Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive 4, the air2 started leaking. I brought it to the shop that did the service, along with the documentation. They charged me full price for another rebuild, basically this told me they didnt stand behind their workmanship. Say what you will, this left a sour taste in my mouth.

Where was the leak coming from? Was it a free-flow or air from the bladder? If it was a free-flow that should have been a very simple adjustment...it would take longer to hook the reg up to the bench or a tank than to adjust that out. From the bladder could be a couple things, none of which should have required a full service.

It was a free flow type of leak...just a tiny one. And yes I agree it shouldnt have required a full service to fix. But its safe and sound now in the bottom of a box, replaced by a standard power inflator and octo and all is well! (actually all of that is in the box since I got the BP/W and HOGs.)

I also hate to throw anything that is still working just for the sake of the change. :)
I have my limits. If it's working it stays. If it's not working, I either repair it, like my Ultrasonic Cleaner, (<=clicky) or it gets tossed.

It was a free flow type of leak...just a tiny one. And yes I agree it shouldnt have required a full service to fix. But its safe and sound now in the bottom of a box, replaced by a standard power inflator and octo and all is well! (actually all of that is in the box since I got the BP/W and HOGs.)

That's what I figured. I bet it needed a slight turn w/a hex hey to work fine. Oh well....ebay it :)

So you always chose to replace the car when your tire is shot :) If it's a seat taking a set the fix takes a minute and costs nowhere near the cost of the second stage.

The analogy doesn't fit either by accident or by design. The car repair joing doesn't try to charge my $10,000 to replace a tire.

The analogy doesn't fit either by accident or by design. The car repair joing doesn't try to charge my $10,000 to replace a tire.

It was an exaduration of cause but honestly for an adjustment my LDS would not edn charge a penny; i would bring the tech a coffee though.

In all fairness and you can see it elsewhere with products coming from big companies its more of the matter of finding a good representative who will treat you well.

You mean someone would actually buy it?!? Maybe I should ebay the Legends too...

I was joking in my first reply but in your shoes I would keep Legends for sure. The AIR2 I would sell but thats just me as Im not fond of the concept.

It was an exaduration of cause but honestly for an adjustment my LDS would not edn charge a penny; i would bring the tech a coffee though.

In all fairness and you can see it elsewhere with products coming from big companies its more of the matter of finding a good representative who will treat you well.

Unfortunatly some LDS's don't like to roll that way. In this case it sounds like the OP was given the "life support" sales pitch and forced to pay for a rebuild when all that was likely needed was a tweak to the orrifice.

I had the same problem with one of my Hog 2nds. I took it apart and tweaked it down and all was well. I'll continue to inspect and adjust as needed for a few years and when it no longer functions correctly I'll take the money that I saved on servicing and buy a new one. I'll probably have money left over so I'll get the old one rebuilt and have a spare. Then if the other one acts up I'll rotate the spare in and get that one rebuilt.

I guess the point is when a dive shop charges say $100 plus parts to rebuild something regardless of it being a $1200 reg set or a $400 reg set the repair / replace choice can be replace easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom