Home built spear gun.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some guys buy PVC pipe at a hardware store and screw endcaps on, add a handle and you have a case for shipping.

I've also heard of snowboard cases being used.

Ralph

Originally posted by JSC
I am in Louisiana so I am not sure if I will get the gun with it or not:).

JSC

LOL!! Maybe so. :) The only other idea I have would be for you to get a good woodworker/cabinetmaker to make you one out of wood. But it too would be heavier than plastic. Or maybe a millright to do one out of billet aluminum. I can't think of anyone that does custom plastic work. Looks like the speargun manufactors would be making something.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am considering buying another gun but it would probably be a few inches longer :). However I have found two companies that are going to quote me custom ABS plastic cases. I will let you know if it is reasonable or if would be cheaper just to buy my own jet :).

Thanks again,

JSC

For ~$120 you can get the "expandable" ski tubes. The ABS tubes elongate to accommodate skis of different lengths. The tubes come in a single size and a larger size to accommodate two sets of skis. You'll probably want some padding to wrap the gun before putting into the case... I use foam camping mats (~$5) to protect my skis.

Hope this helps. I'll try to provide some links.

I use to spear fish and have seen a lot that can go wrong with spear guns. The amount of pressure the bands put on the trigger is amazing. They can wear out fast and become extremely dangerous. I have seen them go off when the safety was released as well as impossible to pull the trigger after the bands are in place.

Spear guy manufactures have gone through the learning curve. You would have to know which parts to harden and how to polish your trigger. If you are bent on building one, buy the trigger assembly from a dealer and build around it.

DANGER - :nono: I seen a guy cut his leg to the bone from using the wrong material for the main body. As he was securing his last of 3 bans the force was too much for the body, it bent and shoved jagged metal into his leg. If you don't know, you typically put the butt of the gun on your leg to hold it in place and pull the bans down to the slots. Also, don't load them out of the water - not safe.

Good luck.

Sounds like you have all the experience you need to research making your own gun, in the early days people usually did make their own guns. The trigger system is one of the more critical parts, as dysfunctions can cause serious injuries, as I'm sure you can imagine. There are a number of articles on the web re: spearguns. As someone who shoots regularly I am pleasantly suprised to find out that in general, even with all our technology the rubber band guns are still some of the best guns for spearfishing, with the right tip you can even kill all the carps that are trying to tell you you cannot build your own gun:) zeN||

Of course it can be home made. I'll make my first attempt at attaching a photo. If it works you'll see a vintage (1956) spear fisherman and his gear of choice. Obviously home made.

In Kentucky we also tend to make the beverage ourselves, too!

KY Dan

I'll upload the photo to an FTP site sometime soon, so it can be <href'ed> from there. In the meantime, PM me if you want a copy of the photo.

KYD

As far as gun bags go they make padded speargun bags for any length gun. Just search for any website that specializes in spearfishing/freediving. (Hanapaa hawaii, pirate scuba, blue ater hunter, nor cal freedive etc). I think they start around 75- or so, cheaper than rifle cases/

These sites will also have info for building your own guns. Most people who make there own build teak guns. You could make an alluminum or stainless tube gun as well, but a teak mid-handle might be just what the Dr. ordered for rig diving down south.

It's easy to pick up trigger mechs for a wood gun and the main ones all rate really well for loads before failure. There's a ton of info about this sort of thing on deeperblue.net in the forums. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom