Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes things are cheaper because they are made of inferior materials or have inferior workmanship. Sometimes they are cheaper because the new kid on the block is trying to get a bigger market share and is willing to make less profit per sale in order to do so. Sometimes things are more expensive because they have been around long enough management structure to grow beyond what is really necessary and drive the price of the items up and sometimes a "Brand" gets so big they feel entitled and demand more profit just because they are who they are.

Back in the "good ole days" before Leisurepro became an authorized dealer and DiveInn still shipped Scubapro to the US, you could buy a G250V with a Mk-17 for $350 and sometimes less when they went on sale. When they became an authorized dealer then prices went up and some more than doubled. So there is a large margin in dive gear.

Oh, yeah! A day diving a classic beauty like my 1959 Aqua-Lung DA Aquamaster PRAM double hose! Now that's classy, my friend!:D

Yes!
And I dive a 1960 DA Aquamaster fully original w/ a J valve, no BC, just a Sea Hunt style strap harness on a 1959 1/2" thread 72, and a big Aqualung Seahawk dive knife on my waist belt. That's class.
I also dive the same tank setup but with a 1966 all metal conshelf, one hose coming off the first stage and that's for the second stage, that's it nothing else.
Then I also have for my modern rig a late 70's MK5/109, actually a 109 BA and a regular 109 as an octo. Those regs, for people who don't know what they are, are also all metal regs.
Those are about a good as SP ever got and they've been going down hill ever since, IMO. The rest of my SP isn't even worth mentioning.

Go Hog!
Go Jim Lapenta!
I have seen those regs and like what I see even though I have never dove one, I know enough divers who use them and love them that I trust their word and judgement that Hog is outstanding stuff and if I was ever to start over Hog would be the one I would go with.

I think for my minimalist tendencies, using a DIN Hog on an HP steel with one single second stage, small SPG discreetly clipped off on the left side, no BC on a Freedom Plate, long fins, custom wetsuit, and low volume freediving mask, that would be absolute state of the art modern minimalist diving.

You seem to have a lot of misconceptions, first nobody here hates Scubapro most just feel they are not a good value given choices like Hog. There are many threads on all the major scuba sites discussing in not too flattering terms the discontinuation of the parts for life program. I leave you to look at them. If you are really interested in regulators I suggest you read Vance Harlow's and Peter Wolfinger's books on the subject of reg repair. I also suggest you download the reg repair manuals from Frogkick and some of the other sites, so you can see the actual differences between regulators. The recommended internal pressure of most regulators (including a MK-25) in 135 +/- 10 psi so that number is meaningless. What is more important is how stable a first stage is at keeping that level. The cracking pressure on an S600 is 1.0 - 1.4 where as on a lower-end R295/395 it is 1.2 to 1.8. In comparison, the cracking effort on an Apeks ATX-200 is .8 to 1.4. So Apeks wins the cracking effort battle so does that make it better?

I was going to respond, but I rather stay civil

I will continue to ignore your posts until you man up and apologize

See my last response post to you.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...combo-get-something-better-8.html#post6452186

So from what i've gathered from this thread apex and scubapro regs are like the Lexus LFA while Hog regs are like the Nissan GTR. It offers the same performance, technology, and function for 1/3 of the price.

I will continue to ignore your posts until you man up and apologize

Fascinating. . . you're going to ignore someone by replying to him. . .

Ya know, I had two three year old boys (that was a quite a while ago). Deja vu all over again. . .

Fascinating. . . you're going to ignore someone by replying to him. . .

Ya know, I had two three year old boys (that was a quite a while ago). Deja vu all over again. . .

Yeah, you're right John, thanks to your mature and enlightening contribution to the discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom