Hollis F2 - brilliant fins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having used a pair of Deep Outdoor Sixgills fins (aka APS Mantaray fins) for many years and over 400 dives and loving them, I was obliged to replace them finally. I bought a pair of Hollis F2 fins, identical in every way to the previous fins except that Hollis made them rather stiffer. I was sceptical before using them but having taken them to to my Bali/Wakatobi trip the past 3 weeks and doing 48 dives with them, I congratulate Hollis on a great job. The Hollis F2s are simply fantastic fins in every way; they have significantly improved on the already good propulsion force of the predecessor. But the real difference is how well the Hollis manages if the diver needs to swim against a current. That was perhaps Deep Outdoors' one Achilles heel but not so with the F2s. Also, the F2s are just as good with tight manoevring that I need for macro and other UW photography.

I agree that being 'fin happy' is important. When the split fins arrived several years ago, the Dive Club I belonged to bought a few pairs and the DM let me try some of them at the local quarry. I hated them aned ended up getting pain in both hips that lasted a few days. Yet, I know lots who love them.

More recently in the Cayman Isles, I borrowed a pair of Scubapro Seawing Nova from another diver who was too under the weather to dive himself. Great forward propulsion but poor for tight turns and awkward manoevering.

A lot of lightweight divers, particulalry women, swear by Tusa Imprex fins.

Agreed,

Just tried the Hollis F2 too today and so far I think it is currently the "best" fin for me.. :D
Good propulsion for the small size and weight.
Still waiting for the Oceanic Accel to arrive to compare it with the F2.

Tried the Hollis F1 Yellow Tip too today and I hurt my ankle.. :(

I currently use the F2 for my travel fin and the F1 for my non travel fin. The F2 performed fine for me in mild to moderate current and has fantastic maneuvering with all kicks. Great fin for a trip to Bonaire or somewhere with low current diving. Yuri, no doubt about it the F1 is a beast of a fin, but the power it gives makes up for it's angry nature.

Yes, after trying quite some fins (AquaLung SlingShot, ScubaPro Seawing Nova, Atomic Aquatics Split Fins and BladeFin, Poseidon Trident Jet Fin, Gull Super Mew XX) so far the Hollis F1 are the heaviest, granted the power is great. (The other fin that hurts my ankle too was the AquaLung Slingshot)
Still have lot's of fin waiting to be tried, I still have the Apeks RK3, Mares Avanti Quattro+, Mares X-Stream, and incoming Oceanic Accel, Mares Power Plana and ScubaPro Seawing Nova2 Gorilla left to try.
Gonna keep the ones I like and sell the rest.. :D

Yes, after trying quite some fins (AquaLung SlingShot, ScubaPro Seawing Nova, Atomic Aquatics Split Fins and BladeFin, Poseidon Trident Jet Fin, Gull Super Mew XX) so far the Hollis F1 are the heaviest, granted the power is great. (The other fin that hurts my ankle too was the AquaLung Slingshot)
Still have lot's of fin waiting to be tried, I still have the Apeks RK3, Mares Avanti Quattro+, Mares X-Stream, and incoming Oceanic Accel, Mares Power Plana and ScubaPro Seawing Nova2 Gorilla left to try.

You might want to add the Cressi ARA EBS fins to your list. They come in a hard blade version as well.

Are you my long lost twin?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom