Hog -Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just spent the weekend diving the rig and really like it, I haven't done much modification to it yet because it didn't seem to need much. I tightened down the bungee on the top half of the rig to keep the bulk of the air in the lower half near the butt plate. I do have my inflator mounted on the lower port near the bottom of the bladder and have a plug in the middle port. I don't see the need to have a dump valve on the bottom as I find the dump placed behind the neck to be enough. The rig balanced out nicely for me with two HP 100s and only took a few minutes to get used to. I tightened the tank bungees a little bit with a small knot.

A few things I like include the bungee system, which can be adjusted quickly unlike the nomad and others. The additional D-rings built into the metal slide placed on each of the shoulder straps makes attaching items really easy. The adjustability of the belt makes the rig pretty versatile for varying heights. I like the general low profile and compact design of the rig and the shoulder straps being attached to the wing helps with this. It really is lightweight and perfect for travel. You really can't beat the price on the unit, and it is very durable in my opinion.

similar to others, I looked at it in comparison with the contour and the SMS75. The contour felt bulky and way overpriced to me, the hog felt flimsy and home-made (from cheap materials-the walmart rig), the SMS75 was just right (with a few mods).

Thanks for the reports. I've been waiting to hear about the Hog sidemount for a while.
I'm looking for a light weight travel rig, that I can drysuit/wreck dive here in great lakes area.
I haven't examined one yet., Have asked local HOG dealer (in Kingston, On) to bring one in.

Mike D

Well, I've got mine set up and just waiting to get it wet this weekend. So far, yes it's light and could pack small. Travel-wise I think it would work ok other than the stiff plate but that folds as well. Had to relocate the belt lower (I'm 6'3") and put the Inflator to the middle back position as the elbow felt uncomfortable when lower. Not a fan of the left shoulder dump but I'll dive it an see.

Thanks for the reports. I've been waiting to hear about the Hog sidemount for a while.
I'm looking for a light weight travel rig, that I can drysuit/wreck dive here in great lakes area.
I haven't examined one yet., Have asked local HOG dealer (in Kingston, On) to bring one in.

Mike D

While I haven't dove them, I've been looking at a few rigs that would travel better than my sms75, and would not need the lift to carry my steel tanks. Since you'll be diving dry, these light rigs might work for you too - i think the sms50 sport, with a little modification, seems like a nice budget rig. Otherwise, I've considered the Diverite LT cave and extreme models (for different purposes). The razor seems very nice too, and has more lift i think, but at great expense. I do wonder if someday I will go tot he razor so that I have one travel-ready BC for all applications.

Back
Top Bottom