Hitler doesn't need an AOW card.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Sgt. Hulka said in Stripes..."lighten up Frances".

I always find the video amusing. My wife even quotes the video now. "I am not in distress" is her new call as she enters the H20.

I love it...headed to watch again now.

I have loved this video since I first saw it!

Mike, ams511, etc.,

First, did you notice that Hitler in this flick had HPNS? It's probably from too much deep diving on hydrogen (the Nazis did not have access to helium). :wink:

So far as making a joke, I'm curious what the German translation of what they were actually saying was, and whether it matched the English subtitles. I rather doubt it. It may also have violated some copyrights.

On the surface, this is funny. But this production, unlike MASH or Hogan's Heros where there is a much deeper satire in those than is evidenced here, this is surface-only material (yes, I'm vintage enough to have watched these as they came out). Now, I did not say I was offended, I stated it was inappropriate. There's a big difference. This was a cheap, quick job done on the fly, which trivialized the real nature of the Nazi regime. If you substitute Pol Pot, it is no longer funny. That is a test I make for these kinds of things. Knowing people who are here from Cambodia makes this analogy more real to me. We have one person on this board who originated in Germany, and he said it best that this trivializes what happened to the victims of the Nazi's, whether they be from the Holocaust or from POW camps.

SeaRat

Well, let's broaden the spectrum a bit, then. Here's one German who thoroughly enjoyed the the clip, and completely guilt-free at that ...

Re the actual, original subtitles, ... a few inaccuracies here and there, but really nothing of any significance, as far as I remember.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom