Hitler doesn't need an AOW card.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of you offended by this, here's a novel concept: Watch. The. Movie.

You'll be less inclined to get on the wrong high horse.

So far as making a joke, I'm curious what the German translation of what they were actually saying was, and whether it matched the English subtitles. I rather doubt it. It may also have violated some copyrights.
SeaRat

This part of the original movie "Der Untergang" (Downfall) has been used for a thousand jokes related to different subjects and posted in youtube. In the beginning, many of those short videos have been banned owing to copyright violation and removed from youtube. However many more appeared and now they are no longer banned. Perhaps this fact gave to the movie a nice publicity and the copyright owners prefered the free publicity instead of the ban.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YLqC3DIgjY

Filming started in 1937 but the premiere was Oct 15, 1940 and editing was going on right up to the end.
The Holocaust started in 1933.
Check some of the dates here:

Holocaust Facts - 33 Things You Should Know

While Hitler and the Nazis were always anti-Semitic, the final solution only came much latter in the war when it was realized that Germany was losing. I do not equate the boycotting of Jewish businesses with the Holocaust.

According to Wikipedia the filming only began in 1939 and finished in 1940. Google gives a release date of January 1, 1940. But either way the Holocaust was not known by average Americans until close to the end of the war in Europe when the camps were liberated. It was probably not completely known until after the war when the full extent of Hitler's hatred was known.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2014 at 07:15 PM ----------

Many wreck divers in the northeast US treat the U-boats as war graves deserving of respect, despite the historical implications. On the other hand, someone who lost their father serving on the RP Resor in 1942 would probably have considered that U-boat crew like we consider the 9/11 hijackers today...

Discuss.

I believe under international law which the US is a signatory that sunken U-boats are war graves and should not be disturbed. As for someone's father dying on board the ship that is irrelevant. There are always casualties in war. Also the Allies also attacked merchant shipping.

the Holocaust was not known by average Americans until close to the end of the war in Europe when the camps were liberated. It was probably not completely known until after the war when the full extent of Hitler's hatred was known.

It wasn't know by the average Germans either.

I love these, The same video with a variety of topics. LOL

I believe under international law which the US is a signatory that sunken U-boats are war graves and should not be disturbed. As for someone's father dying on board the ship that is irrelevant. There are always casualties in war. Also the Allies also attacked merchant shipping.

If you read my post, it wasn't a legal question at all about international treaties or diving law, it was a question about how divers feel personally about the significance of certain wrecks. And if you think that someone killing your father is "irrelevant" in terms of how you feel about them, then I really don't think that there is much that I can add to convince you otherwise.

---------- Post added June 4th, 2014 at 06:04 AM ----------

While Hitler and the Nazis were always anti-Semitic, the final solution only came much latter in the war when it was realized that Germany was losing. I do not equate the boycotting of Jewish businesses with the Holocaust.

Just so you know...

Auschwitz began functioning as a concentration camp (which included the extermination of prisoners - both Jewish and political) when it was founded in 1940. My uncle was held in the Bershad concentration camp in Transnistria as a child. He was 12 when his parents were murdered there in 1941.

But I'm sure that they also boycotted the Jewish businesses.

I don't think it is disrespectful to Hitler in any way what so every. The joke is on the dive shops and dive boat captains and the Government for passing all these laws. When I started diving I didn't have to show anyone a card, passport, birth certificate. We just went diving. As for the boat captains how deep do they know you're going, 50 ft., 100 ft., 150 ft ? Maybe if your diving on the Andra Doran, I'm sure they will have a good idea at how deep your at.
I think it would be even funner to bring it up to date with President Obama.

Bill
dead dog

We still feel guilty for our grandparent's crimes, you know...

don't. no need.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2014 at 12:50 PM ----------

For those of you offended by this, here's a novel concept: Watch. The. Movie.

You'll be less inclined to get on the wrong high horse.

Genau

So this thread has transcended from making fun of AOW cert cards to the Holocaust...Wow never saw that coming from the first post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom