08-11-2005 Steve_S
5. 12-18-2003 King Neptune
6. 12-02-2003 Mark
7. 02-27-2001 glub glub
8. 02-04-2001 joe
9. 02-27-2001 joiner
10. 09-10-2000 benni

Of the original 100 members, these folks have logged on (hope I didn't miss anybody) this year:

Last Logon Name
24. 08-18-2005 scubajoe
25. 07-14-2005 pdixon
28. 02-08-2005 Erik
37. 08-19-2005 nauifins73
38. 08-10-2005 rainreg
57. 08-20-2005 herman
66. 02-09-2005 PeterS
68. 08-20-2005 Natasha
77. 02-15-2005 Thistle
78. 08-19-2005 cudachaser
80. 07-06-2005 Grateful Diver
94. 06-19-2005 Scuba Cuba

Some other names of note:

235. Walter
244. Dee
319. Warhammer
879. NetDoc
1816. reefraff
21089. H2Andy
48281. crypton (the newest member)

I came on the scene (#1119) and like it has been mentioned in prior posts, you could read every thread and respond all in a day's work.

Doc kept things lively with his parodies and other comical threads, and yes there were some serious threads as well.

Quite a few of the "original" members have gone by the wayside - Mario, JoeW are a couple more that have not been mentioned that also contributed to the early days, and a few others that stirred the pot that I won't mention as well.

I know a lot of people think the board and present format are good, and more than likely it is better than what it used to be but the early years were more fun and we still discussed a lot of diving.

I have met a lot of people from the Board and have had the privilege to dive with quite a few of the members, it is something I remember and will cherish.

I'm still around.....seems like I've almost turned into a greeter! Scubaboard has changed. Somethings for the better and others for the worse. But all change is like that. I am happy to see the change from a "G" rated to board to a bit more of an adult version.
The thing that concerns me most about Scubaboard is that it seems there are "sides" being formed. Read the thread about the Cocoview incident or any of the BP&W threads not to mention DIR. To me it seemed that in the past the "debate" solved the issue not a moderator deleting or closing a thread. I'm not sure it this is really progress.
The thing that I hate the most is that I always seem to miss the good stuff that gets people banned!
I had the pleasure of meeting a few of the Scubaboard members last year at DEMA. I also met Walter at DEMA in Miami. And several other members along the way. Haven't met a bad Scubaboarder yet!
Speaking of DEMA....any Scubaboard thing happening this year?

Joe

Had to blow the dust off of this.
I'm sorry I missed this thread in August. I sometimes take long breaks from SB.
I posted a few days ago, on another thread if anyone remembered King Neptune & there was no response.
There are sure a ton more members now, but I really miss some of the original posters. It was great fun, back in the day & I learned so much here. I wasn't here from the beginning, but still fairly early on.

And Walters Avitar was one of the SB parrots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom