Hog wing and manta BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim, that suggestion was based on the fact that the angled shoulder slots are in line with the cam slot which is not something I have ever seen on any other backplate. If it was a normal one I wouldn't be suggesting he reweave it. Stick the sex bolt where the harness crosses over and grab the wing with it and call it good, but this one you either have to run the webbing up higher, or through the cam slot. Higher means more torque on the sex bolt holding the harness in and then subsequently means a potential PITA on doubles down the road, so that one is subpar. This plate design is very strange indeed.

Use an STA and none of the above is an issue. Right tool for the right job.

I did notice that the crossover part of the harness with the grommet seems to interfere with the upper cam band slot, although I thought it might just be something in the photo. It looks to me like the upper slot is just cut too high. I kind of doubt that you could get both the harness strap and the cam band through the same slots, but maybe you can. You could not use a sex bolt in that spot unless you punched a hole in the cam band.

What I would do is simply cut the upper cam band slots lower, basically extend them downward so that you can put the cam band lower. That gives you more flexibility in positioning the tank anyway.

the way the cam band slots are cut on the hog wing there is a boat load of adjustment there. It is a strange design on the plate, but it looks like the slot is wide enough to get the two straps through there. I'm a fan of STA's for a reason though....

Hmm, I'm getting some some screws to set it in place, but I'm think I'm going to try it out in a pool first with the way Jim had said and test it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom