Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL but it would take any wiggle room (plausible deniability) away. LOL

Sent from my DROID X2

LOL but it would take any wiggle room (plausible deniability) away. LOL

Nah. It would just bolster his argument.

Not that I have a copy of the ScubaPro Platinum Dealer Agreement in front of me but I'm pretty sure it's going to have a clause in there somewhere to the effect of "we are a team now" and don't let the door slam your back side on the way out if you speak good of any of our competitors.

I have both HOG regs and Scubapro. When first certified I drank the Scubapro Koolaid. I still own an MK25 and an MK2 and plan to keep both for various reasons.

The first reg I go to is the HOG these days. Sometimes I dive redundant first stages with both the HOG and MK25. Both perform well. The MK25 has nothing on the HOG. My next set will be another HOG.

What I don't like about Scubapro is not performance related, but more about the attitude of many dealers and the pompous nature the ever evolving warranty process.

I have both HOG regs and Scubapro. When first certified I drank the Scubapro Koolaid. I still own an MK25 and an MK2 and plan to keep both for various reasons.

The first reg I go to is the HOG these days. Sometimes I dive redundant first stages with both the HOG and MK25. Both perform well. The MK25 has nothing on the HOG. My next set will be another HOG.

What I don't like about Scubapro is not performance related, but more about the attitude of many dealers and the pompous nature the ever evolving warranty process.

Sacrilege!

Sent from my DROID X2

Nah. It would just bolster his argument.

Not that I have a copy of the ScubaPro Platinum Dealer Agreement in front of me but I'm pretty sure it's going to have a clause in there somewhere to the effect of "we are a team now" and don't let the door slam your back side on the way out if you speak good of any of our competitors.

But in the face of the ultimate truth we would know.

Sent from my DROID X2

OK, I'll bite. . . where does the condensation come from ?

The condensation comes from your own warm, moist breath collecting on metal parts inside the second stage. Modern, plastic regulators do not catch much condensation like the old style, all metal regulators did. Some of the better new regulators have metal air tubes that help some, but they aren't as effective as the classic, all metal regulators of yesteryear. That is one of the reasons I love the older Conshelf series regulators with their chromed, brass second stages; there is little to no dry mouth to contend with.

From my perspective the constant "HOG is the best" gets tiresome. But then a constant "ScubaPro is the best" gets tiring too.

The only person who claims Scubapro is the best is Scubapro, "Deep down you want the best". Although some people do claim the Scubapro Pilot was the best regulator ever made. We will never know which reg is best because "best" is subjective and we would need to try them all. What I find objectionable was BD talking bad about a competitor he knows nothing about. When challenged about his statements he says people are slandering Scubapro. When in fact people aren't, they are just pointing out his untruths.

All of us have bad dive shop stories and most of us do not want to see other divers make expensive mistakes. In another thread someone wanted to buy used regs for $150 from one dive shop and another LDS chimes in and gives the "life support" line and offers to sell him a set of regs for $1,400 when he should be able to get a full set of good gear for that.

not that this really means much, but if you go to the reg classifieds section there are 20 for sale ads for scuba pro regs and only 2 for HOGs. but there is also many many more scuba pro regs floating around as compared to HOG.

not that this really means much, but if you go to the reg classifieds section there are 20 for sale ads for scuba pro regs and only 2 for HOGs. but there is also many many more scuba pro regs floating around as compared to HOG.

You are right. That means nothing. Each of the SP sales could be to replace them with new SP regs. And the HOG could be to fund new SP regs......the classified section has no relevance to this discussion unless there is a specific reason given for the sale taking place.

The only person who claims Scubapro is the best is Scubapro, "Deep down you want the best". Although some people do claim the Scubapro Pilot was the best regulator ever made. We will never know which reg is best because "best" is subjective and we would need to try them all. What I find objectionable was BD talking bad about a competitor he knows nothing about. When challenged about his statements he says people are slandering Scubapro. When in fact people aren't, they are just pointing out his untruths.

All of us have bad dive shop stories and most of us do not want to see other divers make expensive mistakes. In another thread someone wanted to buy used regs for $150 from one dive shop and another LDS chimes in and gives the "life support" line and offers to sell him a set of regs for $1,400 when he should be able to get a full set of good gear for that.

BD has an opinion, just like you and everybody else. The "life support" line is used often, it comes in many different flavors. Personally I wouldn't buy a used reg. Everyone here is more than entitled to buy a used reg. It is unlikely that I would buy a used reg. Nor would I buy a reg for $1400. I don't have to have a reason that makes sense to anyone but me. It's my money, not yours.

I have read this entire thread. It went from a discussion about gear and progressed to a list of personal insults and accusations. Neither side won. It won't change what I buy or where I buy it.

Back
Top Bottom