Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So from what i've gathered from this thread apex and scubapro regs are like the Lexus LFA while Hog regs are like the Nissan GTR. It offers the same performance, technology, and function for 1/3 of the price.

A VERY GOOD point which I was going to make. For those of you familiar with the automotive world Ferraris and the other high end car manufactures build cars to go as fast as they can. Because of the badges on the front of their cars they charge $300,000 dollars or more. However, Nissan builds the GT-R to go as fast as the can make it go. However, because it is a Nissan it sells for 1/3 the price. The trick is that on the Nurburgring (A famous race track in Germany) it is quicker than those more expensive cars.

Now, for the sake of not stirring up more arguments about which Rag breathes better lets call the cars equal. So, if money is no object they why not buy the Ferrari (Scubapro, Aqua Lung, Apeks). They are the top of the line and are reliable. However, if you are on a "budget" (Scuba is never cheap) then why not buy the Nissan (HOG/Edge). Both regs perform the same and are equally reliable, so based on the descriptions above choose the one which is best for YOU.

Let's all take note that a Cheaper product is not always inferior and should not be assumed it is, until proven.

Beaverdivers, unlike many here, I have nothing against Scubapro, I think you have valid points, at least on the beginning of these type threads, but honestly man, all you're doing now is harm to your own busyness, you're not promoting yourself at all, quite the opposite.

In the end, all you're doing is feeding the hate and destroying your own busyness in the process.

I spent all day U/W breathing off a Scubapro Mk25/S600.

Can you get more Classy than that?
Sure, on a rather routine basis, but I can understand how you'd see that to be an insurmountable challenge.

I was going to respond, but I rather stay civil

I will continue to ignore your posts until you man up and apologize

For the record I did reply to your post so I am not ignoring you. I am not trying to upset you and if I did I am sorry. However, the whole tone of the thread changed once you and "the Beav" showed up. Most of what you quoted me bashing Scubapro were responses to your questions. I am not going to complain that Scubapro does not sell parts to end users (neither does Apeks, Sherwood, or most others) I am not going to applaud Hog for selling parts either (Zeagle and Dive Rite does it also). I am not going to complain about Scubapro "price fixing" because it appears that Hog also has MAP. Where Hog differs from the pack is providing (from reports from actual users) a quality product at an excellent price. If you are diving wrecks at 300 feet and traveling 1,000s of feet into caves, then you will have quite a few regs (backup, stage bottles, deco, etc.) so price and the ability to service your own equipment (while maintaining quality) become very important.

I own Scubapro, Apeks, Sherwood, and Beuchat, I do not own any Hog so I am not a fan boy and have no first hand experience. However, I do have an open mind and listen when divers that own both say there is little to no difference in performance. Divers like Jim Lapenta and TS and M did not wake up one day and decide to sell their old regs and buy Hogs. They bought them dove them saw how they held up and decided to start replacing their old regulators. They reported their findings to the rest of the board and I trust their opinions as well as the opinions of other users that have used both.

---------- Post Merged on August 18th, 2012 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous Post was on August 17th, 2012 at 11:56 PM ----------

+1

I can think of an on-line retailer that just came off my list

It wouldn't be so bad if he actually posted a hot deal now and then.

For the record I did reply to your post so I am not ignoring you. I am not trying to upset you and if I did I am sorry. However, the whole tone of the thread changed once you and "the Beav" showed up. Most of what you quoted me bashing Scubapro were responses to your questions. I am not going to complain that Scubapro does not sell parts to end users (neither does Apeks, Sherwood, or most others) I am not going to applaud Hog for selling parts either (Zeagle and Dive Rite does it also). I am not going to complain about Scubapro "price fixing" because it appears that Hog also has MAP. Where Hog differs from the pack is providing (from reports from actual users) a quality product at an excellent price. If you are diving wrecks at 300 feet and traveling 1,000s of feet into caves, then you will have quite a few regs (backup, stage bottles, deco, etc.) so price and the ability to service your own equipment (while maintaining quality) become very important.

I own Scubapro, Apeks, Sherwood, and Beuchat, I do not own any Hog so I am not a fan boy and have no first hand experience. However, I do have an open mind and listen when divers that own both say there is little to no difference in performance. Divers like Jim Lapenta and TS and M did not wake up one day and decide to sell their old regs and buy Hogs. They bought them dove them saw how they held up and decided to start replacing their old regulators. They reported their findings to the rest of the board and I trust their opinions as well as the opinions of other users that have used both.

---------- Post Merged on August 18th, 2012 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous Post was on August 17th, 2012 at 11:56 PM ----------

It wouldn't be so bad if he actually posted a hot deal now and then.

The MAP is just the Minimum Advertised Price. That just means that a dealer isn't supposed to advertise Edge/HOG regs for a price below that. What the dealer actually sells the regs for is a different matter. The MRP price is that for which the dealer MUST sell the item (within a narrow, defined percentage).

HOG uses MAP.
SP, AL and others use MRP.

I love my hog regulators... and am friends with Beaver Divers! In fact, he's referring to my Hog regulator leaking while in the Sea of Cortez. I was diving some prototype Hog regs and the high pressure seat O-Ring split in two on my left side. When I pulled it apart, I found that the high pressure seat plug had not been tightened correctly. It's not the first reg to fail in this world, and it won't be the last. If I had thought about it, I should have packed both a first and second stage rebuild kit. That's something you can't do with for most regs as individuals are precluded from buying parts. FWIW, Chris wanted me to send back the entire reg: he's getting the O-Ring instead and a little video I took underwater. Chris tests his gear before he offers it for sale, and I am proud that he trusts me enough to let me have first crack at destroying his gear! :D :D :D I also appreciate the fact that while Chris doesn't advertise in Scubadiving magazine: he does advertise right here on ScubaBoard. Ask Chris and he'll tell you that his success with Hog/Edge is attributable to his ability to market right here. No, ScubaBoard isn't the reason for Chris' success, but we are the tool he has chosen to use. The community has responded well to his efforts. Good job Chris!

Hey, not everyone wants to dive a Hog. Beaver Divers really, really loves Scubapro and that's probably why he's one of their top dealers. Think of him as the Jim Lapenta for Scubapro and you'll understand him better as well as accept his choices. He's not evil or stupid either. OK, trying to drain the swamp while surrounded by Gators might have been a mistake, but he is a good diver, with good trim and was the only other person on this trip to dive with redundant air. I would dive with him again with absolutely no reticence.

Rocio_Wed (72).jpg

BTW, as far as I am concerned the very best regulator is the one in your mouth! :D I own, Scubapro, Aqualung, Atomic, Mares, Zeagle, Oceanic as well as others. If you see me in side mount, it's more than likely that I am using my Hogs. That's just reality.

For those who say Beaver is hurting himself.... I doubt it. There's an old saying that bad publicity is better then no publicity.

I've thought about the catagories of divers and whether his message here even gets to them or not and how they would respond and I can't see the down side.

Personally, I find them obnoxious and I'm not sure why I'd order from a 'platinum' dealer in Colorado when I can get the same overpriced opinions from nearby LDS's.

If I were to buy Scubapro, I would probably go through him. He's a nice guy and very knowledgeable about Scubapro! Being passionate about a product or product line is not a crime in my book. I can vouch that all of his gear was Scubapro, so he walks his talk and there is nothing wrong with that. Many people view any public disagreement with themselves as being "obnoxious". It's not, and the prudent diver will weigh all sides of a controversy. Think about it: if we all agreed then ScubaBoard would not be needed. Now THAT would be a tragedy. :D

I agree Netdoc. Being passionate about a product or product line is not a crime. It actually is what you SHOULD be if you are selling that product or product line. Beaverdiver comes across to me as a nice guy and I like his sense of humor (or at least the way it comes across to me here in the networld).

However, his posts at times seem to come across as if he is looking down his nose at any and all other regs. I doubt that this is not his intent (I certainly hope it isnt), but it appears that way to me at times and the way others respond to some of those posts certainly would indicate that they pick up that same vibe.

I LOVE my HOG regs but if someone else likes something else better that is no skin off my nose. If they feel better about paying more....go for it. If they are into looks and feel that some other reg looks classier or shinier or whatever, that is fine with me. Just dont take shots at, or look down your nose at, my regs or the fact that I like to save a buck if I feel I can still get top quality while doing so.

I think the title of this thread is wrong. I think the word 'better' is being confused with 'more expensive'

Back
Top Bottom