Hitler doesn't need an AOW card.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everybody is offended by something or so it seems. The PC police have been very good convincing people they should be.

Absolutely one of the funniest videos I've ever seen.
RichH

If we substituted Pol Pot of Cambodia for Hitler, and did the same thing, it would not be seen as funny because his atrocities are more recent, and therefore stay in the cultural memory. SeaRat

Give me a break, How many movies are made about the Holocaust, How many Holocaust museums are there? We are reminded of the Holocaust every time someone denies it happened. Hitler is much more ingrained in out cultural memory than Pol Pot or even Mao and Stalin who be some accounts murdered more than Hitler did.

Mike, ams511, etc.,

First, did you notice that Hitler in this flick had HPNS? It's probably from too much deep diving on hydrogen (the Nazis did not have access to helium). :wink:

So far as making a joke, I'm curious what the German translation of what they were actually saying was, and whether it matched the English subtitles. I rather doubt it. It may also have violated some copyrights.

On the surface, this is funny. But this production, unlike MASH or Hogan's Heros where there is a much deeper satire in those than is evidenced here, this is surface-only material (yes, I'm vintage enough to have watched these as they came out). Now, I did not say I was offended, I stated it was inappropriate. There's a big difference. This was a cheap, quick job done on the fly, which trivialized the real nature of the Nazi regime. If you substitute Pol Pot, it is no longer funny. That is a test I make for these kinds of things. Knowing people who are here from Cambodia makes this analogy more real to me. We have one person on this board who originated in Germany, and he said it best that this trivializes what happened to the victims of the Nazi's, whether they be from the Holocaust or from POW camps.

SeaRat

1) If you are going to debate this, y'all should know the meme: Downfall / Hitler Reacts | Know Your Meme

The clip comes from a 2004 German WW2 drama about the last 10 days in the bunker, certainly meant to be serious and not satire. But as far as the subtitled clip, there are over a thousand different versions of this particular clip, in many different languages (eg. "Hitler plans going to Burning Man", etc...).

2) I can think of no better posthumus FU to Hitler than to laugh at him as a figure of fun. See Monty Python, Dr. Seuss' wartime work, Hogan's Heros, the Three Stooges (You Natzy Spy!) etc..

3) Not to be too analytical, but the humor comes from the contrast, that's WHY it's funny. Hitler is such a cultural archetype, to hear him ranting about diving is what makes it hilarious. I guess if you need to explain it, it's not funny. I found it funny (as a Jew with a living uncle who survived the camps as a teenager).

4) Pol Pot? Sure, see if you can get that going...

Well, let's see. Both sides of my family lived under Nazi occupation in different parts of Europe. My old dentist lost both his parents when they were executed for reprisals by the resistance. My aunt remembers seeing people jump to their deaths from buildings used by the Gestapo for interrogations. My grandfather's village was burned down to the ground and everyone who didn't flee into the mountains was executed.

How do I find these videos?

They're freaking hilarious and that monster deserves to be ridiculed. I guess not everyone sees it that way.

We still feel guilty for our grandparent's crimes, you know...

Yup, and that's an interesting discussion in it's own right. On the one hand, why should choices made by people with whom you simply share DNA be your burden? On the other hand, if there are cultural or societal issues that persist throughout the generations, then the current generation MAY have to grapple with the crimes of their ancestors. Not limited to Germans, of course - it's a big issue in the US as well in certain circles, based on crimes that are more distant in time. During the lifespan of the direct victims of the crimes, I guess the guilt might be a bit different.

SO to hijack this thread (and if there ever was a thread that needed hijacking, this is the one!)... how do wreck divers deal with the larger implications of the sites we visit?

I have dived several U-boats off the US coast, and I hope to do Truk Lagoon someday. Two of my best dive buddies are of Japanese and German descent, respectively. How do we address the issues that are obviously "right under the surface"..?

Many wreck divers in the northeast US treat the U-boats as war graves deserving of respect, despite the historical implications. On the other hand, someone who lost their father serving on the RP Resor in 1942 would probably have considered that U-boat crew like we consider the 9/11 hijackers today...

Discuss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom